Storm Eunice

Started by Newportnobby, February 18, 2022, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Storm EunuchEunice is outside and revving her engine up. Next door's anemometer is tazzing round and round. Maybe up to 45-50mph so far but the Beeb website says winds in the 40's between 12.00 and 16.00 for us.
When it gets to wind in the 60's I'll accept it could be me :-[
Hope everyone gets through unscathed.

joe cassidy

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 18, 2022, 12:45:51 PM
Storm EunuchEunice is outside and revving her engine up. Next door's anemometer is tazzing round and round.

I hope the weather 'male chicken' (changed by forum) on the roof of your conservatory survives ?

tutenkhamunsleeping

Here in Telford we seem to have been spared the worst of it, certainly the wind isn't as bad as the previous storm.  I was a good citizen, however, getting the dog walking out of the way earlier and holing up indoors for some styrene butchery until the all clear sounds.

PS:  Anyone know what we're supposed to be stockpiling during this one?  I've not been watching the TV :no:

lil chris

Yes here in north Manchester the wind is just getting up to speed now. We usually do shopping on a Friday morning for us and my 83 year old father in law, we went yesterday afternoon after all the warnings. We would probably have been ok this morning but I am not sure what it will be like in the railway room later this afternoon, it does get a bit frightening up there.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Gordon

Dozens of trees down in this area, probably the most since October 1987 flattened the local wooded areas. Very very strong wind.

No trains running (GTR ie Southern / Thameslink issued an amusingly blunt  instruction to day to 'go home' and 'if you've already travelled find another way to get home'...
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

thebrighton

Rather frisky down here on the Sussex coast!

guest311

some of the garden furniture etc re-arranged, but SO FAR [tempting providence] no real damage.

HB was a pain this morning on his walk, but he always does play up when the wind is blowing, I think he gets so many distant scents, certainly it is not a good idea to let him off lead when it is windy.

grandson has just arrived to stay for a couple of nights, buses running, but they seem to have used single deckers instead of the usual double deckers with the result that they are packed and large numbers standing.

I noticed the usual men sitting and women standing when the bus pulled away, but as I am at present on coffee NATO and jaffa cakes for two months, I will not make my usual comment re these ignorant males.

it certainly looks as though it has not been as bad as predicted here, but still the fencing guys will be busy for a while  :D

stay safe, batten down the hatches, and I'm watching Bluestone 42 this evening on video, while SWMBO watches the dross on tv.

TrevL

Wind hasn't been such a threat here, the River Dee was causing some concern earlier. The 17 second video was taken some 300 yards from my house, although the danger appears to have passed now.  https://www.deeside.com/storm-eunice-updates-as-flintshire-braces-for-gale-force-winds-and-potential-flooding/
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

The Beeb have now revised their website to show 40-50mph winds through to about 05.00 now.
I realise it's like trying to predict when Farish will release something but I thought meteorologists were supposed to be professionals ::)

martyn

My local port Authority has a number of wind gauge sites; one has been consistently showing gusts of 50-60 knots and another has had gusts of up to 72 knots. This is despite the fact that pressure is now rising, and forecast was for wind moderation, though still strong.

I note our local ferry service is still running in both directions to the Hook of Holland and Rotterdam, but a bit slower than usual!

Martyn

Trainfish

Luckily we have a very friendly neighbourhood. The house down the road is sharing their trampoline with our neighbours on the other side of us

Meanwhile 1 of our bay trees is having a rest amongst the hailstones. I'm not sure where the other one is right now

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

PWayman

Yes ! Nobby      Wind in the 60's can be a problem  !!!!!    :D     I don't think it eases off in the 70's

Buffin

Sky reporters are relaying the official advice to stay at home as they stand on river banks and seaside promenades. What a hoot.

Trainfish

2 articles published by our local newspaper yesterday:

First this one.

Followed by this one.

Go figure  :hmmm:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

Apparently this is/was a stable in Pewsey just down the road from me:

Doesn't look very stable to me  :goggleeyes:
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations