The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpInaBox

And another thing... I'm having a bad couple of days just now!  Anyone used Dulux 'Quick Dry' gloss paint? 

We're busy redecorating the hall and landing: that's 9 doors to paint, so Mrs Imp came back with a 2.5L tin of the stuff.  It's brilliant white covering a previous application of brilliant white, now 9 years old and somewhat yellowed, so I did my usual prep: sanded down the door and frame, wiped it all down and started to apply said paint.

Yeurgh!  It's 'orrible gloopy stuff - somewhere between liquid gloss and the non-stick stuff but drops off the brush in gloopy lumps - and not even opaque enough to cover old white in one coat.  And when it dries it isn't even glossy!  :poop:  I ended up taking it all off again - more sanding and leg waxing technique with sticky tape - and buying another tin - this time Dulux non-stick brilliant white: smooth, opaque and VERY shiny when dry.

How can they call the quick dry stuff 'gloss'?  If I wanted satin finish I'd have bought satin.  If they want to mess about with the paint formula why don'#t they try making some white paint that doesn't go yellow   Agghhh!  :veryangry:
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Trainfish

Quote from: ImpInaBox on November 28, 2020, 01:40:45 PM
Dulux non-stick brilliant white:

Doesn't that defeat the object of painting? I thought paint needed to stick  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

ImpInaBox

Quote from: Trainfish on November 28, 2020, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: ImpInaBox on November 28, 2020, 01:40:45 PM
Dulux non-stick brilliant white:

Doesn't that defeat the object of painting? I thought paint needed to stick  :doh:

Stick / Drip - whatever!  I said I was having a bad day! 

Mind you - that quick dry stuff is pretty non-stick too.  In fact there's b****r all that's right wi'it!
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

emjaybee

Okay.

Dulux Quick Dry is waterbased. So, no yellowing, as no oil.

I use GALLONS of Dulux Trade Quick Dry Satin, Eggshell and a little Gloss. I get great results with all of them...

...but...

...you DO have to be using the right type of brush. Gone are the days of slapping on paint with any old brush. With waterbased paint you need to use a synthetic brush, but it also needs to be a FIRM brush to brush it out properly. I suspect this is why you felt it was gloopy and lumpy. I use ProForm Picasso Firm Blend brushes. About £7-£9 per brush.

Because modern paints are more 'technical' than old fashioned oil based crap, I do have to have quite an armoury of brushes. I reckon I have a base selection of about six different types, all synthetic.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

You can come and do my hall, stairs and landing if you like. Not too far to travel  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: lil chris on November 28, 2020, 01:32:18 PM
There are plenty of people out there especially pensioners who do not have smart phones, what are they supposed to do !

I am in that number.

Quote from: Trainfish on November 28, 2020, 04:04:27 PM
You can come and do my hall, stairs and landing if you like. Not too far to travel  :thumbsup:

Some years ago I did a hall, stairs and landing using Dulux One Coat. Using blue over the existing magnolia. It covered OK but the next day it looked as if it had slipped down the wall very slightly leaving 2-3mm wide 'rips' in the paint :veryangry:

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 28, 2020, 04:37:12 PM
Quote from: lil chris on November 28, 2020, 01:32:18 PM
There are plenty of people out there especially pensioners who do not have smart phones, what are they supposed to do !

I am in that number.

Me too, I see Lidl have introduced an app needing a mobile, think it's purpose is similar to Tesco club card for money off, us pensioners need anything that helps get money off, why do we have to have a mobile/smart phone to partake?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

emjaybee

Quote from: Trainfish on November 28, 2020, 04:04:27 PM

That sounds like some deeeeeeeeep pockets.

:D
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 28, 2020, 04:53:23 PM
us pensioners need anything that helps get money off, why do we have to have a mobile/smart phone to partake?

At least we get a heating allowance to spend on model railways, Mike :) @Dorsetmike

Bealman

Couldn't be without mine..... in fact I do a lot of my forum work on it when I'm out and about!

Probably shows, too....  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stevewalker

Quote from: emjaybee on November 28, 2020, 03:56:59 PM

Water based paints have improved considerably, but when they first became common, they were atrocious. I divided off part of the boxroom to give us a second (windowless) toilet. I painted the woodwork with water based paint and it went yellow within a couple of months. I later found out that it was prone to yellowing - unless exposed to sunlight!

emjaybee

Quote from: stevewalker on November 29, 2020, 12:59:12 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on November 28, 2020, 03:56:59 PM

Water based paints have improved considerably, but when they first became common, they were atrocious. I divided off part of the boxroom to give us a second (windowless) toilet. I painted the woodwork with water based paint and it went yellow within a couple of months. I later found out that it was prone to yellowing - unless exposed to sunlight!

To be honest I avoid using anything other than waterbased these days, inside or out. I used to get such bad headaches after a days painting, and then the ball-ache of brush cleaning. No more!
Brookline build thread:

Bealman

Quote from: Bealman on November 28, 2020, 09:33:36 PM
Couldn't be without mine..... in fact I do a lot of my forum work on it when I'm out and about!

Probably shows, too....  ;D

Like now... at bowling club having a beer and attempting to win a Christmas ham in the raffle, but still connected to the NGF!

Now how cool is that?  ;) :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

Not working today then?  :D
John

<*))))><

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 28, 2020, 09:22:13 PM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 28, 2020, 04:53:23 PM
us pensioners need anything that helps get money off, why do we have to have a mobile/smart phone to partake?

At least we get a heating allowance to spend on model railways, Mike :) @Dorsetmike

and don't forget the christmas bonus, £10 which hasn't increased since it was introduced in, IIRC, the 1980s.

wish my bills were the same as then  :'(

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations