Highfield Models LNER Suburban Coach Liveries?

Started by icairns, March 14, 2023, 01:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icairns

Richard Taylor

Ian

Within the limits of printing ink the livery is meant to be LNER teak brown paint (as used on secondary stock.). Being printed on a yellow background (for the lining & lettering) and being in plastic bags makes the ink look more maroon in the photos.

As for prototype: anyone's guess. I suspect that Peter Middleton intended them to be either Gresley non-corridor stock or possibly - given his personal modelling interests in N gauge - ex-NER. If the latter then a dark maroon shade would ironically be appropriate.

I had a load of these plus his card wagon kits when I started out in N in 1978, sourced from the "odds and sods" rummage box kept behind the model railway counter in Precious' Toys And Models in Low Petergate in York.  Memories!

Richard

icairns

@Richard Taylor Thank you for your reply.  I think you may be correct in your comments.

In order to see if I could unearth any more information, I contacted Colin Allbright because I know he is very interested in vintage N gauge models and has a large collection of kits and models produced by Highfield Models. 

Colin's (abridged) reply to me was:

"Looking through my collection, the three types of suburban coaches are definitely not maroon.
The NE Clerestory kit is. I would say the colour is a teak shade, varies slightly between samples due to poor colour printing control but definitely brown not maroon."

So, there we have it!

I think the Highfield LNER suburbans are meant to be like the LNER coaches shown in the following link (scroll down to see individual coaches):

https://www.steamsoundssupreme.com/mt-gresley-nc-twinpack

The colour is what I would probably describe as "dark teak."

Ian

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations