UK power regulations - potential safety issue

Started by Ancient Hermit, January 05, 2015, 12:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Hermit

Hello folks,

I've been examining my choices for controllers both DC and DCC in recent weeks.

I've found ways to solve most problems and shortcomings which I have come across so far, but with just one exception.

Powering the things has some issues to work around; some controllers are supplied with a UK mains plug in the way which the UK regulations require of domestic appliances. That is just fine. Then there are some which come with a cable with a foreign plug, the Euro ones seem to be catered for and the American types also, they have adaptors which can either be one use (once closed over the plug then it cna not be undone, or a reusable type which requires the use of a tool to change from one plug to another, and both of these are fine in terms of what the regulations stipulate.

The only category remaining is those units supplied in Euro or USA wall wart format; there are adaptors for those, and while they may work, they fall foul of the regulations for electrical safety, since they do not contain the foreign plug (as the regs require) in it's entirely (obviously it's not realistic to do that) and they are not classified as being exempt under the law like say shavers and sometimes toothbrushes are, although they are only permitted to by used in non wet areas of a building.

This leaves a problem which I have not been able to find a proper (as in lawful) work around for. Now what we might individually feel about the law is one thing, however if there were to be a fire and a device such as this was found in the after incident forensics, then it might be that this would provide a claims negotiator for an insurer with enough wiggle room to refute any claim made in that circumstance, which would not be helpful for any of us in such a situation.

It is that rather chilling possibility that has lead me to raise this matter, in the spirit of that choice most probably being for the greater good of this community. Better than choosing not to say anything at all I am certain.

I've done a bit of reading up to understand it as I do, and I've talked with one or two official bodies by phone. They have assured me that I am not misunderstanding the situation, and that it is a seriously risky proposition.

Any genuine work around known?
Cheers,
Ian
Using 100% Kato Unitrack, Kato DC controller, Dapol locos and rolling stock, so far.

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: Only Me on January 05, 2015, 12:21:50 PM
Not wanting to offend after your carefully worded question.

Could you not just cut said plug off and fit a uk plug commonly available from most hardware shops?

OR if you are talking about AC to DC step-down adapters firstly a US one wouldn't be any good as usually they require 110V AC not 240 as we have here in uk/europe, Maplins (among others) sell a vast range of AC to DC adapters, it would just require you to read said non uk adapter check the output voltage and current then go purchase a similar one.

Something like this would suit the job perfectly..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-60w-switched-mode-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l11bq?gclid=CJ6aj9Xs_MICFWjItAoda1AAHg
Paul.

Well for wired ones, as said, there are proper adapters which enclose the foreign plug and are specifically approved for use at that point. Two flavours, one shot and reusable.

The problem is that some have USA and other type PSUs which are rated as being fine for 110-240 commonly, however they are a single brick with the foreign pins sticking out, and there are no approved adapters for them. There are un-approved means to make them work, but then they are simply unapproved and their lawful use is actually subject to question.

That's exactly why I was concerned.

Hope that makes the issue a little clearer; it is certainly not a fully simple matter!
Cheers,
Ian
Using 100% Kato Unitrack, Kato DC controller, Dapol locos and rolling stock, so far.

Maurits71

Ian, the law allows for an one shot adaptor plug, if you buy something without it's at your won risk and in case of a fire the insurance can deny your claim.

to avoid this issue, buy from a UK based shop as by law they should provide you the sufficient plug.

Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Trainfish

If you're that worried then change the plug and have it PAT tested. An insurer would struggle to get away with not paying out then.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: Trainfish on January 05, 2015, 12:58:30 PM
If you're that worried then change the plug and have it PAT tested. An insurer would struggle to get away with not paying out then.

Commonly the pins in question are moulded into the power supply brick, can't see any scope for making you suggestion work. I reckon anyone carrying out  PAT test would simply reject anything treated in that manner.

Sorry if I am being dense here. :hmmm:
Cheers,
Ian

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: Maurits71 on January 05, 2015, 12:48:58 PM
Ian, the law allows for an one shot adaptor plug, if you buy something without it's at your won risk and in case of a fire the insurance can deny your claim.

to avoid this issue, buy from a UK based shop as by law they should provide you the sufficient plug.

Yes for the wired ones, that is as I said exactly how to treat it. However this brick style issue cuts down choices, and as far as I can see those with a moulded PSU brick with non UK pins sticking out can not be made to work and still be in compliance. A couple that spring to mind are the one or more of the Powercab and the Gaugemaster products. Now I am only going by the pictures that they and their agents post, and they may indeed be able to offer the right thing, but I have not seen them online yet. By that some token, I have seen others where one has the choice to swap out the cable from the wall to the unit and use a UK one, so that's why it's only the brick brick that plugs into the wall which is the problem.

I've not bought anything yet, and so I am not yet in a position to be all that worried, but I'm still trying to see if I can get some choices for when I do purchase, hence wondering if there are any means by which those few problem products could become a smarter purchase than they currently are. I'm just trying to be careful with what I get myself in to.
Cheers,
Ian

Trainfish

Quote from: Ancient Hermit on January 05, 2015, 01:25:09 PM

Commonly the pins in question are moulded into the power supply brick, can't see any scope for making you suggestion work. I reckon anyone carrying out  PAT test would simply reject anything treated in that manner.

By a "power supply brick" do you mean a transformer with an integral plug of some description?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: Trainfish on January 05, 2015, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Ancient Hermit on January 05, 2015, 01:25:09 PM

By a "power supply brick" do you mean a transformer with an integral plug of some description?

YUP!  :)

I've only ever know them called "power bricks" and or "wall warts", never met your description in common parlance before (sheltered life I lead probably), but that's the one!

Anyway I guess the problem is more obvious now we have the right phrase. I don't know all the right words because I'm a newbie! Sorry for that.
Cheers,
Ian

NinOz

The way most in OZ deal with this is to bin the wall-wart and buy a replacement power supply locally.  Wouldn't take the chance of mucking about with adaptors or modifications.
Generally I would only be in this position if I imported directly and didn't get the shop to dump the power supply before shipping; it is illegal to sell anything but an approved plug in OZ.

Is this an option?

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: NinOz on January 05, 2015, 01:47:15 PM
The way most in OZ deal with this is to bin the wall-wart and buy a replacement power supply locally.  Wouldn't take the chance of mucking about with adaptors or modifications.
Generally I would only be in this position if I imported directly and didn't get the shop to dump the power supply before shipping; it is illegal to sell anything but an approved plug in OZ.

Is this an option?

CFJ

Not exactly an option because the makers often say in their user manual that if you don't use their supply then the warranty is void.

The legality you mention in OZ is more or less the same here except it seems the law is not really upheld here due to "trading standards" being a regionally based affair and no one region has the clout to take on major manufacturers. So in short they can do whatever they like. This was revealed when doing my homework as I looked into this whole thing. I found that rather lacking and quite chilling.
Cheers,
Ian

Trainfish

I think for anyone to provide an answer we would need to know what controller you are looking to buy. Either that or just buy one which does comply with regulations.
John

<*))))><

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: Trainfish on January 05, 2015, 02:01:21 PM
I think for anyone to provide an answer we would need to know what controller you are looking to buy. Either that or just buy one which does comply with regulations.

OK, I surrender, I shall go get my coat. :) :sorrysign:
Cheers,
Ian

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Ancient Hermit on January 05, 2015, 01:58:59 PM
"trading standards" being a regionally based affair and no one region has the clout to take on major manufacturers. So in short they can do whatever they like.
An interesting thread.
I have no expertise nor authority in these matters, so cannot help, but I am intrigued by your ref to the competences of the regional TS.

Surely the law is the law, enforced or not, so would there not be a claim against the vendor in the event of damage done to you, whether or not your insurer covered you ?

(not trying to be controversial, just curious )

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Ancient Hermit on January 05, 2015, 02:06:35 PM
OK, I surrender, I shall go get my coat. :) :sorrysign:
Oh dont go now, it was just getting interesting ! lol! :) :)

Ancient Hermit

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 05, 2015, 02:12:25 PM
Quote from: Ancient Hermit on January 05, 2015, 01:58:59 PM
"trading standards" being a regionally based affair and no one region has the clout to take on major manufacturers. So in short they can do whatever they like.
An interesting thread.
I have no expertise nor authority in these matters, so cannot help, but I am intrigued by your ref to the competences of the regional TS.

Surely the law is the law, enforced or not, so would there not be a claim against the vendor in the event of damage done to you, whether or not your insurer covered you ?

(not trying to be controversial, just curious )

I simply googled for"Euro UK mains adapter" and other variations along those lines adjusting for countries etc, and there were plenty of horror stories to be seen. Wiki does a pretty good job of explaining in fairly plain English just what UK standards are. It allows for some foreign systems to be accommodated but it also clearly rules out others. Sadly it's not even like it is consistent across each manufacturer. This leaves it to be a bit of a lottery, but with alarmingly serious consequences.

One day I just saw a picture on a vendor's online shop and it made we think "what's going on there, looks like the wrong plug", and being a somewhat cautious shopper I felt it better that I went to find out and frankly, I just wish I'd never seen that picture, because now I feel like I'm just bashing my head against a wall.

Oh well.  ::)
Cheers,
Ian

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations