Advice please....reasonably priced model aircraft....

Started by Skyline2uk, August 23, 2015, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Hello all.

So, as some may know, I am now officially somebodies Fiance (see Happy Thread). 

We have been chatting about plans on the drive back up from Devon today and one thing we have decided would be a nice reference to my line of work would be if the tables at the reception were all named after aircraft.

As such, was wondering if it would be possible to put together a fleet of suitable models to form centerpieces of each table without busting the budget. In terms of scale, was thinking the single seaters / fighters could be 1/72 and bigger bombers 1/144 (see list below)?

Proposed list:

Spitfire
Hurricane
Lancaster
Vulcan
Victor
Valiant
Typhoon (technically Typhoon II as currently in service)
Harrier
Tornado

I have done some Google work and found an outfit call "Amercom" on Amazon who do all the list above in suitable sizes with the exception (oddly) of the Victor. However, this lot would come in at more that £111.00. Not really acceptable...

So, I seek the advice of the mighty member of the NGF. Any suitable brand / type of models that would cover the majority of the proposed list would be useful. Of course if anybody knows of a collection for sale....

Skyline2uk

guest311

you could check out

ukbulksales

on fleabay, do both BIN and bids

Skyline2uk

Thanks for that, will see what is available.

Skyline2uk

d-a-n

You might be best off having bombers 1/72 and fighters at 1/48 if they are the centre pieces of your tables - at the scales you've mentioned, they'll be lost on your average 8-10 person wedding venue round table. Do you want them in authentic liveries (not the right word I know!) or can you mount them on a spike at a jaunty angle and spray them a uniform colour to match your colour scheme of the day (and potentially buy a badly painted kit off ebay for cheap?)
I am a wedding photographer btw so approaching it from my point of view!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Skyline2uk on August 23, 2015, 04:51:34 PM

Typhoon

However, this lot would come in at more that £111.00. Not really acceptable...

First, congratulations on the forthcoming happy event and genuinely wish you both a long and successful relationship.

Secondly, is that the 'real' Typhoon (Hawker built, piston engine etc.) or is it  this strange looking aircraft the RAF use now?

Thirdly, for your list £111.00 sounds cheap, especially given the costs of 1/72nd bomber models these days.
I doubt you'll get them much cheaper, to be honest, but wish you luck.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Greybeema

I usually buy my models from Hannants.co.uk..  But as said above at £110 for 9 models - I don't think you are going to beat that....
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Skyline2uk

DAN: Good points, Mrs to be appreciates the idea of uniform colour. May well allow better value also.

Personally would prefer RAF liveries, seeing as the flowers on the tables may well be Poppies (Mrs to be wrote he thesis on the War Graves Commision and the Poppy Appeal means a great deal to her), won't look too out of place.

Having said that, as you correctly point out, bigger models less likely to get lost.

D1042: Thank you for the kind words. I do in fact mean noisey think the RAF currently blast around in (edited the original post accordingly).

I think you may well be right ref costs. I have said I will look on stalls at future shows in the meantime, but may accept that this cost is what it is.

Greybeema: Thanks will check out that shop. It's 8 models for that price (no Victor yet) but as above, your point remains valid.

Skyline2uk

Steve Brassett

You are going to struggle to get models cheaply - how about decent photographs on stands?  Mind you, when you consider what a wedding costs, £110 might not be too bad, especially if you sell them off on Ebay afterwards.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations