Great Model Railway Challenge 2019

Started by dannyboy, August 03, 2019, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

Quote from: joe cassidy on October 07, 2019, 01:12:20 PM
S. Flint was clearly biased in favour of Corby right from the start. A tailor's dummy would be more telegenic.

Come off it - Steve is one of the nicest people out there! I haven't seen this series yet, but it sounds like careful editing or an act Steve has been asked to perform...

Railwaygun

next week's show is Saturday, 1945- set the video to stun!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

zwilnik

Quote from: red_death on October 07, 2019, 02:04:34 PM
S. Flint was clearly biased in favour of Corby right from the start. A tailor's dummy would be more telegenic.

Come off it - Steve is one of the nicest people out there! I haven't seen this series yet, but it sounds like careful editing or an act Steve has been asked to perform...

I get the impression Steve has a few 'scripted' soundbites to add to the tension. Some of them definitely sound like he's acting rather than giving his own advice.

Pjlons83

Quote from: silly moo on October 07, 2019, 01:46:58 PM
or are there only so many layouts with effects that viewers would like to see?

To be fair I'd have said the same about cakes a few years ago but the Great British Bake Off still seems to be doing ok.
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

guest311

I would love to see ...

1. gagged talking heads so no  :poop: puns
2. scratch build challenge replaced with a section where items are explained , ie building card kits, don't really think a pair of flip-flops and a bottle of oil [?] would appear very often
3. more time spent asking contestants how / why they are doing what they are, the way they are.
4. CAN THEY PLEASE JUST SAY "THE WINNERS ARE XXX" WITHOUT THE DRAGGING OUT.
no wonder they need a longer time slot for this series.

Chris Morris

Quote from: zwilnik on October 07, 2019, 02:12:32 PM
Quote from: red_death on October 07, 2019, 02:04:34 PM

I get the impression Steve has a few 'scripted' soundbites to add to the tension. Some of them definitely sound like he's acting rather than giving his own advice.

As with all TV shows, they will have plenty of film and just use the small sections they want to create the impression they want. Agreed that Steve would never make a professional actor but, perhaps because he isn't an actor, I think he makes a great judge,
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

Quote from: class37025 on October 07, 2019, 02:43:55 PM
I would love to see ...

2. scratch build challenge replaced with a section where items are explained , ie building card kits, don't really think a pair of flip-flops and a bottle of oil [?] would appear very often
3. more time spent asking contestants how / why they are doing what they are, the way they are.

Terrestrial TV is about attracting as large an audience as possible. Whilst I agree your suggestions are what those really interested in model railways would want, it just wouldn't be entertaining to the public at large. In fact I don't think I would watch it because I already have my views on how to build things, what materials to use why I do things the way I do. The scratchbuild challenge is something that I hate and love at the same time. Yes it is an annoyingly ridiculous list of materials but some of the contestants do some great work with what they are given and that is impressive. It kind of goes back to the roots of model railways where trying to make something out of whatever you could find was the only way of making most scenic items. It can be useful to think that way even today although I always revert to plasticard and balsa wood for anything I need.

kirky

Does anyone have a link for the viewing figures? In the thread of the previous series I seem to rmember someone posting regular links to updated viewing figures?
Thanks
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

guest311

Quote from: Chris Morris on October 07, 2019, 02:55:25 PM
I would love to see ...

Terrestrial TV is about attracting as large an audience as possible. Whilst I agree your suggestions are what those really interested in model railways would want, it just wouldn't be entertaining to the public at large. In fact I don't think I would watch it because I already have my views on how to build things, what materials to use why I do things the way I do. The scratchbuild challenge is something that I hate and love at the same time. Yes it is an annoyingly ridiculous list of materials but some of the contestants do some great work with what they are given and that is impressive. It kind of goes back to the roots of model railways where trying to make something out of whatever you could find was the only way of making most scenic items. It can be useful to think that way even today although I always revert to plasticard and balsa wood for anything I need.

trouble is, are we going to create the impression that a 'proper' layout needs exploding things, lots of volcanoes and smoke, and alien tripods ?
oh, and a load of old tat.

might make good tv, but will it attract new people to the cause ?

port perran

Quote from: class37025 on October 07, 2019, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: Chris Morris on October 07, 2019, 02:55:25 PM
I would love to see ...

trouble is, are we going to create the impression that a 'proper' layout needs exploding things, lots of volcanoes and smoke, and alien tripods ?
oh, and a load of old tat.

might make good tv, but will it attract new people to the cause ?
Imagine what a 8/9 year old child wants. He or she wants action such as exploding trains, volcanoes, spaceships, earthquakes, burning houses, etc etc.
And 8/9 year old children just might become the modellers of the future.
Similarly Mums and Dads being badgered to build such layouts for their children may well "get the bug" and be inspired to build something more realistic for themselves.
Just a thought.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

zwilnik

Quote from: port perran on October 07, 2019, 05:45:28 PM

Imagine what a 8/9 year old child wants. He or she wants action such as exploding trains, volcanoes, spaceships, earthquakes, burning houses, etc etc.
Similarly Mums and Dads being badgered to build such layouts for their children may well "get the bug" and be inspired to build something more realistic for themselves.
Just a thought.

exactly this. At some point we all started in the hobby playing with toy trains, we just forgot once the full scale enthusiasm set in.

Chris Morris

Quote from: zwilnik on October 07, 2019, 06:04:58 PM
Quote from: port perran on October 07, 2019, 05:45:28 PM

Just a thought.

exactly this. At some point we all started in the hobby playing with toy trains, we just forgot once the full scale enthusiasm set in.

Some of us still like exploding wagons when we aren't  making thunderstorms.
Go to 1:10 on the video.

Bealman

Thanks, Graham - just caught this. Too busy emptying kitchen cupboards before the whole lot gets ripped out.

Will have a look soon.  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Thanks to the link provided by  Graham (thanks again, mate), I finally got to see Episode 1 last night.

I see what people mean about volcanoes and Metcalfe houses falling down holes.  :uneasy:

I really don't think it's much different than last year's offerings, and certainly no great improvement. I do agree that one presenter instead of two would probably put an end to the stupid trying to out-pun each other business.

The editing is slick - so much so that it's brutal in parts and becomes a bit obvious.

While I wouldn't say it's as bad as, say, Love Island Australia, like all reality shows, it's of the same ilk.

Still, I'll be watching the rest of the series, and that's what it's all about, I suppose....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

whilst I found the link, I have not had time to watch it yet. planning on doing that next week sitting in a hotel room with the alternative being Cambodian tv.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations