!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 197150 times)

guest10040

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #2655 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:55 AM »
I gather that Herpes have rebranded themselves as Evri

as in evri parcel lost, delayed, misdelivered or damaged  :hmmm:

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #2657 on: May 06, 2022, 12:14:16 AM »
still waiting for notification my 320's have been despatched, the team at Revolution must be having real trouble sending to Aus at the moment.

Offline stevewalker

• N Gauge Society Number: 29704
    • Awards
« Reply #2658 on: May 08, 2022, 12:31:11 AM »
After many years of good service, my satnav is getting past it. The holder falls off the windscreen, the microphone cable (for hands-free phone access) is fraying, the suckers for the cable are useless and the memory is too small to fully install the up to date maps. I don't want to use my phone, as I don't always carry it or the battery can be low, but a proper satnav can be kept in the car and always available.

I am not looking at the cheap end of the market - the old one over 400, but lasted about 14 years.

I have 97.50 of Tesco vouchers to put towards a new one ... but Tesco have recently stopped selling them! :(

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2659 on: May 08, 2022, 10:02:29 AM »
I bought my Siesta 7 years ago with a built in jobbie (optional extra). I guess the maps were out of date within a couple of years

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #2660 on: May 08, 2022, 10:04:22 AM »
I think you will find that dedicated satnavs are going the way of betamax etc. I never used one until recently and now use google maps on my phone. I know you say that you don't always carry your phone, but how about keeping a spare in the car mainly for use as a satnav, but would give friends and family a way to get hold of you in an emergency. I have a Samsung E20 with an account on 3 costs 22 per month and gives unlimited calls, texts and data.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2661 on: May 08, 2022, 10:16:00 AM »
Have to agree, particularly the 'high end' area of the market, what do you get spending 400 over a base model? I note (because curiosity got the best of me!) that TomTom now only do 3 models. Get a phone charger in the car and start carrying the phone. Never out of date, and saves you 400 (or 395 once you've bought an in-car charger!).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2662 on: May 08, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »
I am not looking at the cheap end of the market - the old one over 400, but lasted about 14 years.

I know you say that you don't always carry your phone, but how about keeping a spare in the car mainly for use as a satnav, but would give friends and family a way to get hold of you in an emergency. I have a Samsung E20 with an account on 3 costs 22 per month and gives unlimited calls, texts and data.

:hmmm: Replacement satnav for 400 or Samsung E20 @ 22 per month over 14 years = 3696.
Bargain!! ;)
(From a smartphone hater)

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #2663 on: May 08, 2022, 10:25:21 AM »

I know you say that you don't always carry your phone, but how about keeping a spare in the car mainly for use as a satnav, but would give friends and family a way to get hold of you in an emergency. I have a Samsung E20 with an account on 3 costs 22 per month and gives unlimited calls, texts and data.

:hmmm: Replacement satnav for 400 or Samsung E20 @ 22 per month over 14 years = 3696.
Bargain!! ;)
The phone cost 100. Even if you bought a satnav you would need to pay out a fee to keep it updated.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
« Reply #2664 on: May 08, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »

Bargain!! ;)
The phone cost 100. Even if you bought a satnav you would need to pay out a fee to keep it updated.

I already have a smartphone. It's my emails, my internet, my yellow pages, my materials suppliers, and my satnav. As previously mentioned, Google maps is constantly updated, so no need for paid map updates or subscriptions.

From someone who is not a trogal troglody trogod trodilyt smartphone hater.

:-*
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #2665 on: May 08, 2022, 10:44:28 AM »
Just got a notice from Garmin, my lifetime of maps ends next year. Anoying as I had US, UK and Aus/NZ maps on mine for travelling.

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
« Reply #2666 on: May 08, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
Just got a notice from Garmin, my lifetime of maps ends next year. Anoying as I had US, UK and Aus/NZ maps on mine for travelling.

Cripes! Were you aware your life was ending next year?

:o
Brookline build thread:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2667 on: May 08, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »

Luddite is far easier to spell :P

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
« Reply #2668 on: May 08, 2022, 12:09:17 PM »

Luddite is far easier to spell :P

THAT's what I was trying to spell!

???
Brookline build thread:

Offline stevewalker

• N Gauge Society Number: 29704
    • Awards
« Reply #2669 on: May 08, 2022, 01:37:33 PM »

Bargain!! ;)

A satnav with maps for Europe and lifetime updates can be had from around a 100.  Prices have fallen since I bought all those years ago - in fact our very first one cost 950. For 160, you can get one with European maps, Bluetooth hands free for your phone, voice activation ... even Alexa for queries on the move. And if they last as long as my previous one, that's a one-off payment for 14 years of service! I have used my phone for navigation on occasion, but find that it doesn't work as well handsfree as dedicated kit with an external microphone and its own speaker, with voices being harder to make out in both directions.

New cars seem to be coming with satnav built in, but often with only a single map update included, with future ones costing a couple of hundred pounds a time!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal