Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrism, Papyrus, JBQFC and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Malc

We use Saga for the car and household insurance and I got a 3 year fixed price deal. Have a squint at them.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

I have found Mick that when I am shopping around for new house and contents insurance, I can usually find one or two companies that are a bit cheaper then the current company. However, the cover is usually not as good, or, as you say, the required excess is a lot more. Once I have a couple of cheaper quotes, I ring the current company up and tell them that I can get new cover for a bit less and they usually match the figure I quote, or at least get near. I have found that I have not had to change the insurance company, (Allianz), since we bought the house in 1999! Mind you, they might just be being nice to me because I have only ever had one claim.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on June 22, 2023, 09:21:25 PM
We use Saga for the car and household insurance and I got a 3 year fixed price deal. Have a squint at them.

I used to use Saga until I found they were more than £200 over my current car insurer. When I spoke to them they tried to offer all sorts of reductions like a 'loyalty bonus' but I just said they had not been loyal to me so even if they matched the new insurer I would not use them again. Their 3 year fixed rate just meant I'd have been £600 or so out of pocket.
Hasn't stopped their junk mail, though

Trainfish

I do similar to Dannyboy and even if I don't get a cheaper quote I tell my current insurer that I did. Mind you, this year I didn't need to. I threatened to look elsewhere and they knocked it down immediately, I didn't need to look elsewhere. I can't remember how much they knocked off but I think I mentioned it in this thread somewhere.

EDIT: I just checked and I put it in the happy thread because they knocked off almost 25% of the renewal cost so I'm paying £620 to insure 2 cars and the buildings & contents which is just £12 more than in 2022. I'm quite happy with that.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on June 23, 2023, 12:19:39 AM

EDIT: I just checked and I put it in the happy thread because they knocked off almost 25% of the renewal cost so I'm paying £620 to insure 2 cars and the buildings & contents which is just £12 more than in 2022. I'm quite happy with that.

So basically they were trying to rip you off and you still gave them your business

Trainfish

Yes but on looking around I couldn't find it cheaper anyway. If I didn't have to insure the cars I wouldn't have done so.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Browning 9mm

unfortunately there are quite a few who don't.

several years ago there was a suggestion the the cost of 3rd party insurance be added to the cost of fuel, worked out by average mileage etc.
then you would chose to add fire and theft, fully comp etc through a separate policy with your company of choice, but no driver would actually be uninsured on the road.

needless to say, too stupid to see the light of day, after all the insurance companies make millions by adding on an extra bit to cover for accidents involving uninsured drivers.

Trainfish

I've always thought that insurance, VED etc should be added to the fuel cost so that those who use the roads more pay more and as you say everyone would pay (apart from fuel thieves of course). I guess it's not that simple though as if you've been driving for 50 years without making a claim then you should expect to pay less than the scrote who has just passed his test and buys an old BMW then tears around the town with loud music emanating above the sound of screeching tyres.
John

<*))))><

thebrighton

Quote from: Trainfish on June 23, 2023, 03:22:27 PM
....you should expect to pay less than the scrote who has just passed his test and buys an old BMW then tears around the town with loud music emanating above the sound of screeching tyres.

Or the 40+ year old scrote who's been driving for years and thinks a few pints won't affect their competence behind the wheel....

Trainfish

Er yes but not really the point I was trying to make.
John

<*))))><

Graham

Quote from: Browning 9mm on June 23, 2023, 02:19:40 PM
several years ago there was a suggestion the the cost of 3rd party insurance be added to the cost of fuel, worked out by average mileage etc.
then you would chose to add fire and theft, fully comp etc through a separate policy with your company of choice, but no driver would actually be uninsured on the road.
In the state I live in 3rd party insurance is part of your annual road tax, makes the annual road tax a bit expensive but at least everyone is covered. if you want cover your own car then you need to add a comprehensive policy on top. Not sure if all states are the same in Australia as each has their own rules.

stevewalker

The trouble is that the big costs that an insurer may face ARE the third party costs (deaths, lifelong injury, adapted homes and lifelong care, loss of a lifetime's income, etc.) and putting the cost on fuel, road, tax or anything like that takes no account of individual risk. Having the insured pay individually for the cover means that the insurers can load premiums for higher risk drivers (young, inexperienced, previous incidents, driving record, etc.)

Malc

When I watch TV programmes where the police catch uninsured drivers, the fines they get are sometimes less than the insurance premium. They might get banned for 12 months, but often they don't have a license in any case. It pushes up the premiums for us honest drivers and doesn't incentivise them to get insurance.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

javlinfaw7

The cars do tend to get impounded though ,so that should be expensive and inconvenient

TeeCee

Not really, they just go out and buy another rust bucket.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations