Windows 11

Started by Newportnobby, March 01, 2023, 08:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

My 'new' laptop is on Windows 10 and is offering me a free upgrade to 11.
Worth doing, please?

KevTheBusDriver

Hi NPN - my PC is on Windows 10 and I was offered a 'free upgrade' too - I looked at some of the reviews and decided to stay on 10...
others may have a different (better) view!
Kev E.

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 01, 2023, 08:42:35 PM
Worth doing, please?

Only my personal experience.

Leave on Win 10.

My laptop was spec'd by me, and built by Novatech. It has good anti-virus (Norton) and I don't allow it to do 'Feature' updates, only security updates.
When I first had it, it booted to stable in 90s. It still boots to stable in 90s and it's now six years old.

From previous experience, every update slows it down a bit more. I'd have been quite happy if Windows hadn't changed since 'Vista', 'cos quite frankly I don't need anything that has been added since.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: emjaybee on March 01, 2023, 09:12:33 PM

From previous experience, every update slows it down a bit more. I'd have been quite happy if Windows hadn't changed since 'Vista', 'cos quite frankly I don't need anything that has been added since.
That's why I'm still running Win 7, it does all I need, in fact my photo editing programme needs an XP emulator to run!

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stevewalker

I have upgraded this machine to Windows 11, despite it being unsupported on this architecture. No problems in the 6 months or more I've been using it. The kids have also upgraded to it, but their machines are supported.

Graham

I bought a new pc (this one) almost 12mhts ago and it came preloaded with Win11, I have subsequently upgraded the laptop I use for my consultancy and all are working really well.

Malc

I've never had a problem with Windows 11.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

I've never had a problem with 3.11 either. That is the 11 we're talking about right?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Steven B

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 01, 2023, 08:42:35 PM
Worth doing, please?

Microsoft has started the withdrawal of support for Windows 10 - some of the earlier sub versions (e.g. 21H1) are no longer receiving security updates. The most recent version of Windows 10 should still get updates until October 2025.

Personally, I've not heard any horror stories about Windows 11 - the worst part is the relocation of the start menu from the bottom left to the bottom centre of the screen.

The biggest issue with Windows 11 is that there's no 32 bit version, and the need for a trusted platform module to enhance it's security features. Put the two together and a lot of otherwise useful PCs will be heading for recycling.

Steven B.

steadfast

Quote from: Steven B on March 02, 2023, 08:59:35 AM

Personally, I've not heard any horror stories about Windows 11 - the worst part is the relocation of the start menu from the bottom left to the bottom centre of the screen.

Steven B.

It can still be put in the bottom left, there's an option somewhere. Can't remember where it is now, but I did it as soon as I upgraded to 11 and it's still there now.

Jo

Fardap

I think Win 11 has been the least traumatic of any of the iterations in my experience and that started at Win 3.11 updates.

I have a laptop on Win 10 that doesn't meet spec but have heard that it doesn't mean it wont work... not sure I want to try that one yet thoug.

Controversial for some but... I like Win 11...

ten0G

I bought a laptop with Win11 pre-installed. 

Had it been possible to revert to Win10, I would have done. 

My main problem is Win11 tries to force you to use Edge all the time instead of the browser of your choice. 

I still have to be careful even though I have Firefox set as my default, also use Chrome for comparison. 

If you don't object to Edge, I guess it's not so bad, but I find the general learning curve quite a drawback. 

My previous Windows experience was pre-Vista circa 2006! 

Jack

My Dell came with Windows 11, I've had problems with the Dell but not with Win 11. There are things that Win 11 can do that I like, which Win 10 cant.

I wish I could upgrade my old Toshiba which runs on Win 10 to Win 11 but it's unsupported. I did force Win 11 on the Toshiba and it did work after a fashion, but not as well as when running Win 10.  :(
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

LASteve

The project manager took the offered upgrade from 10 to 11 last weekend.

She didn't like the start menu moving from the left to the middle either, so if there's an option to move it back I can get some brownie points :)

Other than that the only odd thing that's happened is specific to Outlook 365 how it behaves when you open an email from your Inbox and you want to go back to the Inbox list.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations