Dapol (re)announce HST Protype train - open for pre-orders

Started by NGS-PO, September 08, 2018, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobby

not really bob  , i have used either locking bars which are fine running no problem but are a pain connecting and detaching due to the sloppiness of the coupling housing , i am trying the new hunt couplings at the moment and they seem a better option for me that said its horses for courses.

Philip.

Quote from: Snowwolflair on August 29, 2020, 05:19:38 PM
I gave up and have ordered Hunt Magnetic Couplings the ELITE version.  Should be with me by mid week.  They do an HST set but you will need two extra coaches worth for a full HST-P.

I'd be interested to see how easy these are to fit, I have a Dapol HST bookset on order and I'm considering fitting the Hunts

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Philip. on August 30, 2020, 07:15:39 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on August 29, 2020, 05:19:38 PM
I gave up and have ordered Hunt Magnetic Couplings the ELITE version.  Should be with me by mid week.  They do an HST set but you will need two extra coaches worth for a full HST-P.

I'd be interested to see how easy these are to fit, I have a Dapol HST bookset on order and I'm considering fitting the Hunts

I hope easy as they are NEM couplings.  I will post my thoughts when they arrive.  I also have a number of sets that will get the same treatment if they prove reliable.

Philip.

woodbury22uk

I have fitted all 10 of my HSDT Mk3s with short Hunt couplers and they seem well able to take the strain. With the power cars on their way to Chirk for exchange, it fell to my Ribblesdale Cement Class 17 to test things out. Pleased to say that the Class 17 lifted all 10 on a 1 in 50 gradient with just the merest hint of wheelspin for the first couple of centimetres.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Steven B

I've switched to using Hunt Ultima couplings on all my Dapol Mk3 rakes including HST. They work well, allowing the close coupling mechanism to do it's job. Works just as well with the loco pushing from the rear of the train. You'll need close coupling for the Mk3 and an intermediate for the power cars.

Swapping them is simple but a pair of tweezers or fine needle nose pliers helps.

Steven B.

PaulCheffus

Hi

Where do you get the hunt couplings from?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Snowwolflair

Calnefoxile

Another vote here for the Hunt Couplings. I've just done my HST rake and have, so far, had no issues.

Be careful when plugging them into the NEM pockets though, I suggest pulling the bogies off then supporting the NEM pocket as you push the Coupling into the Pocket, as I had to take the chassis's off and reseat the close coupling mechanism on a couple of coaches.

I've also got the Rapido replacements as well which is my next task, has anyone else replaced a Farish HST set with these couplings?? If so do I need an extended Coupling set for the Power Cars as for the NEM pocketed ones??

Cheers

Neal.

Trainfish

Quote from: Calnefoxile on September 01, 2020, 12:43:41 PM

Another vote here for the Hunt Couplings. I've just done my HST rake and have, so far, had no issues.

Cheers

Neal.

You'll have to bring those round next time you're here (COVID permitting) to show me @Calnefoxile Neal. I haven't had any issues with the HST-P couplings but have had plenty with other Dapol HSTs which is also why I mainly use Farish coaches on them.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob G

Has anybody who returned their sent-in-error RTC version received their real "in-service" version yet?
It seems like an age since I sent mine back.

Also very unhappy that no one at Dapol has responded to the email I sent to Joel in regard of me receiving the wrong pre-ordered model.

FWIW I also had to cancel a different Farish order with a well known retailer and phone around to get another model I wanted due to the shop advertising stock on the website but not actually having it, and not responding to my emails to them either.

Seems like Covid is becoming a poor excuse for bad customer relations.
The only present I'm going to get this year is free prescriptions on the NHS.

Perhaps this should be in  the grumpy thread.

Best
Bob

EDIT Some present pixies must have seen this post as I now have had an email promising delivery tomorrow.
Thank you Dapol fairies.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Bob G on September 03, 2020, 02:51:02 PM

It seems like an age since I sent mine back.

Best
Bob

EDIT Some present pixies must have seen this post as I now have had an email promising delivery tomorrow.
Thank you Dapol fairies.

I think you said you sent it back on 26 or 27 August so 5 or 6 working days back. Mine was sent on Friday 28 August so hopefully I will have my replacements this week or early next.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

carderrail

Got a mail earlier saying my parcel from Dapol will be with me tomorrow - assume its the correct HST to replace the incorrect one received.

Regards

Tony

Yet_Another

I gave my power cars a run in last night. Never having seen the original in person, can someone tell me if the headlights were really that bright?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations