!!

Not Yet Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Decoderpro - files backup  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Bigric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15491
    • Awards
Decoderpro - files backup
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:29 AM »
Need some advice here please !! Have been using Decoderpro successfully for over about 2 years now for CV setting & furtling  BUT have never backed up any of the files on there......which is beginning to worry me , as there a LOT of loco details on there . At the moment I am having a concerted drive to back up all important files on my laptop & ageing  desktop to a separate hard drive .
                 Would be VERY grateful if people could advise me on exactly which C:/Program Files (x86) to copy on to the hard drive . There are quite a few different program files listed on there , including one really big one (jmri .....10,780 KB) & I don't use Panelpro at all .
                 Plainspeak/non computer techno jargon would be MUCH appreciated . I ALWAYS need an Idiot's Guide for things !! Thanks a lot , Ric

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Decoderpro - files backup
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »
Run up decoder pro and run the specific backup option, this is far easier!

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
I's also suggest you back up from the program, bacause the precise location the files are held in depends on your version of Windows.
I'm using Windows 7 and the JMRI data folder is at <username>/JMRI. You need to copy the roster.xml file (and I suggest roster.xml.bak) as well as the entire roster folder

Cheers
Dave

Offline Bigric

• N Gauge Society Number: 15491
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
Only Me - thanks , tried unsuccessfully before to find the 'backup option' you mention on the Decoderpro  program , that's why I did the posting on here .Told you...I need an Idiot's Guide !! Ric

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
Backing up is achieved by "exporting" the roster file under the File Menu.

see link http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/apps/DecoderPro/Roster.shtml

I tend to save the whole lot every-time I add a new loco as well as "exporting" that individual entry. Probably a bit excessive doing both but then .........

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
I do the same TDU as by also exporting the individual entries it gives me another way of duplicating some settings if I have an identical loco as it gives me a base for starting to tweak by importing the file into a loco.  I know you can duplicate a roster entry but I find it more convenient sometimes to just import a single xml file into the loco I already have open.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal