The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

unfortunately mine have been computer generated rather than human, but I do tend to just leave the phone on, and hopefully bump up the scammer's phone bill.

if they have one.
I would welcome the chance to discuss these with a human, you can guess the 'tone' that would be taken. >:D

Gwalton

I was receiving loads of phone calls asking if I have been involved in a car accident etc, I now ignore and block them, some are mobiles and others landlines.

I just google the numbers after they have rung off because there is a site which you can check them on. https://who-called.co.uk/
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01387461006

If you have a smart phone then you can block them but in days they will use another number and try again. I only answer numbers I know.

We don't have a landline but for those who do, then I guess its a nightmare if you can't see who is calling you. 

No one is going to give you anything for free these days and these phone scams are on the increase.

Last year there was an elderly guy I know who was about to send £200.00 to someone because they had contacted him about a room he had to let, she had sent him a cheque (from her alleged new employer in the UK) for more than the 1st months rent and deposit bond and asked him to send the difference to her via western union money transfer. I told him not to send anything because I knew the cheque would bounce, a few days later, the bank returned a photocopy of the cheque informing him the cheque book it had come out was reported as being stolen.

People need to be careful these days and not so trusting.

guest311

used to get those 'our records show you were involved in an accident', but for some reason not had one for ages....

couldn't be because the last time I :

asked for a reference number
asked for an e-mail for a response
explained that the MOD police, local county police, and Military police had all decided that I was not to blame, and that if the other driver had not parked his car on the tank ranges, I would not have driven my Challenger MBT over it
then offered to get my Regimental police detachment to get back to them

hello, hello  ?

oops, they seemed to hang up  >:D

guest311

back where I belong, yet again....

today's subject "bus drivers and public transport"..

"they" want us to use public transport, but make it as inconvenient as possible.

younger daughter with two grandsons were coming down on the bus to borrow my car for a few days, her power steering pump has gone. [sorry, her car's power steering pump has gone  :-[]

she gets on the bus, contactless card payment only, and her card won't work.
is there a slot for card + pin, of course not.

she checks on her phone and there is sufficient money on the card

comment from driver "you'll have to get off, you're holding me up".

in my day as an OMO on Southdown that would have got me an interview with the duty inspector, but of course in those days we took cash, and had change machines.

apparently, from my call to Metrobus, they do still take cash, but don't give change, just a credit for another journey.

'can I lodge this as a complaint ?'
'err, no we don't know if it is a fault with her card or our system, is she with you'

'what part of your driver told her to get off the bus did you not understand ?'

'can she give us a call when she gets there and we can talk about it'

I get in my car, drive from A to B, subject to roadworks, potholes etc, it seems on the very public transport sytem 'they' want us to use, they have no respect or consideration for passengers, but of course thay have free wi-fi  :veryangry:

no wonder no one wants to give up using their car to use public transport.

no where is that bottle of Scottish Water  :beers:

update:
got on the following bus where card worked with no problems.

guess there will be another call to Metrobus so called customer service, and you do not want to hear the recording of that call.

public transport, you jest.

Trainfish

I received an email from Shell Energy today to say I need to up my direct debit. Considering my DD was £108 until late last year I think £259 may be a bit over the top even with the increases we have been warned about. And all this when Shell are making an *estimated 6.9 billion million pounds of profit each day!  :veryangry:

*That's my estimate by the way
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on March 07, 2022, 02:53:39 PM

today's subject "bus drivers and public transport"..

I remember the days when you got on a bus and if you did not have enough cash, (no cards in them days), you gave the Conductor, (what happened to them?), your name and address and you got a slip of paper from the Conductor and went to the bus company offices the next day and paid the outstanding amount.

Okay, I will take the rose tinted spec's off now.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Quote from: Trainfish on March 09, 2022, 07:18:59 PM
And all this when Shell are making an *estimated 6.9 billion million pounds of profit each day!  :veryangry:

According to t'internet, Shell made a profit of $6.4 billion in the last quarter of 2021.  :o :goggleeyes:.
David.

Trainfish

Well, that has really cheered me up, thanks for that  :*(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

The Q

Quote from: dannyboy on March 09, 2022, 08:17:07 PM
And all this when Shell are making an *estimated 6.9 billion million pounds of profit each day!  :veryangry:

According to t'internet, Shell made a profit of $6.4 billion in the last quarter of 2021.  :o :goggleeyes:.
At least with Shell moving to Britain, HMG will get a nice little increase in tax income..

emjaybee

Quote from: The Q on March 10, 2022, 08:54:42 AM
Quote from: dannyboy on March 09, 2022, 08:17:07 PM

At least with Shell moving to Britain, HMG will get a nice little increase in tax income..

I'll have a Mod move that last post, this isn't the 'joke' thread.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

stevewalker

Now I know why car insurance is so high!

Earlier this week my wife's parked car was hit by a truck - hit being rather an over-emphasis ... a rubber mounted sidelight caught the edge of the rear bumper and just peeled the plastic panel away, with no damage to the rest of the car.

I can source brand new plastic bumpers, painted to match the car for £276 and a replacement fog-light lens for £15. Everything simply clips or screws into place.

The truck's insurer has already contacted me and declared the car "not economically repairable" and offered to write it off, paying us £1677 or let us keep the car to repair ourselves, giving us £1677 minus 20 to 28%.

So a repair that should be under £500 (including labour) is too expensive, but giving us £1207 to £1341 instead isn't?

They have a weird grasp of money and maths  :confused1:

It's not as if the delay is costing them money funding a hire car for us while awaiting repairs, as we can do with just my car and have rejected a hire car.

guest311

personally I'd take their money, buy loads of N guage  >:D , and then get the repair done by a local garage.
excess cash on one side for a rainy day.  :angel:

BUT

I do not know the proceedure / cost of then returning the car to the road. this is where there may be a problem.

others will have more knowledge on this.

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on March 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM

I do not know the proceedure / cost of then returning the car to the road. this is where there may be a problem.

I also do not know what the procedure is these days, but if a car is 'written off' by an insurance company, it used to be extremely difficult to get it insured again. Obviously, it can be done. but ...
David.

stevewalker

It will come under category N, which is cosmetic damage. Repair would involve only unbolting/unclipping the plastic cover on the bumper, unplugging and removing the fog and reversing lights, obtaining and painting a replacement plastic panel and reassembly. There is no structural damage and the replacement would return it to better condition than prior to the damage!

The current insurers have confirmed that they'd not even take the write -off into consideration when looking to re -insure. No difficulty and no increased premiums.

guest311

I wonder what your decision will be  :hmmm: :hmmm: >:D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations