Forum Upgrade 2023

Started by Tank, April 10, 2023, 03:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Dear all,

You may have read on the forum that we're hoping to upgrade the forum at some point.  Hopefully, it should be this summer.  Simple Machines, who create this forum, have finished all of their testing and released the new 2.1.x version of SMF (Simple Machines Forum) some months back.

Depending on spare time, and funds, we're hoping to upgrade the forum to the latest platform.  Users won't see a huge difference by what it looks like, but it will allow the forum to work in a much better way with add ons and modifications.  The current forum is slow, and this is made worse by the many modifications and coding that delays the forum from working as it should.  The forum is 13 years old, and needs an overhaul!

A warning that the forum will be down for an entire day, whilst the new forum is installed.  How will you survive?!?!   :o :D

When the forum does come back online, it will be VERY basic.  New modifications will need to be added one at a time over some days or weeks, which will be frustrating for you and me!  As an example, there won't be any 'thank you's', gallery, N'porium, adverts, profiles, mobile theme, mentions, bookmarks.....and many other items.

There will be an update on this nearer the time.  However, I felt that members would appreciate knowing that there are wheels in motion.

Kind regards,
Chris/Tank.

Tank

Also, I meant to add that I hope to add a much better Gallery.  Hopefully one that can resize photos automatically.

crewearpley40

Thanks for the advance notice and making this all possible Chris.

Train Waiting

That's good news, thank you, Chris.

Please let us know of the cost implications so you don't get landed with an unwelcome bill!

All best wishes

John

@Tank
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bob Tidbury

Thanks  for letting us know ,and  will  that mean it will be easier to load  pictures ,
If it does then I am sorry but you will be bombarded with photos of my layout .
Bob Tidbury

Malc

Best of luck Chris. Having done a couple of database migrations because of new releases of applications , I know things don't always go to plan.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

Quote from: Tank on April 10, 2023, 03:00:01 PM
A warning that the forum will be down for an entire day, whilst the new forum is installed.  How will you survive?!?!   :o :D

Kind regards,
Chris/Tank.

I may have to take up a hobby  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tank

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 10, 2023, 05:58:27 PM
Thanks  for letting us know ,and  will  that mean it will be easier to load  pictures ,
If it does then I am sorry but you will be bombarded with photos of my layout .
Bob Tidbury

I certainly hope it's easier Bob.  :D  Tell me though, what would make it easier?  This will help me to know what to look out for.

geoffc

Drag and drop or cut and paste for photos please!

Geoff

martyn

I belong to a marine forum, Shipsnostalgia.com

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/

You have to be a member to post (as usual), but when you click on the 'reply' it opens a message box for text, plus several links which can be added to the reply. One is a photo, which you just click on, and then click on the photo you wish to add, and that's it, photo embedded.

HTH

Martyn

Firstone18

Hope all goes well, and I like the idea of a 'basic' forum to start with using the new software, then adding a bit at a time so each incremental addition is tested and proven before the next one. It is very difficult to fault find if there is more than one possible source of the fault!
If funds needed, perhaps a small donation (£3?) from all forum members will be helpful?
I'll look out for updates.
Cheers :beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Bealman

Donations can be made at any time in the top right corner
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Firstone18

Quote from: Bealman on April 11, 2023, 12:06:58 PM
Donations can be made at any time in the top right corner
I seem to remember there was some problem a while back with the link in the top RH corner, but I cannot find the post.
I was thinking more of a 'all members' request just as a nudge when the new site is active, rather than relying on members to remember this possibility.
Cheers
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Trainfish

I don't think there was a problem as such, it was more a method of avoiding deductions by Paypal. My personal preference is to donate via Paypal directly rather than using the "Make a donation" icon and enter the email address Contact@NGaugeForum.co.uk, then select Friends and Family. This will mean that no commission is taken by Paypal as fees.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Firstone18

Quote from: Trainfish on April 11, 2023, 11:22:17 PM
I don't think there was a problem as such, it was more a method of avoiding deductions by Paypal. My personal preference is to donate via Paypal directly rather than using the "Make a donation" icon and enter the email address Contact@NGaugeForum.co.uk, then select Friends and Family. This will mean that no commission is taken by Paypal as fees.
Thanks for the reminder, I'll snip this and save so I won't forget again.
Cheers.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations