The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: Yet_Another on October 15, 2020, 05:54:35 PM
There's plenty of inflamation and antagonisation

Tell me about it, my arthritic thumbs have been playing up summat shocking today.  ;)

C'mon gents, let's keep things nice, else them Mods are going to poop at our party.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Quote from: Yet_Another on October 15, 2020, 05:54:35 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on October 15, 2020, 04:59:09 PM
I see no need for deliberately inflammatory and antagonizing posts. You've made it patently clear you disagree already. This is just showing a complete lack of respect for other forum users situations.
Who's this directed at? There's plenty of inflamation and antagonisation, both deliberate and unthinking, on all sides of this issue.

If the cap fits...
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

daffy

Re the young and Long Covid.

I am 68. I have asthma and a weak immune system. I want people to take the pandemic more seriously because I do not want to die.

One of the reasons I don't want to die is because I have a lot of living to catch up on.

When I was at University in my early twenties I had a virus infection that stayed active in my blood tests for over three months. It took me 18 months to fully recover as I suffered very, very badly with what was called Post-Viral Fatigue (later termed, for obvious reasons, Chronic Fatigue).

It was hell, with poor memory and concentration issues, muscle weakness and poor coordination, depression, acute anxiety, and a feeling remarkably similar to having a very long bout of Influenza. This condition would fluctuate wildly throughout the 18 months it affected me, with some days and weeks being better not remembered.

Fourteen years later I had a two week bout of the Flu. Two weeks after that I had another bout of the Flu. Post-viral Fatigue set in once more and it was worse in effect than before, there being long periods when I CAN'T remember what was happening to me. Many days would pass where I was awake for less than 7 hours. It was a dreadful time in my life and without the superb support that I received from my wife I have no doubt that I would have probably have ended my own life.

You may think this extreme or a weakness on my part, but let me just add that I did not recover from this Chronic Fatigue for a long long time.

It started in November 1990. Though it remains with me to some degree even today, so I can never say I am truly rid of it, it was not until the Autumn of 2016 that I was over it's worst effects.

That's twenty five and a half years of highly variable and unpredictable debilitating illness.

Now when I hear and read about Long Covid I know just what they are referring to. The Covid virus gives the added symptom of lung-centred issues, but ALL the other symptoms I am seeing attributed to Long Covid are very familiar to me.

So yes, I am an old person with all the fears of dying that any rational person would possess, and a desire to avoid contracting a killer illness. But I am also one that lost a great portion of his life to the effects of a virus, and would simply say to those, both young and old who seem, without experience or sense, to dismiss or underestimate the Covid-19 virus: the evidence is out there that this virus can seriously change or end your life. It is no respecter of your health, your fitness, your feelings, or your beliefs.

You can ignore this if you like. After all, it's your life. Isn't it?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Well, what does one say after reading that? I am just glad that the worst seems to be behind you Mike.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

NinOz

Quote from: themadhippy on October 15, 2020, 04:53:34 PM
Quote, if they can't abide by the rules then someone has to make them do so
so youve never broke a rule ever?
I have broken many rules in my life but I can't remember doing so when it could possibly cost dozens, if not thousands, of people their lives.
Perhaps, I may be one of the small percentage of the population who carry a burden of responsibility for their actions. ;)

I am angry with the whole Covid event as it just reinforces how shallow and selfish some people are; railing against wearing a piece of cloth on their face in limited circumstances.   Imagine a surgeon with the same sense of entitlement. :(
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

NinOz

Quote from: Trainfish on October 15, 2020, 08:20:40 PM
Erm, nope

I would like to point out that only aluminium foil helps protect against Covid infection not an ill-fitting cloth cap which is known only to protect against drop bear attack in a eucalypt forest.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

daffy

An addendum to my last post here yesterday.

A BBC News item caught my attention this morning, which I link to below, which indicates that Long Covid, or ongoing Covid, has a greater range of symptoms that affect many more organs of the body than has been my lot.

QuoteBased on interviews with 14 members of a long-Covid support group on Facebook and the most recent published research, the review found recurring symptoms affecting everything from breathing, the brain, the heart and cardiovascular system to the kidneys, the gut, the liver and the skin.
These symptoms may be due to four different syndromes:
permanent organ damage to the lungs and heart
post-intensive-care syndrome
post-viral fatigue syndrome
continuing Covid-19 symptoms
Some of those affected have had a long stay in hospital with severe Covid-19 - but others, who have had a mild infection, have never even been tested or diagnosed.

In short, it is potentially far worse than the condition that plagued my life for so many years, and continues in some ways today.

My anger - nay, raging fury - towards those who continue to ignore common sense and treat this pandemic with disdain or even boredom, is now all the more acute.

And as for the virus - it has absolutely no feelings on the matter whatsoever. It just wants to spread its own gospel, which is far more powerful than any words anybody here can say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54540544

Whatever your feelings are, stay safe, stay healthy, and look after those who love you - and hopefully everyone else who may not.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

As a mod, I try to distance myself from covid discussions, but at this point, I will say that my opinion is that I think it's here to stay. It ain't going away in a hurry.  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

Last night I asked my sister what effect covid has had on the TV soaps in the UK.

She told me that Eastenders is back after a 3 month break, and the cast are social distancing but not wearing masks.

Is it the same in Wetherfield (she doesn't watch Coro') ?

RailGooner

Wetherfield is in Greater Manchester, so Tier 3.

stevewalker

I think on Coronation street they are wearing masks some of the time, but mostly just distancing - masks probably make it too hard to make out the sound, especially for those with impaired hearing. I read that Eastenders is using clear screens for filming, so that people who are supposed to be from the same household can be seen close together or even appear to be touching.

Newportnobby

Well, that's my life altered for the worse for a while. Lancashire is now lumped into Tier 3 restrictions which means family goes by the board for the duration. At least I can still get to the gym.
:(

Trainfish

Are you sure you meant gym and not Jim?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations