Quote from: Trainfish on March 28, 2023, 02:16:27 AM
You're sending Mick in excess of €1,000 ?  :goggleeyes:

aka Colonel Prince Umbagumba of the Nigerian army  :hmmm:  :smiley-laughing:

dannyboy

Quote from: Browning 9mm on March 29, 2023, 08:56:27 AM
Quote from: Trainfish on March 28, 2023, 02:16:27 AM
You're sending Mick in excess of €1,000 ?  :goggleeyes:

aka Colonel Prince Umbagumba of the Nigerian army  :hmmm:  :smiley-laughing:

Oh, I thought it was just me he had invited to his palace. I was going to use the money to pay for my travelling expenses, apparently once I get there, everything is free.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

paulbeckwith

how  is  it  everyone   knows  my  cousin  ....   aka  colonel  prince  umbagumba      ?????

paul

Newportnobby

Quote from: paulbeckwith on March 29, 2023, 04:00:57 PM

how  is  it  everyone   knows  my  cousin  ....   aka  colonel  prince  umbagumba      ?????

paul

Because he used to keep e mailing people :D

Papyrus

First World Problems, or Irritations with Modern Life No. 263: Car Keys

Why do they make life so difficult? When I went out in the car on Friday, a message on the dashboard said the key battery needed changing. Not a difficult job, I've done it before, so I did it when I got home again. Yesterday, we planned on going out for the day to the Weald and Downland Living Museum (well worth a visit), but when I went to get the car out of the garage it unlocked OK, but when I got in and tried to switch on the ignition it said 'Key not present'. OK... Opened the car door to get out again and set the car alarm off! My wife hasn't driven since lockdown, so her key was dead too, and a new battery in hers still didn't work. We had 3 spare batteries altogether, all theoretically well within their expiry date, but only the 'key not present' one seemed to work in any way. By using a trick Mrs P. found on the internet, I managed to drive to the supermarket to buy some more batteries and we now have 2 working keys again. I got enough to have some spares available, but I will never trust the alleged long expiry dates again.

Why does it have to be so complicated? What was wrong with having a proper key you stuck in a hole in the door and turned? From stories you read in the papers, it seems as if electronic systems are easily bypassed making the cars just as easy to steal. We did eventually get to the Museum, but it was an afternoon out instead of the whole day.

Cheers,

Chris

Trainfish

Not sure what car you have but with my Ford Kuga it doesn't like cheap batteries. I have to use Duracell or the equivalent. Mine can also start with either a flat fob battery or even no battery if you hold the fob in the correct place on the steering column.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Papyrus

We have a Skoda Fabia and, yes, they were Duracell batteries (expiry date 2031). The method you used to start your car sounds very similar to the way I found on YouTube. Can't understand why it's not mentioned in the owner's manual.

Cheers

Chris

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Papyrus on May 28, 2023, 02:33:27 PM
We have a Skoda Fabia and, yes, they were Duracell batteries (expiry date 2031). The method you used to start your car sounds very similar to the way I found on YouTube. Can't understand why it's not mentioned in the owner's manual.

Cheers

Chris

Hi

It's mentioned in my car manual (Hyundai).

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

dannyboy

Quote from: PaulCheffus on May 28, 2023, 04:09:11 PM

It's mentioned in my car manual (Hyundai).

And there is something very similar in mine (Toyota).
David.

mickeyflinn

Quote from: Papyrus on May 28, 2023, 02:33:27 PM
We have a Skoda Fabia and, yes, they were Duracell batteries (expiry date 2031).

We have a Nissan Leaf, and got the fob battery low message. Replaced the batteries with brand new Duracell ones I use with our other car and it wouldn't even unlock!! Replaced the low ones back into the fob and it unlocked again. Ended up going and buying some cheap Panasonic batteries to get it to work.

The Q

Quality batteries such as Duracell are Alkaline which have a nominal operating voltage of 1.2V
Cheap batteries are normally carbon based and have a nominal voltage of 1.5V.

dannyboy

I was not sure whether to put this in the 'Happy' or 'Unhappy' thread.

I buy Calor Gas in bulk about twice a year. I have just received a letter from Calor telling me that they are reducing, (makes a change), the price by 5 cent a litre as of 5th June.  :).  A price reduction is always good news, but I had 826 litres delivered just two weeks ago!  :doh:. Oh well, only another six months before I feel the benefit of the price cut.
David.

stevewalker

Demand (and price) will have gone up again by then  ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations