Fuel prices

Started by Newportnobby, March 08, 2022, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest10040

only if you 'worked' in SHQ or the stores  >:D

The Q

Quote from: Redcap244 on April 21, 2022, 07:05:21 PM
only if you 'worked' in SHQ or the stores  >:D
Yep when I joined up it was 4 X shirts, 1 X pair of working trousers , 1 x number 1 uniform, 4x socks black, 2 X pairs shoes, 1 X pair boots. 1 X tie black, ,1 X Wolly pully, 1x number 2 X jacket. + PT kit + 1 pair overalls.
And that was your lot for most of my career in the RAF. They much later issued a 2nd pair of number 2 trousers, and even later two pairs of light weight trousers.

Meanwhile , diesel is now 172.9 in Tesco's, up to 181.9 in local independentts.

guest10040

you youngsters ..... :D

when I joined up, I think the pilot on the air experience flight, in a Hastings, was called Pontius, we got shirts collarless, collars detached, and collar studs.

and back on topic, our local Tesco has gone up another 2p to £1.76.9p for diesel, and £1.64.9 for petrol.

however, my RAF pension has gone up by £2.50  :claphappy: now, should I book that world cruise, or treat SWMBO and myself to a bag of chips  :hmmm:

dannyboy

Quote from: Redcap244 on April 23, 2022, 09:33:55 AM
we got shirts collarless, collars detached, and collar studs.

Now that brings back memories. When I joined the Police, back in 1971, we got collarless shirts, with three collars to a shirt and the necessary studs - the front was a sod to get fixed. Probably because the collars had to be starched that much they were almost as rigid as MDF!  :goggleeyes:

Just on the thread theme, I have filled the car up this morning with petrol at Euro 179.9 - about £1.52p at todays exchange rate.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest10040

but the important question is ...

did your head reach to the top of your helmet  :smiley-laughing:

remember them, plods with helmets and proper uniforms,
not robo cop outfits and baseball caps  >:(

I'm showing my age again, aren't I  :-[

dannyboy

Quote from: Redcap244 on April 23, 2022, 06:08:39 PM

remember them, plods with helmets and proper uniforms,

Not only did I have a helmet and a proper uniform, I had a cape.  :goggleeyes: It was actually brilliant because I could walk around with my hands in my pockets - well when I was not hiding a cigarette.  :)

And back on topic - I have just looked at a website that says that petrol was 73p in 1975 - and that was for a gallon!
David.

guest10040

I remember capes, with those big, heavy, metal clasps and so on at the neck...

much more effective that a taser, wack a neere do well with a cuthroat razor with that, and he'd go down,

not, of course, that you, or indeed I in my BTP days, would have done anything like that  :-[

dannyboy

Quote from: Redcap244 on April 23, 2022, 06:40:44 PM

not, of course, that you, or indeed I in my BTP days, would have done anything like that  :-[

of course not  ;)
David.

guest10040

it's here ...

the £2.00 litre of diesel

or at least at Tesco Burgess Hill yesterday, diesel was £1.99.9p per litre, and I've never seen a .1p coin for your change.

why don't they just round it up and stop all this .9p rubbish ?

Newportnobby

It shows they're not ripping you off by charging £2.00 per litre :-X

Bealman

When I first returned to the UK after a billion years at the antipodes, I stopped to put fuel in the hire car. The pump said  X.02, so I gave the guy at the desk X.

Here in Australia, if it's 5 cents or less, it's rounded off the dollar below. Over 5 cents, it's rounded to the dollar above. No stuffing around with cents!

I was totally surprised when he said "You owe me 2 pence"

Got used to it though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

exmouthcraig

Tell me about it £158 to brim a transit van!! And I've got 2!!! Could be worse.........

Good ladies dad brimmed his Volvo FM on Thursday.......

Pump price was a mere £1425.00!!

chrism

Quote from: Redcap244 on June 25, 2022, 08:38:52 AM
it's here ...

the £2.00 litre of diesel

or at least at Tesco Burgess Hill yesterday, diesel was £1.99.9p per litre, and I've never seen a .1p coin for your change.

I saw 201.99p in Barrow-in-Furness on Thursday - with quite a differential between the fuels, as the same place wanted less than 190p for unleaded petrol. I didn't fill up there, though, that place is usually a ripoff.

Paid 197.9p for a fillup at Broughton-in-Furness yesterday, instead - the cheapest of the four that I passed on that journey. Their unleaded was the more common 5p or so cheaper than diesel.

guest10040

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 25, 2022, 09:18:17 AM
Tell me about it £158 to brim a transit van!! And I've got 2!!! Could be worse.........

Good ladies dad brimmed his Volvo FM on Thursday.......

Pump price was a mere £1425.00!!

and no green shield stamps, like in the old days  :D
that would have filled a few books  :thumbsup:

Trainfish

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 25, 2022, 09:18:17 AM

You must have a bigger tank on your Transit than I have then. Either that or you're using the expensive stuff. I had about 70 miles left in the tank when I put this in on Wednesday.

I have since then noticed that just about every garage around here has gone to 199.9p for diesel just to stay under the £2, even Tesco at Blandford was 199.9p. The difference between unleaded and diesel seems to be closing up too and I did see 1 garage the other day which had both diesel and unleaded at the same price  :*(

No Green Shield stamps available at any of these either  :thumbsdown:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations