!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!  (Read 792 times)

mika and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
"Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
Hello,

A short while ago I felt the itch to get back into the man cave after a summer of camping, fishing and the usual outdoorsy stuffy that keeps me out of the garage. My “main” layout (Clouds Hill) had not survived the hot summer/cold winter so it’s back to the drawing board for that one….. However; there was a project at the back of my mind that had never even made it onto paper as a scribble. Being a bit of a hoarder/collector I had saved an old wooden bread bin from near certain death during a visit to see family last year some time. It was nothing special but I said “I’ll have that - I’ll do something with it” and it’s been under my desk with a multitude of other impulsive salvages ever since.

As I sulked and pondered my next move with the layout I thought that the bread bin idea would offer the chance to get back modelling after a good few months of inactivity and allow me to procrastinate and ignore the main layout until I had the proper inclination to get it down off “the shelf” and properly plan it’s recovery. Also, with it being a micro-layout it may even give me the opportunity to finish a project!
Apologise in advance to those that have seen and contributed to my many threads dotted around the forum in recent weeks; some pics and descriptions may be duplicated here but I wanted to bring everything together now that the build is underway and gathering pace.
So the layout measures 360mm wide by 245mm deep (14” x 9 ½” for those who are that way inclined). There is also the obvious height restriction which varies because of the curved shape. I had a few simple “goals” for the layout;

It should have a roundy-roundy loop;
I’d like some form of operational ability (I want to play trains!);
It will be a night scene with lighting built into the layout (possibly activated by the lid);
The bread bin must not look any different from the outside with the lid down;
“Rule 1” applies. Not limited to an era or geographical accuracy (It’s just a bit of fun);

I also stated on the planning thread that I’d like it to be battery powered but on further thought for both space and cost reasons; I will now be mains powered. After a few simple plans both scribbled and in CAD I decided on a simple loop with a turnout sending deliveries into the middle of the loop to the bread factory (it just had to be didn’t it).

Progress so far;

The slats have been removed and primed for painting. This also gives me more room to work.

I have had a little play with night sky colours but nothing is decided yet.

The bin itself is primed

The baseboard is primed, painted and has the turnout fitted. Because of height restrictions I kept it as thin as I dared and also had to fit the turnout directly to the track which was a first for me (in fact turnouts are a first and so too is Peco track. I’ve only used Kato Unitrack before this project).

As you can see from the pic above I have gone for the metcalfe small factory as the “centre-piece”. I have modified building B to look more like the company offices than a warehouse and have been playing with lighting. It’s my first try at building kits so it’s taken a while and I’ve made a few mistakes but hopefully nothing to noticeable (if you do notice anything then please don’t tell me  :-X )   

Today I mocked up the loop on a temporary baseboard to test the loco and rolling stock when they arrive later this week. This seems a bit frivolous but that’s the beauty of a micro layout I guess. Reading lots of other micro-layout threads and taking advice from those that know I wanted to be 100% sure of the loco running well on the tight curves and check clearances before committing to the final track position. My little non-powered caboose runs nicely around it so that’s a good sign!   

There will be a tunnel providing a scenic break on the left hand side. The current plan is to have low relief industrial buildings along the back to hide the back section of the loop but I’m still undecided on the right hand side. I like the idea of a level crossing providing access to the factory yard/employee entrance but I’m not sure yet how to make the track “disappear” before going behind the buildings along the back…… I’m still planning as I go so any suggestions/advice would be very welcome.

If you’re still reading then thank you for staying with me. If I’ve missed anything then I’ll edit or add it later. I’m looking forward to the scenic elements and the electrics as again it’s all new on this level for me. So far it’s been good fun so I hope it continues that way. The layout planning thread opened the flood gates for bread puns so please feel free to add to the many already used. The “Gold Hill” title is also subject to change if anybody has any ideas. I do like it as a title as it fits with my “Clouds Hill” layout and the bread/Hovis theme but it’s bugging me a little that there’s no hill on the layout (although I know it really doesn’t matter!)……

Thanks for reading!

Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
Re: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:10:09 pm »
I forgot to mention the front edge of the baseboard which is exposed in the pics above. I have already broken one of my rules... but only very slightly and only the most eagle-eyed of bread bin aficionado's will notice it. The bottom slat with the handle will be bumped up one and one slat will remain fixed at the bottom to cover the front edge of the baseboard.....

phew... i think that's everything. I must remember to start these threads earlier in the build in future so I don't have so much essay-style catching up to do!  :goggleeyes:

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:12:12 am »
That's a very ingenious solution! :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:26:49 am »
Very interesting!

I will keenly follow your progress. As you say, modelling at this size allows you to try things out.  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:40:45 am »
Hi Paul,

Looking good and glad you're having fun.

Also glad you've started in the construction thread. I've had to chase many a layout from hello to planning to design and then found them months even years later in construction.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:00:50 am »
Scenic break: not a level crossing, but a road bridge coming from the back, towards the front. No need to get it down to the floor.... might be a raised level terminal in the factory. Adding a a medium/high building just behind the bridge on the inside of the oval... and the train is hidden as soon as he passes below the bridge.

Battery/mains: Just add one or more connectors to feed the power (one for the track, one for the point motor, one for each lamp,...) from the outside. Then you can decide later how you want to produce the power input. Maybe in a low box underneath the bread box... or even make to different boxes for the power (main and battery)...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »
The post lady came bearing gifts today!

My little eBay Arnold shunter and the rolling stock from Hattons;

I’m pleased to report that the train runs smoothly in both directions. It looks better running slower at 9v than 12v so I’ll have to remember that when planning the electrics.  8)

Next job is to lay the track on the main layout with the point fitted and hope it runs just as nicely!

The grain hopper is unpainted so all puns welcome for ideas of the company name.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:15:14 pm by Pjlons83 »

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »
"Golden grain train"

=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 01:31:52 pm »
 :claphappy: Yay...... all is running well  :claphappy:

Great progress !

As far as electrics go, this is a great controller ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG2LUOq2iTM

I have the twin controller ..... the receiver is small enough it could easily fit in one of your buildings, and the actual controller could be on the side of the bin, held with velcro, or in one of those pouches for tv remotes

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
GreyN SUPPLIES or THE GreyN COMPANY

Off top of me head. Sorry  :-[

Great to get things running. Looking forward to the rockin' and rollin'

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »
the receiver is small enough it could easily fit in one of your buildings, and the actual controller could be on the side of the bin, held with velcro, or in one of those pouches for tv remotes

Thank you for the link. I’ve seen those before and thought they looked good. My only reservation with this layout though is that it feels a bit like cheating. It would be crazy to try and fit a control panel in there too...... so I’m going to try!

It’s another head-scratcher of where to fit it all but I’m deterined. I already have some mini switches on order to play with. If it fails then I’ll revisit this later but for now I’m planning hardwired DC switches.

8)

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:35 pm »
Hi Paul,

"It would be crazy to try it .......so I will"   Love it  :D :D

You could have a think about these ...

http://zscaletrack.com/medvend/AN-1-SAC

I had a couple I was going to use on Windmill Hill but could not find anywhere to fit them, so I sold them to Jon (PostModN66) perhaps you could message him to see how he got on with them.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:54:32 pm by Phoenix »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:46 am »
“NGrain” ?  :hmmm:

Online Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 10:27:44 am »
Bread N Butter  :beers:

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:10:42 pm »
Loaf 'N' Grain Ltd. ?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here