Vat and other taxes and fees for my Ngaugeforum brothers and sisters

Started by scottmitchell74, August 05, 2014, 02:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

I brought up the possibility of selling/trading to my folks here at NGF in another thread, and it was mentioned that the import taxes/fees can be a stumbling block to that, as far as most of the World is concerned. What I'm wondering is, how much does this run?

If the item is 50 pounds + 7 pounds shipping - what are you paying in the end when it's all said and done?
What if it's 100 and 10? 150 and 15? If I can sell you an engine at discount US prices, it still might beat UK, German, Australian, etc...prices. Win-win!

What I'm getting at is, if I want to deal with you guys, I might be able to give you a deal and still get a price I like simply by both parties avoiding ebay, even with VAT, and other fees included.

Looking forward to the input and the learning. Thanks!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

EtchedPixels

Importing from the US can incur duty and potentially VAT (sales tax). The actual system for calculating it is obscure and complex to the extreme because if people understood it they'd start doing annoying things like appealing the amounts. In addition the couriers charge large "processing fees" on top.

There are legal ways and means however. Firstly they don't charge on items below a certain value (about £15). Secondly there are no fees between EU countries, and different EU countries have different rules for imports from non EU countries  :D

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

It also doesn't help that our Royal Mail admit to the levying of 'handling charges' in the UK is a total postcode lottery i.e. some get clobbered, some don't :unimpressed:

ozzie Bill.

Surely if the item is a private transaction between two non-commercial entities, then it should not attract import duties or fees? Bill.

Sprintex

Ian Morton

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on August 05, 2014, 12:01:38 PM
Surely if the item is a private transaction between two non-commercial entities, then it should not attract import duties or fees? Bill.

If only.

BTW don't be tempted to mark down the value on the customs declaration so tht it escapes duty/VAT/handling charges - that is called fraud and will cost you a lot more if it is spotted.

The customs people are very alert to what is passing through their hands and so are the couriers - they face stiff penalties if they are transporting (even unknowingly) items that are banned from international flights - like aerosols, enamel paint and loads of other useful stuff.

Sorry to rain on your parade - but import/export isn't as easy as some people make out.

Ian

Agrippa

My sister in the USA used to send my  late Dad 2 pounds of pipe tobacco by surface mail .The baccy was in tins
which were from some US biscuit selection called something like Aunt Bessies Homemade Cookies. Over a few
years only 1 or 2 didn't get thru. On the customs declaration in the UK it can be marked as a gift with approximate value, not sure if same applies to items fro the US, but I think so. I think stuff from an individual less likely to attract
attention than a commercially packed item.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Tdm

When I bought my Morley Vesta Controller their Invoice price was £69 + Delivery by TNT £32.20. However when it was delivered to me in Tenerife I had to pay an extra €66.19 to cover Import charges, local tax, and other handling charges.

So an item priced at £69 ended up costing me circa £157 (using the Euro to £ exchange rate in force at the time).

If I had known that in advance I would have bought the item in the U.K. on one of my visits, and carried it back in my suitcase and saved money.

Items I get from Hattons for example however automatically exclude VAT and the postage ranges from £7.50 to about £12 (RM AirMail) depending on weight.

The only thing I have ordered from the USA was my Canon Camera (the Rebel model) as it was priced much cheaper than the equivalent model advertised in the U.K., and that came with a host of accessories and was delivered to me here in Tenerife in good time, and if I recall correctly (it was some time ago) the delivery charge wasn't very much at all and I didn't have to pay any Import taxes or extra charges.

I think it is very much Hit & Miss if you get clobbered by Import charges or not.

scottmitchell74

Well, that's a bummer on a number of fronts.

1) It doesn't seem fair that I can have something delivered to my door thousands of miles away for less than you'd pay to walk next door and buy it.

2) It doesn't seem like I'll be selling/trading anything with you guys. Not worth if for you.

Thanks so much for the lesson. Sorry about all the VAT, duty, etc...  :veryangry:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Chetcombe

In my experience even marking something as a Christmas gift on a US customs form has resulted in charges being levied:(

The only success I have had in avoiding extra charges on delivery to the UK came from advice from Bob at BR Lines. Whenever I send him a loco I describe it on the customs firm as 'Model train for repair in UK'. So far, so good in this regard...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

ozzie Bill.

So, Ian and Paul, when I send my sister her Xmas gift, she is charged VAT and import duties? Bill.

Sprintex

Bealman

Quote from: Chetcombe on August 08, 2014, 04:13:10 AM
In my experience even marking something as a Christmas gift on a US customs form has resulted in charges being levied:(

The only success I have had in avoiding extra charges on delivery to the UK came from advice from Bob at BR Lines. Whenever I send him a loco I describe it on the customs firm as 'Model train for repair in UK'. So far, so good in this regard...

That is an interesting and possibly useful piece of information.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Chetcombe on August 08, 2014, 04:13:10 AM
came from advice from Bob at BR Lines. Whenever I send him a loco I describe it on the customs firm as 'Model train for repair in UK'. So far, so good in this regard...

That should work as the item is then returning abroad.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chetcombe

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 08, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
That should work as the item is then returning abroad.

Very true, but the VAT man has no way of proving it other than possibly checking out Bob's business credentials.

Thinking about it one of my Farish Warships has been back to Bob for repair twice. That makes 5 Atlantic crossings including the original trip out to me. My model has probably traveled more miles than the original loco did in its short life :D
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations