Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Bob G on August 06, 2022, 12:22:18 PM
No Chris
Dapol have rerun almost everything they have dies for apart from these desirable coaches!!!!
Nowt like folk!
Bob

Thanks, Bob, for your quick reply. I hope that all is well. I cannot understand why Dapol have not. I need a couple of them in BR SR Green and also, ideally, in BR Crimson & Cream, to make up accurate 2-coach North Cornwall local service sets.

I also still cannot understand why no one (not even as a 3D print) produces the Bulleid BCKs.

honestjudge

I spoke to Joel of Dapol at Tings today regarding the High window maunsell coaches in the other liveries. Dapol are not planning to do any other liveries.
I asked him the same question last year and he said exactly the same this time. I'm giving up hope of a green set unless I do it myself.

Bob G

The logic of manufacturers! This is from the people that made maroon Gresley coaches with the wrong bogie spacings and concluded that the livery was the wrong choice, and why the coaches had poor initial sales, rather than the poor design of bogies.

When the low window Maunsells were produced everyone asked when they would do the high window variant. Sometimes Dapol do odd things like the Maunsell BCK and then produce only one variant of it, but in three liveries. You would want several of them in eg the ACE. So we wait for the next release. And wait.

I think the high window variant is suffering the same. Wrong initial choice of livery. Poor sales. Accountant MD says it doesn't sell. No more liveries.

Am I right?

Chris in Prague

Thank you for the update. Dapol clearly needs a Product Manager who understands the customers' needs and wants. Any authentic BR livery is going to be more popular than a Southern Railway one. To create many realistic BR SR Maunsell coach sets, BOTH High and Low variants in BOTH BR Crimson & Cream and BR SR Green are required as basic research would prove! Some 3D printed High Window Maunsell coaches are available and that is the way I will go.

Karhedron

I think Dapol are misguided by their GWR coaches which always sell better in chocolate and cream. Thus they have concluded that pre-nationalisation liveries are better sellers.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

honestjudge

I couldn't agree more.   I had plans to create a P-set or two,  with  high and low window brake vehicles. But it looks like I will have to do some spraying if I want that.

Joel did say in our conversation, that they had a warehouse full of unsold maunsell coaches, and until that reduced....!

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Karhedron on September 11, 2022, 07:36:13 AM
I think Dapol are misguided by their GWR coaches which always sell better in chocolate and cream. Thus they have concluded that pre-nationalisation liveries are better sellers.

Clearly, Dapol needs to do some basic market research: SURVEY potential customers!

Chris in Prague

Quote from: honestjudge on September 11, 2022, 08:25:44 AM
I couldn't agree more.   I had plans to create a P-set or two,  with  high and low window brake vehicles. But it looks like I will have to do some spraying if I want that.

Joel did say in our conversation, that they had a warehouse full of unsold Maunsell coaches, and until that reduced....!

Thanks. Respraying is certainly an alternative.

Sending Dapol a list of typical P Set compositions (so they could sell popular individual coaches to make up sets as well as market complete sets with correct running numbers and Set numbers) might help.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 11, 2022, 09:19:12 AM

Clearly, Dapol needs to do some basic market research: SURVEY potential customers!
So do Bachmann - seen any maroon Thompson's around?

Rapido are currently telling people they have to buy a Class 44 if they want to see a Class 45.

It's not just Dapol.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Bingley Hall on September 11, 2022, 09:49:06 AM

Rapido are currently telling people they have to buy a Class 44 if they want to see a Class 45.

It's not just Dapol.

I think I spotted Rapido's logic. Farish is very likely to announce a new version of their Class 45 which would leave us with 2 Class 45s competing for the market. This way you get a Class 44 and Class 45.

If Farish do not revamp the Class 45, Rapido have the Class 44 chassis and basic mould to develop into a 45 and 46 with a much lower initial outlay. The manufacturers are smart enough to have thought this through.

A Class 44 will do for me, bringing back memories of wheezing steam heated sets of Mk1s on the Midland Main Line slows in the early 1970s. Visions of Marilyn Monroe skipping through the clouds of steam in "Some like it hot".
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Bingley Hall on September 11, 2022, 09:49:06 AM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 11, 2022, 09:19:12 AM

So do Bachmann - seen any maroon Thompson's around?

It's not just Dapol.

The absence of the BR Lined Maroon Thompson design coaches is indeed puzzling but the BR Crimson & Cream ones seemed to have sold out quickly?

Chris in Prague

Joel did say in our conversation, that they had a warehouse full of unsold maunsell coaches, and until that reduced....!

Perhaps Kernow Models could be persuaded to commission 2P twin-packs of North Cornwall Line 2P Sets in BR Crimson & Cream and BR SR Green authentically combining High and Low window variants with the correct running and Set numbers?

Bob G

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 11, 2022, 11:46:08 AM

Perhaps Kernow Models could be persuaded to commission 2P twin-packs of North Cornwall Line 2P Sets in BR Crimson & Cream and BR SR Green authentically combining High and Low window variants with the correct running and Set numbers?
Now that is an idea and a half!

Dorsetmike

Maybe  a certain producer of adhesive vinyl overlays @captainelectra could provide a solution.
Personally I'm quite happy with the Dapol offering as I model SR mid 1930s, the only gripe being a lack of open 3rd and restaurant cars which I've overcome with some etched sides and my own overlays.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris in Prague

As I am happy to respray in BR SR Green and add the necessary transfers, can anyone please tell me the Dapol SKU numbers for SR livery High Window coaches which ran in North Cornwall in BR SR days?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations