3D Printing at its Best

Started by Mr Sprue, October 26, 2013, 07:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Just got back from Swanley Kent after visiting the Expo Narrow Gauge show there.

Wandering around I suddenly noticed this very interesting stall and got talking to the guy who was Chris Ward of CW Railways. But get this, every model on his stall there had been 3D printed and from what I could see his stock was selling very well.

The machine Chris was using to print his models cost a whopping 38k and to top this he is planning to buy another!  :o On very close examination of his models they were near faultless, no lines or imperfections, every curvature smooth as a babys b*m, he even had a cycle chain he printed on display that well....moved as a chain does! To say I was impressed would be an understatement and Chris Wards work has to be undoubtedly the best 3D printing I have seen so far.

If anyone here ever gets the chance to come across his work like I did, like me you will be awestruck! 

Oh and last of all the big question: Would you print off patterns for anyone who supplied you a CAD file? Answer was yes and the cost very keen!

Tank

Thanks for the tip off.  That's great to hear that you can't see the lines.  Maybe a better avenue than Shapeways....   :thankyousign:

carlmt

Here's yer man's website:

http://www.chrisjward.co.uk/

I guess he would be happy to print others work - he would have to pay for that machine somehow!!!!!

I will most likely have a word with him about my 4010/6010 EMU (Austrian).

CT  :thumbsup:

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Tank on October 26, 2013, 07:16:56 PM
Thanks for the tip off.  That's great to hear that you can't see the lines.  Maybe a better avenue than Shapeways....   :thankyousign:

Yes definitely another turning point Tank, its good to see more professional people evolving into this industry providing more choice, companies like Shapeways have had the lion share of the market for quite a while now.

For what its worth when I asked Chris how much he would charge to print from a supplied CAD file, he quoted around £45, I guess also size could dictate pricing.

There was another guy at the show with a much cheaper printer (about 2k's worth), Chris & myself wandered over to his stall to inspect his display, sure enough there were many print track lines in his models, but he was into resin injection also and had some really neat work there.

Quite amazing really its another day on now and I still can't get over how good Chris's 3D printing is! As you are probably aware by some previous postings of mine I am not one to be easily impressed. ::) :-[

bridgiesimon

Thanks for adding this, not N gauge but as you say, if he will print for others, well worth keeping tabs with. I also think several of his items would be good for my other project so one pile of most appreciated from me!!!

best wishes
Simon

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Only Me on October 30, 2013, 09:48:18 AM
Hi, I have been in contact with this chap over my Class 128, whilst his costs are reasonable and his service is fast, unfortunately for one offs Shapeways is still cheaper and detail is finer in FUD.  When I'm happy with my prototype it may be worth seeing what he can print it like as a one off with a view to a production run.

Paul

Just a thought Paul why don't you contact him to see where his next show will be, that way you could inspect his work close up.

NTrain

This is the same as Shapeways offers as White Detail.....................

RussellH

Hi Guys,

When we have something to try out I'll be happy to give the chap a go and he's one major advantage - he's in the UK!

Thought it might be similar to white detail as he's got and objet printer - white detail has its uses....

Regards
Russ
No time for trains this week - playing with carnival sounds systems - Bridgwater Carnival Saturday 2nd November.
http://www.somersetcarnivals.co.uk/about.asp
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Mr Sprue

Quote from: NTrain on October 30, 2013, 06:21:46 PM
This is the same as Shapeways offers as White Detail.....................

Maybe, but now there is a bit more competition in the market place, it will be interesting to see if this new addition has a reflection on future pricing, this kind of scenario normally does.......

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations