Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 26, 2022, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: Bob G on October 26, 2022, 10:57:44 AM

EDIT - I read recently that statins (which I take to keep cholesterol low) improves outcomes with Covid.

That's good. I've been on statins since 1995 :D

Last year the BHF wrote this: https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/behind-the-headlines/covid-and-statins

Statins are prescribed to millions in the UK to help lower levels of bad cholesterol in the blood. These drugs have also been associated with reducing inflammation and blood clotting, both of which can be features of severe cases of Covid. So there was already interest from scientists in whether statins may be helpful in treating severe Covid.
In this latest study, scientists at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden followed nearly a million people aged 45 or over between March and November 2020, looking at data from death registers and prescription records.
When they adjusted for other factors, such as existing health conditions, they found that taking statins was associated with a "moderately lower risk" of dying from Covid-19 – about a 12 per cent reduction in risk. This was true across different age groups and sexes.
The researchers stressed that this does not prove cause and effect and that randomised trials would be needed to prove that Covid deaths could be reduced by taking statins.
But this is useful reassurance that if you're taking a statin, it won't make things any worse if you get Covid and might even help.

I like the bit at the end of the BHF article where they have a dig at the Daily Excess :)

The Daily Express also ran sensational headlines, saying "Covid breakthrough as 'wonder' statins cut risk of death – millions of Brits may get them" and "MIRACLE drugs statins have emerged as the surprise weapon in the fight against COVID-19". These might wrongly give the impression that doctors will soon start prescribing statins as a treatment for Covid, which is unlikely, especially as much more research is needed in this area. A 12 per cent reduction in risk is certainly important, but not necessarily the "miracle" these headlines suggest.

Go forward a year, and this is the findings of a US study.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20221024/Regular-statin-use-may-reduce-the-risk-of-death-and-severity-of-COVID-19.aspx

The retrospective study is one of the most extensive of regular statin use in patients with COVID-19. Researchers analyzed the electronic medical records of 38,875 patients hospitalized for COVID-19 at 185 hospitals in the United States between Jan. 1 and Sept. 30, 2020. Of those patients, 30% regularly used statins to treat high cholesterol. Statin users had a 37% lower risk of dying from COVID-19 than those who didn't use statins. In addition, regular statin users were significantly less likely to be discharged to hospice, be admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) or develop blood clots. They also had shorter hospital stays and spent less time on a ventilator.

That's good news for me! No unhappy thread here!

Bob

Yet_Another

What a miserable set of analyses. Risk of death isn't exactly the most upbeat way of looking at covid statistics. It doesn't address duration or severity of infection for anyone at all.

And 30% of people admitted were taking statins? That's a huge percentage. Sounds like if you're taking statins, you're more likely to be admitted.

Gotta love statistics  ;)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Trainfish

I've added statins to the wife's shopping list for when I send her out to Morrisons next  :thumbsup:

After reading the post from @Yet_Another I'll ask her to get the 30% off version to be on the safe side. I just hope it's the right 30% which has been removed.

Quote from: Bob G on October 26, 2022, 10:57:44 AM
Time to buy some more Yeoman hoppers, perhaps?

Get well soon
Bob

Thanks Bob. I have a funny feeling that when my 10 hoppers are delivered tomorrow (if the postmen/women aren't on strike) I will decide almost immediately that I need some more and you know what that means as I do have a bit of a 'thing' for Yeoman hoppers.......................

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

You are as always absolutely correct. There are only 77 Yeoman hoppers in that picture but my spreadsheet says I have 94. I need help in finding the missing 17 hoppers  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob G

Quote from: Yet_Another on October 26, 2022, 12:56:40 PM
What a miserable set of analyses. Risk of death isn't exactly the most upbeat way of looking at covid statistics. It doesn't address duration or severity of infection for anyone at all.

And 30% of people admitted were taking statins? That's a huge percentage. Sounds like if you're taking statins, you're more likely to be admitted.

Gotta love statistics  ;)

if you are taking statins, then you need them, Covid or not, so we are really in the statin club whether we like it or not.

Dorsetmike

Quoteso we are really in the statin club whether we like it or not.

That's statin(g) the obvious
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Trainfish

If I didn't have a station then my trains wouldn't have anywhere to stop

I would get my coat but I'm far too hot to wear it right now  :*(
John

<*))))><

Graham

just come back from holiday to find a leaking pipe in the garden, and a $4000 bill to get the whole pipe renewed from the water meter to the house, and a wrecked front lawn to boot as part of the repair. not happy.

stevewalker

How much?! How about hiring a labourer to dig a trench and then put in a new pipe yourself?

Graham

If I was capable, or if my father was still alive (he was a plumber) and I was 20yrs younger not a problem. Beyond me now I am afraid, and when you have water pouring out like a full tap turned, you just need it fixing asap. the trench was close to 25mtrs.

Trainfish

It's a good job I built up a good stock of these....................

John

<*))))><

emjaybee

It looks like you had a massive exposure to the viral load. From what I understand, the higher the viral load you're exposed to, the 'worse' your case of the infection. All hail the vaccines, heaven knows what you'd have been like without it.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

Having lost a very good friend and a couple of acquaintances to Covid before the vaccines came out I agree, I probably/possibly wouldn't be here to type this if we rolled back 2 or 3 years. I have had 3 doses of the vaccine and had an appointment for the 4th on the 1st day I tested positive, this was cancelled of course. My wife had her 4th last month and although she felt a bit rough for a couple of days last week she never tested positive which is lucky as she is actually administering the vaccines and has been for a couple of months. I think her 4th dose kept this one at bay.
This is more frustrating than anything and I'm now used to not feeling great and not sleeping when I should etc but at least I'm still here and still have my warped sense of humour. If I ever lose that then it's time to worry  :worried:
John

<*))))><

Bealman

Keep on batting. I'm sure you'll shake it.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations