Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: JonMann on October 10, 2022, 03:38:49 PM
TT seems to be the in thing at the moment as both Peco and Heljan announced products for it a few months back.

Maybe "insider knowledge", eg. Hornby letting them know something was coming? :)  I'm sure it helps to get some other manufacturers on-board.   TT has always had a following on the Continent.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I'd be sorely tempted if the difference was bigger. For the European market the 1:120 does a great job splitting the difference between N and HO, whilst for the UK market it just feels too close to N for me, being only 20% bigger than 1:148.

The price is good though, and I like that there's a bit of crossover from both N and OO, so Next-18 sockets, but with more space for sound conversions/bigger speakers. I wonder what the detail levels will be like. A Railroad-esque 66 certainly wouldn't tempt me, and at the price given it's hard to imagine it being much else.

maridunian

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Train Waiting

What an impressive product launch!  It really is almost a complete system*, to be introduced in four 'phases'.  There then appears to be a range of products already planned to follow.  It certainly represents a lot of work and significant investment by Hornby over the past five years or so.

I wish Hornby every success.

Am I tempted?  Yes; I think so.

* Signals appear to be an omission at present - perhaps I did not notice them in the brochure.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Paddy

Very interesting development and I cannot wait to see the models in real life. As I get older, the eyesight is not what it was so TT appeals. Very large range although spread over many eras.

I wish Hornby every success with their new venture.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Brian-1c

It's very interesting.

One attractive part of this introduction is that, at least maroon Mk1 coaches can be bought and with just enough choice to make a full train. But it'll count for more if stocks are available over an extended lifespan, rather than only while this run lasts.
Brian

port perran

To me this is a gamble.
And is it a threat to N gauge?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Nbodger

Quote from: port perran on October 10, 2022, 08:41:57 PM
And is it a threat to N gauge?

This is what I was thinking, how much of a threat it will be.

If it takes off, other manufacturers get involved hence reduced production slots for N.

Will people look more favourable on TT than N as a space saver, I certainly may have years ago. N is only a small percentage of the sales of model railways will TT see it reduced further

gc4946

Maybe Hornby held back because of its prior experience with TT in the 60s.
1:120 scale is popular on the continent and Hornby senses they have a winner this time round.
It could do well for those who think N is too small but don't have the room to model 4mm scale.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

ntpntpntp

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

port perran

I think it's a real worry.
Hornby are so well known.
Ask anyone to name a company that makes model railways and they instantly say Hornby.
So anyone looking to build a space saving layout will automatically turn to Hornby ( because that's a name they know) and they'll realise that they can build a reasonable layout in a small space but in TT scale.

Before we know it Bachmann and Dapol will have tagged along  and N is dead.

And from a production viewpoint it's that much bigger and hence easier to build and more cost effective (and probably more reliable because of the slightly bigger size).

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bob G

Well...

Z gauge came along, and that never really took off like N has.
T gauge is for those that like to be "different" and push the envelope.
O gauge has a new following.
Why not TT as well.

Modellers are a broad church.

BUT

I've waited many years for there to be enough RTR models in OO to make a decent SR/WR blue period terminus/stone terminal layout, in DCC and with sound.
I've got a more than a decent enough collection of N to have a 50s/60s SR/WR main line layout. DC only.

O gauge is too big for my tastes.
I don't need the middle ground TT as it will be years and years before it has anywhere like enough variety as there is in N and OO.

I think @Nbodger is right that factories will struggle to deliver, if there is another scale to accommodate.
I also imagine Bachmann and Dapol will have to decide if they enter the TT camp or not. I hope not.

Just my musings.
Bob

Southerngooner

Am I the only one who thinks this is all a lot of hot air and no risk to OO or N? Unless Hornby have been secretly producing these models (and it's quite a range) and have them all ready to go then this is something that we won't see for a couple of years at least. Even when everything that has been announced is available there isn't enough variety in what has been announced by Hornby, Heljan and Peco to make much other than a good train set. The range isn't wide enough to cover even a decent fraction of any particular area, and I suspect it'll take ten years or more to get to that stage. A commendable new approach, but a risky one in these times.

And those couplings make the Rapido look so much better!

Dave

Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Bob G

Quote from: Southerngooner on October 10, 2022, 09:22:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is all a lot of hot air and no risk to OO or N? Unless Hornby have been secretly producing these models (and it's quite a range) and have them all ready to go then this is something that we won't see for a couple of years at least. Even when everything that has been announced is available there isn't enough variety in what has been announced by Hornby, Heljan and Peco to make much other than a good train set. The range isn't wide enough to cover even a decent fraction of any particular area, and I suspect it'll take ten years or more to get to that stage. A commendable new approach, but a risky one in these times.

And those couplings make the Rapido look so much better!

Dave

I'm with you on this Dave. And those couplings! Ugh!! Do they double as Compo ration can openers?

Train Waiting

Quote from: Southerngooner on October 10, 2022, 09:22:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is all a lot of hot air and no risk to OO or N? Unless Hornby have been secretly producing these models (and it's quite a range) and have them all ready to go then this is something that we won't see for a couple of years at least. [...]

I understand from the video that much of the track is already in Hornby's warehouse and the first two train sets are due for Christmas.  The first of the other locomotives appears scheduled to follow soon afterwards.  It appears to have been a successful 'Hush-Hush' operation!

The sets appear especially good value for money if one adds up the cost of the constituent parts and there is also a 15% discount for TT:120 club members.  Annual club subscription is £30.00 UK/£35.00 other.  But free until 31 January 2023.

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations