Another two good musicians gone….

Started by Southerngooner, March 12, 2024, 01:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

I saw on the BBC this morning that both Eric Carmen, he of "All by myself", and Karl Wallinger of the band World Party, have both passed away. Not big names but ones whose music I have gained much pleasure from over the years

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Newportnobby

I've not heard of the latter but Eric Carmen was played too often in my courting days. I still have it on 45. It's based on a Rachmaninov Piano Concerto
Before his solo career Carmen was a member of The Raspberries who had a hit with 'Overnight Sensation' (which I also have)
Sad day :(

Southerngooner

Yep, bought "Overnight sensation" after hearing on it Radio 1 in the 70's but it never got anywhere, did it?
World Party were big while I was commuting in the car in the 90's....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Southerngooner on March 12, 2024, 02:40:52 PMYep, bought "Overnight sensation" after hearing on it Radio 1 in the 70's but it never got anywhere, did it?

Not too shabby in North America but didn't chart this side of the pond despite some half decent airtime on the radio

Moonglum

Gosh, I had forgotten about Eric Carmen. I had his second album "Boats Against the Current" but didn't like it much despite a lot of good musicians being on it; luckily, my sister did so she had it.

Cheers,

Tim

port perran

Karl Wallinger has played with the Waterboys most notably on the Whole of the Moon.

As for Eric Carmen, I know little of him other than I really do not like that All by Myself song I'm afraid.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chetcombe

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen the news on Karl Wallinger stateside. He was only 66 RIP. I have the first 2 World Party albums, haven't played them in years but have fond memories, particularly of Bang!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations