Hornby N Gauge

Started by Claude Dreyfus, December 04, 2014, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisWV10

Quote from: Pengi on December 07, 2014, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on December 07, 2014, 06:16:21 PM
. . . then there are things like the Class 395 "Javelin"...

Roy
Yes please  :)

:thumbsup:

Given that they already do the Pendolino in OO, downsize it to N? Are they watching the progress of the kickstarter to assess demand/ viability?

How about the big GWR tanks they've done? (72xx 61xx) have they been done in N before? Mentioned in another thread - streamlined Coronation? They clearly favour steam locos over diesel/electric so could we see this translated into N?

I'm not certain of their commitment to British N Gauge through Arnold given its Continental association and Hornby's seemingly rapid dropping of their Lyddle End range.

C. :)

Fratton

My hope for hornby N gauge has to be a tweeked and shrunk version of the 4-vep (with better end gangways and the front bogies moulded the right way round)

Charlie.

Ben A

Hello all,

I understand an announcements by Hornby/Arnold will coincide with the main Hornby announcements on December 17th, though as others have noted they broke their own embargo in OO and revealed some projects (Adams Radial, Class 71) at Warley.

From a corporate point of view, it seems sensible for Hornby/Arnold to pick items that (a) they have already done research, and are of the generation for which CAD files exist and (b) would supply a demand not yet met.

Certainly the Brighton Belle fits this profile.

As far as I can tell, their "current" generation models diesel/electrics comprise the Class 08, 31, Class 50, 56, 60, HST,  2-HAL, 4-VEP, 2-BIL, Sentinel shunter, Class 395 Javelin EMU, Pendolino.

Suitable steam locomotives for a "big ticket" release might be Duke of Gloucster, P2 or King Arthur Class.  There are lots of smaller steam locos but I don't know much about them.

From the lists mentioned, I'd have thought the 50 wouldn't be most likely as all Dapol have shown so far is a CAD, though there is the rather lovely CJM version.  Any of the units is fair game, though the Pendolino requires 5 different bodyshells - making it a big gamble and a costly model - which is why we launched our Kickstarter project.

cheers

Ben A.

mark100

Quote from: Ben A on December 08, 2014, 01:13:56 AM
Hello all,

I understand an announcements by Hornby/Arnold will coincide with the main Hornby announcements on December 17th, though as others have noted they broke their own embargo in OO and revealed some projects (Adams Radial, Class 71) at Warley.

From a corporate point of view, it seems sensible for Hornby/Arnold to pick items that (a) they have already done research, and are of the generation for which CAD files exist and (b) would supply a demand not yet met.

Certainly the Brighton Belle fits this profile.

As far as I can tell, their "current" generation models diesel/electrics comprise the Class 08, 31, Class 50, 56, 60, HST,  2-HAL, 4-VEP, 2-BIL, Sentinel shunter, Class 395 Javelin EMU, Pendolino.

Suitable steam locomotives for a "big ticket" release might be Duke of Gloucster, P2 or King Arthur Class.  There are lots of smaller steam locos but I don't know much about them.

From the lists mentioned, I'd have thought the 50 wouldn't be most likely as all Dapol have shown so far is a CAD, though there is the rather lovely CJM version.  Any of the units is fair game, though the Pendolino requires 5 different bodyshells - making it a big gamble and a costly model - which is why we launched our Kickstarter project.

cheers

Ben A.
I was going to say Class 50 to, but would it have opening cab doors like the OO gauge model?

Mark
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Ollie3440

Morning all,

An interesting but welcome announcement that Hornby will be doing more N. I for one can think of many locos in their OO catalogue that I would welcome on Sheaf!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Brighton Belle marketed as the potential for a range of iconic trains? If so then complete trains would appear to be where they are going. I would have thought this would put is in a DMU/EMU situation and given their current roster of Units (Pendolino, Javelin, 2-Bil, 2-Hal, 4-Vep) I would have thought the modern units would be the more likely. Pendolino more so given the Javelin never seemed to sell that well.

Something steamy would be most welcome! But if they are going for 'iconic' then one of Hornby's favourite three could be where they are going next. These top three being Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Princess Elizabeth. Question is that if they go down the steam route would they produce them as stand alone locos or as a 'complete train' with stock? If the later then the only stock in their range that isn't currently readily available in N is the Pullman cars, but then are any of the above three locos considered iconic with a rake of Pullmans?

Of course there are many other items in their range that could be produced as stand alone locos as they are not currently planned for N. 42xx, 52xx, 72xx, King Arthur, King, O1, Sentinel, P2, Class 71, Adams Radial to name a fair few. Having said that what is to stop them competing with other products either already announced or available? Class 50, Schools for example have both been announced by Dail but very little progress has been shown, and when was the last update from our friends in Chirk? Same goes for Farish as there is no news on their castle but Hornby do have a pretty decent OO one to work from. Even smaller suppliers have locos that could be upgraded as if Hornby did a T9 then one would be on the shopping list, where as a Union Mills one isn't.

So there is plenty to think about. My current thinking is that the Pendolino seems the most likely if we are assuming it'll be something shrunk down. So bring on December 17th :D

Cheers,

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Karhedron

AFAIK, Arnold tends to be associated with iconic trains. The BB fits neatly in this category. To my mind, things like a Pendolino, or Javelin fit in this niche much better than stand-alone steam engines (much as I would like a GWR 2-8-0 for china clay work ;) ).

I agree that the big problem is that many of the iconic trains in Hornby's 00 rang have been done in N gauge already. The HST for diesels and an A4 for steam would have been obvious choices otherwise.

We will have to wait and see for another week I guess. I hope there is something that will fit my own (western) niche but anything that increases the N gauge world will be welcome. The other possibility that springs to mind might be shrinks of their very successful Pullman coaches. These are iconic and have sold well in 00. Also, there is little risk of Farish or Dapol doing them in the near future.

Interesting times!  :D
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MikeDunn

Quote from: Ollie3440 on December 08, 2014, 06:37:51 AM
Something steamy would be most welcome! But if they are going for 'iconic' then one of Hornby's favourite three could be where they are going next. These top three being Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Princess Elizabeth.

Given their recent track record with Lizzie - I doubt it !!!

For those who don't know ... a couple of years back, they did a big recording session with her, and promised to release the sounds on Lizzie - and promptly did that to one of the sister engines (maybe two now ?) ...  Given Lizzie's recent history (the Jubilee etc), there was a major opportunity totally ignored ...  Oh well, maybe next year now she's finished the overhaul.

Pengi

It is possible that Hornby/Arnold are monitoring the kickstarter project however the number of pledges might not translate directly into buyers if Hornby released the Pendolino. For example there is at least one kettle fan that would have not considered buying a multicoloured worm but is doing to to help the project  :thankyousign: Compare with the Brighton Belle which did not seem to attract the same sort of interest from the kettle fans.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Karhedron

That is very true but conversely, there might be people who would be happy to buy a RTR train off the shelf but who are cautious of using Kickstarter.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

woodbury22uk

I had an email exchange with one of the Hornby design people after the Warley show to provide some photos of the Adams Radial that they are planning in 00 gauge. Anyway I made a throwaway comment about an Arnold Pendolino,which did not elicit a denial but did but produce a comment acknowledging the current Kickstarter.

A few years back Mikado trains in France planned an X73900 SNCF railcar. Specific questions were asked of Arnold at the time which did not generate any indication that they were planning that type of railcar, although it was already in the H0 Jouef range. The Mikado model went on to be a great success despite its compromised Japanese chassis, and the Arnold version which arrived much later did not achieve the same level in France, with a couple of liveries cancelled altogether for lack of orders. There are regularly remaindered SNCF/DB versions available on the continent. Good running chassis but with a couple of vulnerable soldered connections which sometimes give way, for anyone looking for a long low chassis.

I think we would be more likely to see a Eurostar Velaro in 1/160 scale to match the Kato original Eurostar, rather than a Southern EMU , Javelin, Pendolino or any Grouping steam train in 1/148. I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but a modern train running in 3 or 4 European countries including the UK is likely to make better business sense for Arnold even in 1/160 scale.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Karhedron

The Velaro is an interesting possibility although the existence of an HO model in Fleischmann's range makes me think that an N gauge version might be more likely from them.

TheMetropolitanline

What I noticed on the Hornby website last night, if you click on the international tab you will see that Hornby through Arnold are investing heavily in n gauge/scale.
They are producing European and American both diesel and steam. Now I know most of you are interested in British but the way I see this, is they can see a huge market in N gauge/scale as a way to go with there business as properties/homes become smaller and as N becomes more and more popular.
Personally I am excited by this as recently I have been buying American and European locomotives as the quality is much higher than the experience I have had with Dapol and farish.
I purchased the 5 car brighton belle and the quality as far as I can see is comparable with broadway limited and my athearn big boy.  Just my 2 pennies worth. Fineboy

red_death

We know that there will be more British N, so while we might get a 1:160 Velaro I'd be surprised if that was it.

Cheers, Mike

Chetcombe

Quote from: Only Me on December 08, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
As mentioned a few months back there may be a Re-emergence of Lyddle End in 2015

Well that would be appreciated as well
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Strangely, would be more excited about the reappearance of Lyddle End than I would be a new locomotive! But hey, a lot of folk think me strange anyway.  :confused1:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations