the language of livery

Started by tgv_obsessed, May 13, 2012, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgv_obsessed

have just been admiring Tank's squirts of aquafresh on another thread, and it got me chuckling about we use our language- Toothpaste, Fag Packet, Blood and Custard

Are there more choice livery nicknames? Ok there's Barbie, but I mean nicknames like the ones I mentioned that would probably cheese off the designers.

mods can put this in the happy thread if they want to- because it makes me happy.
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Mustermark

Isn't the design name for the Barbie livery 'Dynamic Lines'. Or is Barbie something else?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

longbridge

Cant speak for back home but in Melbourne where I grew up in the 1960s the suburban trains were called "Red Rattlers".
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

1936ace

Same here in new, we had red rattlers with reference to the electric suburban sets and u boats referring to the silver inter urban sets

kaiwhara

I thought Dynamic Lines was what they use now as their corperate colours?

Quote from: Mustermark on May 13, 2012, 01:39:28 AM
Isn't the design name for the Barbie livery 'Dynamic Lines'. Or is Barbie something else?
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Pengi

SWT Wessex electrics (442) were known as 'Piggies' but this may be because they used plastics
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Mustermark

Quote from: kaiwhara on May 13, 2012, 06:20:25 AM
I thought Dynamic Lines was what they use now as their corperate colours?

Quote from: Mustermark on May 13, 2012, 01:39:28 AM

Yes, that is correct. Dynamic lines is the current livery that i think is also known as neon.

So, Wiki says Barbie is the first livery with the purple with the single big pink swoop that preceded the dynamic lines.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Greybeema

I don't even know what the proper name is for the Kent Coast EMU's livery that we knew as "Jaffa Cake" but it was on refurbished CEP's - BACHMANN get your paint set out....

:Class414:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Tank

Quote from: Greybeema on May 13, 2012, 08:55:17 AM
I don't even know what the proper name is for the Kent Coast EMU's livery that we knew as "Jaffa Cake"

London & South Eastern livery.        :smiley-laughing:

tgv_obsessed

i rather like the jaffa cake livery- a sort of muted nurofen plus version of toothpaste
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Tank

I like to see the odd unit, but a whole fleet of the dull colours would send me into depression!!!!  God bless Chris Green for brightening up the railways with such a bright livery.  ;)

Agrippa

Years ago the North Clyde EMUs were called the blue trains
... because they were (you've guessed it) blue trains.

PS the Glasgow subway (world's smallest and third oldest )
is not called the clockwork orange as frequently referred to
as such by the media, it is simply called the subway.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations