vacuum cleaners

Started by joe cassidy, March 01, 2022, 11:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Are Dyson vacuum cleaners really as good as they're made out to be ?

I have to replace my ageing Miele.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

GAD

We had a dyson, it was OK, but like all our vacuum cleaners it died when hair got into a brush bearing and the bearing heated up and melted the bearing mount. We now have a G-tech which, so far has lasted about the same length of time as the Dyson.

Papyrus

We're on our third, so that probably tells you our opinion of them! Our current one is a rechargeable cordless, a few years old now. Our only complaint is that the charge doesn't last all that long, so we do downstairs one month and upstairs the next...  :D

Cheers,

Chris

BlythPower

A couple of points to note:-
Professional cleaners never use Dysons - most seem to have one of those Henry cleaners;
Whenever I go to the tip/recycling centre the most common type of vacuum cleaners in the electricals skip are Dysons.  :D

joe cassidy

Quote from: Papyrus on March 01, 2022, 11:32:12 AM
We're on our third, so that probably tells you our opinion of them! Our current one is a rechargeable cordless, a few years old now. Our only complaint is that the charge doesn't last all that long, so we do downstairs one month and upstairs the next...  :D

Thanks Chris.

I'm looking for a vacuum cleaner that will last at least 20 years, like my old Miele.

Malc

@joe cassidy If you want a cleaner to last 20 years these days, buy a dustpan and brush.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Having owned almost as many vacuums as I have locos, the only brand I'd never touch again is Dyson - absolute nightmare.

Currently using a couple of G-Techs which are about four years old, still going strong and we haven't had cause to complain.

However, when I eventually get around to buying a dedicated vac for the layout room, it will definitely be a Henry again.  Best I've ever had and it's notable that most professionals (including visiting tradespersons) seem to use them.  I do miss mine, but it expired after well over ten years of sucking up bits of train set 8)

Jon898

No experience with Dyson or Henry, but currently use a SEBO Airbelt.  Very effective and easy to get the beater bar out to remove pet hair from the Shelties.

Jon

tunneroner61

We've had a Dyson for about 15 years. During that time I've replaced the motor, various bits have broken off, the on/off switch is intermittent (I just switch on/off at the socket), one of the small accessory heads is broken such that it can't be used, etc. I'm not heavy handed, it just seems a bit fragile and also when replacing the motor clearly not designed to be repaired easily. So, no I wouldn't recommend one. My daughter has had Dysons too and now swears by a Shark.

GScaleBruce

Sebo here too. Recommended.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 01, 2022, 11:19:46 AM
Are Dyson vacuum cleaners really as good as they're made out to be ?

No. They're heavy and cumbersome and the hose, once off it's perch, is just damned awkward to use. I hate mine and can't wait for it to fail.

Jack

I don't know about Dyson except they are expensive!

Gtech? I've not long send our second one back within its first 30 days for a full  refund!! Nothing like our first, the suck was no where near as good.

I've since got a Henry direct from myhenry.com - Oh how I wish I'd got one a long time ago! Don't need two vacs to do everywhere like you do with Gtech. One of my daughters liked it so much that she wanted one, so I bought her a Hettie. ;D

Just a satified customer

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Paddy

We are on our second Dyson (plug in rather than battery powered). The Dyson are heavy but the animal version picks up well. You need to keep on top of the filters and do not believe the "never loses suction" baloney.

We also have a GTech upright and handheld. The handheld is excellent but the upright is a bit cheap and nasty.

The Dyson is definitely overpriced (as are all their products) and tries to be a "brand" like Apple.

Not sure what we will go for next time. My good lady keeps on about Shark? I would be tempted just to get an standard one from Argos and save some dosh.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

OffshoreAlan

Quote from: Jon898 on March 01, 2022, 01:34:00 PM
..... to remove pet hair from the Shelties.

Jon

I'm sure you didn't mean that as it I read it LOL

zwilnik

Quote from: Paddy on March 01, 2022, 03:54:03 PM
We are on our second Dyson (plug in rather than battery powered). The Dyson are heavy but the animal version picks up well. You need to keep on top of the filters and do not believe the "never loses suction" baloney.

We also have a GTech upright and handheld. The handheld is excellent but the upright is a bit cheap and nasty.

The Dyson is definitely overpriced (as are all their products) and tries to be a "brand" like Apple.

Not sure what we will go for next time. My good lady keeps on about Shark? I would be tempted just to get an standard one from Argos and save some dosh.

Kind regards

Paddy

I've got a 22+ year old Dyson that's had most of its components replaced (including the motor, which took out a filter as well when it dumped all its smoke in one go) which is still pretty ok, but too bulky for my apartment. It was made before Dyson started maximising profits by selling at high prices with the cheapest possible components. As opposed to the handheld Dyson I got about a decade ago that's always been pretty much useless.

I needed a handheld vacuum cleaner for my apartment that could be used on my layout and computer gear without damaging stuff and eventually settled on one that appears to be a knock off of the Shark ones at less than half of the price that I got from Amazon. So far it's been really effective.

[edit]
I definitely second the suggestion of getting a Henry if you need a 'big' vacuum cleaner. I got my brother one a couple of years ago and it's been really impressive.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations