Toy Fairs and Second Hand

Started by Taffius, March 06, 2023, 07:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taffius

Hi all. Of course I should know better:

I get a little buzz when you can see savings of second hand locos and rolling stock at toy fairs because less cost = more items!

However, I still get deflated when I get them home and try them out to find niggles or "item has been tested and works" leaves a lot of detail and expectation not accounted for.

So I have decided that Toy Fairs are not ideal locations for purchases if you expect fair performance out of locomotives and you understand rolling stock may have issues if not checked under a magnifying glass.

Here is an idea - have some track or rolling road on the stall and prove to the consumer the performance of the item your buying is worth the money being forked out and then the buyer can make an informed choice.

This is not a moan - I should know better!

Thoughts?

John

Steven B

Take a PP3 9v battery with you - the terminals match the spacing between wheels meaning you can give a loco a quick test regardless of if the trader has a test track set-up.

Steven B.

Taffius

Quote from: Steven B on March 06, 2023, 08:51:06 AM
Take a PP3 9v battery with you - the terminals match the spacing between wheels meaning you can give a loco a quick test regardless of if the trader has a test track set-up.

Steven B.

Thanks. Great idea. Would a pp3 with a bit of track and rolling road work??
John

ntpntpntp

It takes experience to know what to look for when coming across second hand stuff at toy fairs, exhibitions (and indeed online).  There is a lot of overpriced rubbish out there, but there some gems and restorable bargains.  I used to have to gently advise some of my operating team away from things they'd spotted but which in my opinion would be "iffy" purchases :)     I would certainly not recommend second-hand as a source for newbies to the hobby.   

I agree with taking a 9V battery along with you as a power source to check for life, but yes traders really should have some sort of test track with them for the common gauges.  Fortunately the exhibition traders I've got to know well over the decades are perfectly happy to let me take a potential loco purchase to my layout for test run.

The last thing I bought from our local toy fair was an original 1980s Farish class 47 for £12, needing some attention and I could see what the problem was so I fancied the challenge!

It needed new bogie retaining clips which are available as spares but I drew up and 3D printed my own, plus a plate to secure the loose battery box.

Sorted  :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Not having the ability or knowledge to fix duffers I avoid buying locos from toy fairs and a well known auction site. Rolling stock is another matter and generally far cheaper. I agree the battery could be a solution but such fairs are quite noisy which could drown out any fault. I have bought a couple of items at model railway shows but only on the basis there's a layout I can get the item tested on.

PennineWagons

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 06, 2023, 10:15:48 AM
Not having the ability or knowledge to fix duffers I avoid buying locos from toy fairs and a well known auction site. Rolling stock is another matter and generally far cheaper.

That's my approach too. You can easily tell whether a wagon or coach is in acceptable condition just by taking it out of the box and having a look at it. Locos are a different matter, and the seller's idea of acceptable running might well not be yours. There are no doubt bargains to be had, but IMHO you'd have to feel confident in your ability to fix minor and maybe not-so-minor issues in order to risk it. Caveat emptor, as we say in Birkenhead.
PW

Bigmac

Quote from: Taffius on March 06, 2023, 07:33:20 AM
Hi all. Of course I should know better:

I get a little buzz when you can see savings of second hand locos and rolling stock at toy fairs because less cost = more items!

However, I still get deflated when I get them home and try them out to find niggles or "item has been tested and works" leaves a lot of detail and expectation not accounted for.

So I have decided that Toy Fairs are not ideal locations for purchases if you expect fair performance out of locomotives and you understand rolling stock may have issues if not checked under a magnifying glass.

Here is an idea - have some track or rolling road on the stall and prove to the consumer the performance of the item your buying is worth the money being forked out and then the buyer can make an informed choice.

This is not a moan - I should know better!

Thoughts?

If youre happy to buy 2nd ( ?) hand locos,  but are understandably concerned about toy fairs or strangers online--why not opt for buying  off several members of this forum who regularly have refurbished locos for sale.

I have bought several locos off Dr Al--and they are superb.  He often lists his items on the various Facebook n gauge groups.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

geofff

There's also a member called Ozymandias , who repairs and renovates second hand items. He usually posts on here when he has something to sell  and usually leaves a link to EBay auction. I understand that he also undertakes commissions to adapt your personal items.

Geoff

The Q

Almost all my rolling stock both N and 4mm is second hand. Locomotives are 50/50.
All second hand locos are from model railway club shows, where they are more likely to be "working condition" and many have a test track to prove it.

Railbank

Back in the day when Farish manufactured in Poole I bought many a loco at toy fairs with only a visual inspection, however the mechanisms were simple to strip and repair.

Spring forward to today and I only buy rolling stock from exhibition traders, the mechanisms are now complicated in comparison, throw in lighting systems, pcb boards, dcc and differing pick up arrangements and it's not worth the risk.

Take this weekend, I could have been tempted by a 37 in Regional Railways livery, but it was on at £100 and not worth the risk, at least with the well known auction site you have some recourse to raise a complaint and over the years I have had a small number to return.

Also prices are often as high on trade stands as they can go on the auction sites.

So settled for 4 mint condition wagons at acceptable prices, 2 were bargains, the other 2 on the money against recent eBay purchases but saving on the postage.

My advice is to be choosy, only buy in your comfort zone, as others have said there is a lot of overpriced rubbish out there, but there is some good stuff as well.

Taffius

Thanks all. Good advice for a thread and will take these points made forward with my gained wisdom.

Have bought already from here via fb group so will keep an eye out. Many thanks.
John

stevewalker

I was at Preston the other day and picked up a non-working loco for £7. I have spare motor parts and can sort it easily enough. I just have to decide now whether to strip and repaint the white metal Duchess body or extract the Black 5 mechanism below it and stick one of my spare Black 5 bodies and tender on.

Newportnobby

My mate Rob had picked that one up and the guy behind the stand latched onto him immediately to say it was a non runner and just £7 but Rob has as much idea as me when it comes to fixing things.

stevewalker

At that price, I was more than willing to take the chance. I 've not checked it thoroughly, but I have spun the motor and the mechanism is free, so it has got to be a motor or pickup problem. As I have two duchesses already (one needing a return crank replaced), I may transfer the wheelset (which looks to be the same) or it may make sense to turn this chassis back into a Black 5, which I have spare bodies and tenders for - or I may look at what other kits or 3D prints are available for that chassis.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations