Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

I've raised this one in a post before, but I'm still getting strange results when using the "recent unread posts" button. Sometimes it shows me a list, as used to happen pre-update, but most times it says "there are no updated files, try all unread" or something similar. I press this and lo, there are unread posts since my last visit. It's not a biggie to get round but the old button was 100% reliable, and this one seems erratic.....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Ed

I don't use "Recent Unread Posts" or "Updated Topics", as I can't quite see what the differences are, or what 'Recent' is actually referring to, (how recent is recent).

I just click on "All Unread" all the time and it works fine.

Ed

Southerngooner

Bizarrely it's fine on my iPhone but not on the iPad.....
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Tank

Quote from: Browning 9mm on September 23, 2023, 12:23:00 PM2. you used to be able to see a member's status, ie sending a message, etc, but this has now also disappeared.

intentional, or just happened ??

That is probably one of the settings that reverted when started the new forum.  I'll see if I can change it.

Tank

Quote from: Southerngooner on October 02, 2023, 09:06:56 AMI've raised this one in a post before, but I'm still getting strange results when using the "recent unread posts" button. Sometimes it shows me a list, as used to happen pre-update, but most times it says "there are no updated files, try all unread" or something similar. I press this and lo, there are unread posts since my last visit. It's not a biggie to get round but the old button was 100% reliable, and this one seems erratic.....

Dave

It sounds like you just want to hit the All Unread button.  That's all that I ever use.

PLD

Quote from: Southerngooner on October 02, 2023, 09:06:56 AMI've raised this one in a post before, but I'm still getting strange results when using the "recent unread posts" button. Sometimes it shows me a list, as used to happen pre-update, but most times it says "there are no updated files, try all unread" or something similar. I press this and lo, there are unread posts since my last visit. It's not a biggie to get round but the old button was 100% reliable, and this one seems erratic.....

Dave
As per previous responses - the "recent unread posts" is the equivalent to the old "new posts since your last visit" i.e. only topics that have had new posts since however your device and the forum interact to close a session.
Like most, I don't bother with it and go directly to the "all Unread" button (right next to "recent unread posts").

Steven B

More often than not when logging on I get a pop-up message telling me there's been an error. I initially thought I'd entered my password wrong but each time the error message self clears and takes me to the normal logged-in page.

I wonder if there's a time-out setting that needs tweeking?

SB.

Newportnobby

I notice that especially when using my mobile.
I guess I've just got used to ignoring it

Tank

Oh, I've not heard of that issue.  So, you enter via www.NGaugeForum.co.uk, enter your username and password, then before the page changes, a popup appears saying error?  Any description of what the error is?

Trainfish

I have another issue which was spotted by @Malc , my fish is dead! By that I mean that I used to have a fish moving across the bottom of my signature but now he just sits there :(  It looks like the [move] function doesn't work any more and neither does [marquee] which is the usual html way of doing this. Have these html tags been disabled in a signature? Is there another way I can revive my fish?

I have found another issue too but I'll post that in another response to keep things tidy.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

My other issue is that if I want to tag someone like Bob Tidbury I start typing @ Bob (without the space of course) and it offers up a few Bobs but doesn't go down as far as Bob T. As soon as I type the space in his username the offered list disappears. If I type his full name including the space it looks like he does get tagged but if I speeled his name incorrectly he wouldn't receive a message. Is there any way to change this? Maybe just allowing the suggested list to be longer?
Sorry if this has been asked before but I forget things easily these days as I approach my later years  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Nbodger

Reactions

Under Profile Info you have access to lists of Reactions Given and Reactions Received.

Unfortunately you can only view the first page, when accessing other pages you are returned to Profile Summary

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on October 06, 2023, 07:02:36 PMMy other issue is that if I want to tag someone like Bob Tidbury I start typing @ Bob (without the space of course) and it offers up a few Bobs but doesn't go down as far as Bob T. As soon as I type the space in his username the offered list disappears. If I type his full name including the space it looks like he does get tagged but if I speeled his name incorrectly he wouldn't receive a message. Is there any way to change this? Maybe just allowing the suggested list to be longer?
Sorry if this has been asked before but I forget things easily these days as I approach my later years  :o

I noticed that yesterday. However, when I tried a new post and put @Bob his name was offered further down the list but that seems to have gone AWOL again

Tank

Quote from: Trainfish on October 06, 2023, 06:57:40 PMI have another issue which was spotted by @Malc , my fish is dead! By that I mean that I used to have a fish moving across the bottom of my signature but now he just sits there :(  It looks like the [move] function doesn't work any more and neither does [marquee] which is the usual html way of doing this. Have these html tags been disabled in a signature? Is there another way I can revive my fish?

I have found another issue too but I'll post that in another response to keep things tidy.

I've looked at the settings and it looks like it's not supported.  I suggest making a GIF and posting it as your signature. :thumbsup:

Tank

Quote from: Trainfish on October 06, 2023, 07:02:36 PMMy other issue is that if I want to tag someone like Bob Tidbury I start typing @ Bob (without the space of course) and it offers up a few Bobs but doesn't go down as far as Bob T. As soon as I type the space in his username the offered list disappears. If I type his full name including the space it looks like he does get tagged but if I speeled his name incorrectly he wouldn't receive a message. Is there any way to change this? Maybe just allowing the suggested list to be longer?

I'll message the developer about this, you're right.

@bobt

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations