Contributions from the other half...

Started by lionwing, July 16, 2013, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oreamnos

This is a very fun little thread!

Mrs. Oreamnos has shown a keen interest and has supplied feedback at times about what I'm doing or in what I'm planning but she has not expressed any interest in actually participating.

Parcels that arrive at the door usually prompt a snarkey comment which admittedly is sometimes deserved especially when yes I actually do "have one of those already," and she doesn't see a newly released livery on a model of a prototype I already own as warranting a purchase.  Fair enough.  But she doesn't stop me and as voiced by others, when there is a bargain to be had she will sometimes encourage me to take advantage of it.

She once expressed gratitude for my hobby, saying, "At least it keeps you home and I know where you are."

Matt

Oakland Raider

Lynn has always taken a keen interest and makes some very good suggestions to improve both the layout and its website. All the card kits have been put together by her as she makes greeting cards and is my expert on all things card or glue related.
Keith

painbrook

Silly Moo, bubble burst :(. Cheers john.

TBR

My other half has a input into my models and layout. I've caught her a few time taking a peak at the Model Rail magazines. She loves the end result of ballasting and will watch me weather my wagons. She has offered to build me a tram stop which I'll be pleased to see.
She's also my emergency signaller when my crossover points fail! (Note to self. Get that CDU)

Bealman

This IS an interesting thread. Thanks for kicking it off, lionwing!  :thumbsup:

Back in the early 1990s I was a member of a local N gauge model railway club, and started up a monthly newsletter. I couldn't think of a name for it, but Mrs Bealman came up with 'N-Gauging Times'
which I thought was pretty good.

Other people did too, apparently - at the time we used to send it off from here in Oz to the Manchester mob (MMRS?) and they, in return, would send theirs. We got a mention in one of their issues in which they referred to "the charmingly named N-Gauging Times", so she was quite chuffed.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Belated

I am delighted - and relieved - to say that Kathy is also supportive of my modelling.  Even to the point of when we were house hunting 2 years ago, she insisted that we both had to have room for our hobbies.  Mine have somewhat overflowed since then but she still makes no complaint and helps with suggestions.
:thumbsup:
30 years ago, Kathy and her mother nearly came to blows over who would build the model of Baden Baden station I had bought, I never got a look in.  She did a far better job than I could have.  When I have a problem, I still bounce ideas off her and she often has a solution.
:angel:  :thumbsup:  :D
John
John

Flounder

Mrs Flounder has been very accommodating about my hobby.  As has been mentioned, she knows where I am! 

We have moved every 4 or so years so the railway has only ever got to track and electrics stage, never scenary.  However, I have always been given generous room for it.  The railway room was number 3 on our wish list for our current house and we found one with a converted garage.  Mrs Flounder is worried about my stock suffering with temperature change and so has agreed to a fair amount of building work including extra insulation, a window, and a commercial air conditioning unit to keep the room at a constant temperature.  :D

The one worrying thing about her contribution is a lock on the door, operated from the outside.....   :worried:  :help:

Trev

Quote from: Flounder on July 18, 2013, 08:55:46 AM

The one worrying thing about her contribution is a lock on the door, operated from the outside.....   :worried:  :help:

So long as you the internet so you can feed your forum adiction and a slot for the pizza and latest Railway Modeller or "N"spirations to drop through, you'll be fine. ;D ;D
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

4x2

Being single at the moment all the decisions are mine... :claphappy: for better or for worse !!!
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Bealman

Quote from: Trev on July 18, 2013, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: Flounder on July 18, 2013, 08:55:46 AM

So long as you the internet so you can feed your forum adiction and a slot for the pizza and latest Railway Modeller or "N"spirations to drop through, you'll be fine. ;D ;D

Don't forget the beer fridge!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Claude Dreyfus

Rather jealous of some of these comments.

Mrs Dreyfus is not the slightest bit interested in railways, or modelling. One or two things do grab the interest...500 series bullets for example.

TBR

Quote from: Belated on July 18, 2013, 08:49:51 AM
I am delighted - and relieved - to say that Kathy is also supportive of my modelling.  Even to the point of when we were house hunting 2 years ago, she insisted that we both had to have room for our hobbies.

Funny you mention that, Every house we looked at mine would point out "oh that would be good for a train room"

Keeping this one!  :bounce:

Pengi

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on July 18, 2013, 11:05:44 PM
Rather jealous of some of these comments.

Mrs Dreyfus is not the slightest bit interested in railways, or modelling. One or two things do grab the interest...500 series bullets for example.
. . . 500 series bullets are rather gorgeous  :heart2:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

dodger112958

After collecting N Gauge stuff for the past three or four months  and spending quite a bit too. Mrs Dodger hasn't batted an eyelid and was quite impressed with my dioramas, she said they look as if they are real. Praise indeed!
I bought some weathering powders today and she asked what they were for. I said I am going to weather the locos and rolling stock. After explaining what weathering actually meant, she said 'Don't you dare make all those pretty engines look filthy and disgusting, why do you men always have to make everything filthy and dirty.' I assumed she was talking about the locos!
I tried to explain that the period I am modelling was at the end of steam and they really did look like that.
'Don't you dare,' was the reply. ??? ???
I want her to be on my side and take and active interest so maybe the weathering powders will have to put away for a while.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

EtchedPixels

You may have to model preservation era steam or pre-grouping then  :beers:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations