The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

To all my friends in the UK, if you don't know what to do with these soon to be obsolete stamps you can always send me a cheque ?

Has anyone questioned the cost of these new stamps ?

They must cost at least twice as much as the old ones, given that they are are twice as big as the old ones and they include an additional printing process for the bar code ?

OffshoreAlan

And now gone up to £1 for a letter with the new monarch's head.

joe cassidy

I spent yesterday afternoon repairing my Dapol 9F loco, which had hit the deck and needed attention.

I replaced the draw bar and got it running - the only job left was to refit the handrail on one of the smoke deflectors.

I decided to wait until today to do that, and to make sure that I wouldn't lose the handrail I taped it to MY cutting mat on MY desk in my railway room the spare bed room.

I discovered today, after several hours searching on hands and knees, that Mrs Cassidy decided to clean my railway room the spare bed room after  I had gone to bed and in doing so she consigned my precious bit of tape with handrail attached to the dustbin.

Maybe this is the moment for me to splurge on N gauge trains without fear of reproach ?

Browning 9mm

Quote from: PaulCheffus on March 04, 2023, 05:48:54 PM
Quote from: Browning 9mm on March 04, 2023, 08:43:36 AM
Quote from: tunneroner61 on March 03, 2023, 11:39:09 PM
My stamps came back in 3 weeks.

Why is barcoding the new stamps a scam?

think of all the thousands of people with one or two stamps left that they cannot now use, although paid fore, and which are not worth going to the trouble of getting the form and sending them back. nice little earner for RM

Hi

Why as the old stamps as are still valid until July.

Cheers

Paul

according to RM

Non-barcoded stamps will remain valid to use until February 2023, but anyone who cannot use them by then can swap them for the equivalent value of barcoded stamps.

Trainfish

Alan, see here. No need to panic just yet if you have any stashed away.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

joe cassidy

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 04, 2023, 09:22:46 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon repairing my Dapol 9F loco, which had hit the deck and needed attention.

I replaced the draw bar and got it running - the only job left was to refit the handrail on one of the smoke deflectors.

I decided to wait until today to do that, and to make sure that I wouldn't lose the handrail I taped it to MY cutting mat on MY desk in my railway room the spare bed room.

I discovered today, after several hours searching on hands and knees, that Mrs Cassidy decided to clean my railway room the spare bed room after  I had gone to bed and in doing so she consigned my precious bit of tape with handrail attached to the dustbin.

Maybe this is the moment for me to splurge on N gauge trains without fear of reproach ?

Good news !

Mrs C retrieved my piece of tape from the bin this morning  :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 05, 2023, 12:02:11 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on March 04, 2023, 09:22:46 PM

Good news !

Mrs C obviously didn't fancy the alternative :uneasy:

dannyboy

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 05, 2023, 12:02:11 PM

That's a bit of a pity. Saying, "Well if you had not thrown that very important piece in the bin, I would not have needed to replace the whole locomotive", will not work now.  :(
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jon898

Well, AT&T did it to me again!

I needed to add money to a pre-paid phone SWMBO uses that is on the AT&T system.  Tried to log in and was met with a "wrong password" notice - no problem, reset the password and did the deed.  I then logged out and closed the browser.  Wait, my email client is now asking for a user name and password for the att.net email (incidentally, no link to the pre-paid phone account).  Entered the required fields - sorry, that combination does not match - huh?  Tried the "forgot password" thinking I'll just reset and continue.  Temporary password is emailed to my recovery email (fortunately not the att.net one), I enter it, same result, sorry, that combination does not match.  Everything now locked solid (email, Fibre Optic subscription, Satellite TV subscription, VOIP phone subscription).

Then I remember, several months ago I had a similar experience and it took 9 hours on the phone and several days to get the email unlocked.  This is apparently a known issue with AT&T and stems from the old Yahoo! system they bought many moons ago.  Reading the AT&T customer forum, it's a known problem and they won't let their own Customer (dis)Service do the resets any more and the only solution now is to wait at least 30 days and try again!

So, to the fiery furnace  >:D with this system, and I have now set up an icloud email that will be used going forward.  Downside of that is I now have to change the email on the 49 websites that have the old email.  Annoying enough, but I'm only half way through and so far at least 3 of them have allowed you to change your email address only after they've sent you an email with a code to the OLD email address - no thought that an old email may no longer be accessible!

I'm now researching how I can get as far as possible from AT&T as I can get.

Jon

Browning 9mm

and computers / online is supposed to make things easier  :hmmm:

:censored:

Malc

@Jon898 Just as a matter of interest, I had issues with having to change email addresses when I was using my ISP for them. So I registered a domain name as my full name and my provider diverts any messages to whichever isp account I am currently using. So I don't need to mail round my contacts if I change ISP.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

stevewalker

Quote from: Malc on March 20, 2023, 12:32:32 AM
@Jon898 Just as a matter of interest, I had issues with having to change email addresses when I was using my ISP for them. So I registered a domain name as my full name and my provider diverts any messages to whichever isp account I am currently using. So I don't need to mail round my contacts if I change ISP.

I did the same, but I have since gone further. I now run my own home server. Our PCs and phones talk to it and it forwards or receives via our domain, so my ISP's servers aren't involved at all. The only changes I need to make on moving ISP are to point the domain at the new IP address and tell the server to also pick up email from the new ISP - which should only ever be email from the ISP about the account.

Jon898

Quote from: Malc on March 20, 2023, 12:32:32 AM

Thanks, Malc.

If I understand correctly, to do that I'd need to have login access to the ISP.  Unfortunately, that is also locked up.  Stevewalker's solution would also have been better, but not what I'm actually prepared to wrangle.

At this point, I'm kind of stuck with ATT for the fiber optic line (only ISP here other than satellite), so putting everything else into the Apple world is about the simplest solution I have.

Ironically, I got an unsolicited marketing phone call from ATT on Friday and did she get an earful! She did give me one of the "secret" phone numbers for senior tech support, so I may try that sometime.

Jon

Newportnobby

Following yesterday's F1 race the FIA really needs to get its act together.
Alonso lined up for the start about 2ft to the left of his box and was penalised 5 seconds for it. I could have understood if he had been 2ft in front of the box but there was no advantage in being to the left, right or rear. It begs the question why drivers have been allowed to line up before pointing the car anywhere but straight :hmmm:
Alonso accepted his punishment and the Aston Martin guys applied the penalty at his first pit stop which was under a Safety Car.  This led Mercedes to query whether the penalty should even have been allowed to have been applied under the Safety Car ruling. No one seemed to know the answer to that one.
However, sadly the rear of the car was touched, not worked upon as per the rules, but touched by the rear jack user.
It took the FIA 35 laps and the podium presentation to then decide to apply a 10 second penalty for the car having been worked on, thus changing the result of 3rd position.
Then at around 10pm GMT, they decided the car had not been worked on and reversed the decision so restoring the original result.
What a farce ::) :veryangry:

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations