Getting tagged, incorrectly

Started by Malc, June 25, 2023, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

I am often getting messages to say I have been tagged in a thread, only to find it is Malc-c. I also get messages from other users that should go to him. Obviously the system must be only looking at the first few letters and not matching them all.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

chrism

Quote from: Malc on June 25, 2023, 04:27:51 PM
I am often getting messages to say I have been tagged in a thread, only to find it is Malc-c. I also get messages from other users that should go to him. Obviously the system must be only looking at the first few letters and not matching them all.

Or the user isn't selecting the right Malc from the dropdown list.

Newportnobby

Once you have put in '@' and the first 3 letters a drop down menu shows all the names beginning with those 3 letters.
It's up to the user to select the correct recipient and I guess some just don't

Yet_Another

If Malc is getting messages to say that he's been tagged, when the tag is actually for Malc-c then that is a software issue, not a lazy user issue.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bealman

I'm afraid I disagree there. It's user error. They need to make sure they select the correct name.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc-c

Well just to confirm I'm not receiving any PMs for Malc, and on checking the dropdown list after just three characters are typed there are two other users between me and Malc, so it's not as if we are next to each other in the dropdown list and would be more likely the user selecting the wrong person as Malc is second in that list, or he's naturally top of the list when four characters are entered, with me in 5th place.
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

emjaybee

Quote from: Yet_Another on June 25, 2023, 10:29:49 PM
If Malc is getting messages to say that he's been tagged, when the tag is actually for Malc-c then that is a software issue, not a lazy user issue.

Sorry, have to disagree. You get a drop down menu with compatible options, you then select from the list. The more characters you type in, the narrower the list becomes. It's an easy mistake to make. Been there, done that.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Quote from: Bealman on June 25, 2023, 11:20:38 PM
I'm afraid I disagree there. It's user error. They need to make sure they select the correct name.

That depends surely. You're assuming that people are accidentally tagging Malc, not Malc-c. If, however, he gets notified, but the *actual* tag is for Malc-C (and that's not a cheeky edit) then that is absolutely a software issue.

Bealman

I've made tagging mistakes myself, especially on my phone. It's really just a matter of checking that it is correct before selecting it.

Trainfish

If I type "@Malc" without the "" and then press enter (rather than selecting someone else from the list which shows up) the notification will go to Malc and nobody else. I can't see it being a software issue only a user issue.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Yet_Another

Ok, so going back to the top and re-analysing what Malc had observed, it appears that the pm system is sending messages to (@)malc that should be going to (@)malc-c. So there are pms from other users that should be going to malc-c that are actually going to malc, and there are automatic tag notifications where malc-c has been tagged, but the notification pm has gone to malc.

It points to some part of the pm system which is ignoring anything after a hyphen in a user name.

@Malc : is what I've written an accurate description of what you've observed?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Malc

@Yet_Another . That is spot on. I did mention this to "the man who has read the manual" some time ago, but he couldn't come up with anything but finger trouble. What we need is another hyphenated user and see if it happens there.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

OK... sounds like one for Tank. Of course the easy way out would be for malc-c to change the username slightly.... ?

Malc-c

Quote from: Bealman on June 26, 2023, 08:38:31 AM
OK... sounds like one for Tank. Of course the easy way out would be for malc-c to change the username slightly.... ?

But if is a software issue that would only be sticking a plaster over the problem.  I'm not inclined to go through the hassle of creating a new account and then try and have the admin team sync the two accounts before deleting the old, nor should Malc do the same.

My concern is that if people are tagging me in posts or sending me PMs and they are getting routed to Malc then I could be missing something  - I did receive a PM form one member who is undergoing test for medical reasons - I have a poor memory and couldn't recall if I had wished him luck in a post, or if he was confusing me with Malc - I wished him well to avoid any confusion.

Maybe the software needs to be case sensitive - my username is all lower case, where as Malc starts with a capital letter.
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

Bealman

I'm not trying to be insensitive or callous here, but if either you or Malc change your callsigns, it'll be fixed.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations