DJ models - Dave Jones new venture

Started by scruff, September 06, 2013, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Might be interested in a J94 which I can use as an Industrial loco.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

MikeDunn

DCC ready LNER J94 ... £80, choice of 2 running numbers ???  Bugger, there goes more money !!!

Shame it's the same numbers in OO ... oh well, I guess I can renumber those ones  ::)

Bartercode

I would feel a little more comfortable if Dave had a little more legal stuff on his company site..............

The Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002 specify the rules that apply to traders who use electronic means, such as the internet, to promote and sell their goods and services. A trader is required to:
give their name and a geographical address
provide contact details including an email address for quick and accessible contact
provide details of any trade body, authorisation scheme or regulatory professional body to which they belong
give their VAT registration number
clearly set out the steps which the consumer must follow to conclude the purchase (the process must allow for the consumer to stop the order if a mistake has been made)
set out their terms and conditions clearly

It is early days yet, but I do remember having great difficulty contacting Dave in a previous enterprise. Let's hope all the above requirements will be met in due course - and certainly before he starts trading.

For example, the legal name of the business appears to be DJModels Limited - not Dave Jones in person, but this is not mentioned properly anywhere on the site, as far as I can see from a quick glance. DJModels Ltd is mentioned under his signature, but even that is not accurate - it should be "LIMITED", not "LTD".

Tank

Quote from: Bartercode on September 07, 2013, 05:23:45 PM
It is early days yet, but I do remember having great difficulty contacting Dave in a previous enterprise. Let's hope all the above requirements will be met in due course - and certainly before he starts trading.

Same here.  As many know from the N'thusiast thread, he still owes me £300 and others.  I certainly wouldn't trust him again in regards to giving my money.

Roy L S

[quote author=Zwilnik While he was there the models looked really good, but the industrial design was terrible and caused most of the issues their detractors have experienced. The linkage between engine and tender on the steamers being one particularly daft bit of design that they only needed to look to Peco's 20 year old Jubilee for a particularly good tender power connection for instance.

[/quote]

You mean Peco's 40 plus year old Jubilee!

Mind you to be fair that power connection only had to transfer power from one not both "sides" of the loco.

Cheers

Roy

Skyline2uk

QuoteClass 17 (who would not buy a pair of these beautiful diesels?)

20 points for you sir!

I am also feeling a little "Septic peg" (and no Owl, that's not a hygiene issue, I showed and deo today  :D) as I was only reading the lastest Model Rail the other day, saw a picture of a 00 Class 17 and thought....

... "I wonder if that will ever be offered RTR in N"?

Ok, not that impressive  :doh:

Skyline2uk

MikeDunn

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 07, 2013, 07:46:39 PM
Ok, not that impressive  :doh:
Blimey that's a coincidence - that was my impression of the 17  :laughabovepost:  You can tell we model different eras  :D

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:

Quote- that was my impression of the 17  :laughabovepost:  You can tell we model different eras  :D

It would appear I have been miss-quoted...how rude  :P

Besides little old me would not know what a class 17 was supposed to look like.....

Skyline2uk

OwL

I would feel a little more comfortable if Dave had a little more legal stuff on his company site..............

The Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002 specify the rules that apply to traders who use electronic means, such as the internet, to promote and sell their goods and services. A trader is required to:
give their name and a geographical address
provide contact details including an email address for quick and accessible contact
provide details of any trade body, authorisation scheme or regulatory professional body to which they belong
give their VAT registration number
clearly set out the steps which the consumer must follow to conclude the purchase (the process must allow for the consumer to stop the order if a mistake has been made)
set out their terms and conditions clearly

For example, the legal name of the business appears to be DJModels Limited - not Dave Jones in person, but this is not mentioned properly anywhere on the site, as far as I can see from a quick glance. DJModels Ltd is mentioned under his signature, but even that is not accurate - it should be "LIMITED", not "LTD".

A very good point and many thanks for sharing this information as I was not aware of this before now.
I was also not aware of Dave Jones's previous business ventures prior to Dapol.
I wish him well but I also hope he plays by the rules and does not up-set anybody (accept maybe his previous employers ::) :smiley-laughing:)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Dorsetmike

Details on DJ models website, N gauge classes 17, 23, & J94.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bartercode

Quote from: Tank on September 07, 2013, 05:51:13 PM

Same here.  As many know from the N'thusiast thread, he still owes me £300 and others.  I certainly wouldn't trust him again in regards to giving my money.

I suspect part of the problem was that he had to assemble and paint things in the past before delivering the goods, like the Nthusiast bubblecar in RTR form. Now, I get the impression that he seems to be relying on others to do most of the physical work - rather like the Class 73 set in Railtrack livery, which Dapol did for him and (as far as I know) were all delivered.

The danger - all too obvious in my opinion from the euphoria evident here and in at least one other place - is that people will blindly flood him with orders and deposits on the basis of his reputation with Dapol, without even considering the possible risks. Even with the very best of intentions, there is always the danger, in my opinion, that things might not go as well as hoped.

Personally, I will be very cautious, but if I need something he offers under the new enterprise, I will at least consider buying it.

PLD

Quote from: scruff on September 06, 2013, 06:15:04 PM
I think it is totally untrue that we are biased against Dapol on here.

Unforunately there are a vocal minority of N gauge modellers who ARE biassed against Dapol (such as the expert elsewhere who recently proclaimed the Farish 9F to be "far superior to the Dapol effort" ::)), but there is also a similar number who are pro-Dapol / Anti Farish.

Overall I'd say that comment on this forum is as balanced as anywhere, with the majority willing to give credit where earned, and criticism where deserved to both major manufacturers...

B757-236GT

I think the J94 will do well but would it be worth £80 more than a s/h farish one, it would need to be in the £60 -£80 to have a decent chance of selling. Im not convinced by the Clayton or the Baby Deltic. They've been poor sellers in OO so only time will tell. As he hasnt offered anything i want my money will stay in the wallet but even if there was i think id still wait and see what appears first!

The best bit was when someone showed one of the bachmann guys a leaflet and the reply was - "ah so hes using our motors now then!" make of that what you will!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

MikeDunn

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 07, 2013, 08:00:38 PM
It would appear I have been miss-quoted...
Mis-quoted ?  No ... not at all - just very selective  :D

Besides little old me would not know what a class 17 was supposed to look like.....
Or me ... but the CAD image is an ugly spud to my eyes ... :confused1:

I'll wait & see what these LNER locos are like before I part with my money ... are they good looking & accurate, do they run right, do I have to mess about oiling them straight outa the box, etc ...

Mike

Unfortunately both the class 17 and 23 will not be of interest to me. However, a new manufacturer producing models is very welcome. I'm modelling BR in the late 70's to mid 80's and so far have only GF loco's and rolling stock. I have nothing against Dapol and look forward to purchasing their class 33's and 50's when released. I will also be purchasing some freight wagons of theirs in the future and am looking for a number of their dogfish wagons in black or rust colour.

As of right now I'm playing catch up and trying to buy as much of the discontinued GF models that I can while they are still floating around. Need another 4 x 37238 and 10 (or more) x 47035 (all going to be secondhand now). I just found out they have discontinued 2 of their freightliner wagons that I need 5 each of too. 

Hopefully Dapol won't suffer and DJ Models will be a success, a win-win for us modellers.

Jamie

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations