January Model Rail - Backscene

Started by Lawrence, November 28, 2012, 10:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

I have just read Chris Leighs' Backscene column in the new MR and I have to say I couldn't agree more with his last two paragraphs.  I have no idea who the "prominent figure in the hobby" was who wrote to them, but to my mind we can well do without those "bah - humbug" sorts in our hobby, if you do not derive pleasure, enjoyment and fun from the hobby why do it in the first place.
If you are one of those people who do not think model railways shouldn't be fun and enjoyable then you are partaking in the wrong hobby and also spoiling other hobbyists fun to boot.

He also talks about Miniature Wunderland in Hamburg, lucky chaps got the behind the scenes tour too  :drool:

I am curious about the Rod Stewart/Daily Mail article in which he proclaims himself a model railroader, shouldn't that be a railroad modeller  :confused1: as that would suggest he is a paragon of railroading, or is in fact himself a scale version of a real railroader  ;D

MikeDunn

Quote from: Lawrence on November 28, 2012, 10:22:11 AM
I have just read Chris Leighs' Backscene column in the new MR and I have to say I couldn't agree more with his last two paragraphs.
For those of us who haven't ... what on Earth are you on about  ???

• He advocates cutting all steam engines up ?
  • He wants all diesels to crash into each other ?
  • He says all electrics should be recycled into razor blades ?
  • The Mayan calender is right ?
  • The pair of you will give £10 to each NGF member via PayPal ?
C'mon, give us a clue !!!  :D

Lawrence

You will have to buy it Mike, I couldn't possibly reproduce copyrighted material on here  :D

But he mentions regrets at not being able to establish a Model Rail International magazine, the lack of embarrassment surrounding railway modellers in other countries, those that run exhibition layouts to a strict "one train per hour" timetable.
And that we, as modellers should be proud to show the world our skills, artistry and ingenuity.
But buy it anyway  ;)

Claude Dreyfus

The stopping of Model Rail Internation was sad... I found this out a few months ago when offering a layout article to them. This prompted a discussion I posted on Rmweb, that may be interesting here.

The reasons given to me was that they could not generate the sales...meaning that aside from overseas mags, such as Model Railroader, or continental offering - the German mags being really good - only CM caters for 'overseas' models.

It seems to me that there has been a reduction in the numbers of overseas layouts, mainly European. Price would always be a consideration, but has the gradual improvements in detail and running of British outline also had an impact? How many modellers gave up on UK outline because it was crap?

tim-pelican

I've had an email from them telling me my subscription copy may be late because it's raining :(

Kipper

Having seen articles on Rod's U.S. layout, I would have to admit that he is a model railroader. I wish I could be that dedicated (or as rich)!

silly moo

Quote from: tim-pelican on November 28, 2012, 12:22:58 PM
I've had an email from them telling me my subscription copy may be late because it's raining :(

I've had that email too and I'm in Africa where it's so hot we could do with some rain to cool us down, however I think they are referring to the floods in certain parts of the UK. My heart goes out to those with flooded houses especially as it's winter. I expect that getting their copy of Model Rail is the least if their worries!

moogle

Quote from: Lawrence on November 28, 2012, 11:24:03 AM
the lack of embarrassment surrounding railway modellers in other countries

Thats because our non-model railway press are still stuck in the 1950's and think all railway modellers are trainspotters  :veryangry: and the non-model railway public are gullible enough to believe them!
Slowly that view is changing but it is very slowly.
By the time its changed completely I reckon HS2 would have been running 20 years!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Kipper

Things are getting better - a couple of biker mates were at the bike show, and went and had a look at the model railway exhibition, and were well impressed with the layouts. They want to know why mine looks nothing like those at Warley!  ???

PaulCheffus

Quote from: tim-pelican on November 28, 2012, 12:22:58 PM

Hi

I had that as well and I think it's a result of the problems they had with the distribution of the November issue.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26%