The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Quote from: themadhippy on September 26, 2020, 10:23:11 PM
The common denominator across most problems is open reach, only time i've had connection issues was down to faulty infrastructure,internet would drop out if the phone rang or it was raining.4 attempts later they managed to trace the fault to the cable from my flat to the cabinet,but managed to blow my modem in the process.

Does not surprise me in the least.

Mrs Skyline used to work for a small firm who was sub-contracted by the aforementioned Beardy-Man Broadband to install fibre / non-fibre gubbins to properties.

The list of things that could have a negative impact on its performance if the infrastructure is less than perfect reads like a bad joke about British Rail...wrong leaves, wrong temperature etc etc

Skyline2uk

stevewalker

We recently had a problem with our landline phones not ringing. Openreach sent someone out, who (while I was not there) removed our filtered faceplate from the master socket, linked the connections to send the unfiltered signal to the first slave socket, replaced that with a filtered master socket and fed the filtered signal back to the connections at the master socket - all because he did not know the make of faceplate, did not understand the connections and thought that it was incorrect. Arriving home, I showed him the manufacturers datasheet for our faceplate and that the original connections were correct, but he refused to spend the time to put it back correctly. The fault was eventually traced to the exchange.

Newportnobby

Quote from: lil chris on September 26, 2020, 08:49:42 PM
That story Mick @Newportnobby has expanded, Piers Morgan has bought the couple a new Tv. The fault is still there openreach was mistaken the fault was not caused by their tv afterall.

@lil chris
Good to see Pierced Organ wasting his money, Chris. At least something good came out of it then :D

The Q

We're waiting for open reach Now..
You may wonder how I'm sending this.. It is over a land line.. But the line that's broken goes over our garden through between a big oak trees branches...

Or at least it did until several heathy branches broke off in the storm. One was over 18inches in diameter pining the mains cable down,  and snapping the phone cable to next door.
We await a visit by an assessor who will check the line for safety,  and then organise it's repair.  Quite what they are worried about safety wise with a 50Volt signal. I'm not too sure.
Meanwhile UK power network men have spent 2hours clearing the branches and the mains cable is back where it should be.
As an aside we've lost 6 roof tiles from the leading edge of the roof.  That's also taken the guttering from the front of the house.. The biggest problem will be matching the ancient tiles...

dannyboy

My internet is via a wi-fi modem from Three. On both Wednesday and Thursday of last week, the internet went off from about 10am to 3pm, trouble is, my mobile 'phone went off as well. I am with Tesco mobile for the 'phone and Tesco use o2 as their carrier, so why should a fault on one affect the other?  ???. Today, at about 3pm, the internet went off again - so did my mobile  >:(. So I'm thinking, maybe the 'phone is using the wi-fi from Three. I don't know exactly how these things connect with each other, so I spent an hour altering all sorts of connections on the 'phone, without result. A short time later, the 'phone lets me connect to the internet, so I searched for a problem with Three and found that there were over 2000 mentions of no service this afternoon from Three and it looks like it was a national outage. Anyway, it is now back up and running, albeit a bit patchy and slow, but can any of you people in the know explain why the internet on the mobile 'phone, provided by one company can be affected by an outage on another companies system, or is it (too much of) a coincidence?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

themadhippy

unless things have changed since 2014 three own O2  in eire
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

Oh  :censored:, we're doomed then!  :). Thanks for that bit of information @themadhippy   :thumbsup:
David.

themadhippy

Dont worry its only going to get worse,all 4 operators have agreed to share there  toys,especially in rural areas. to  speed up the  deployment of new technology.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

It would help if they got the old technology sorted out. We had the land line taken out a couple of years ago, partly because of the number of times it 'broke', (it was surprising how often the engineer would come along after a reported break in the line and tell me that the fault was because somebody had cut through the wire whilst trimming the hedges!). Another reason was because an engineer, who had called to survey the house with a view to installing broadband just laughed at me, saying I had no chance!
David.

The Q

We had something similar when a farmer cut a new entrance to a field and broke the telephone cable buried just 6 inches under the verge...

We were told we had no chance of getting broadband as we were over 5 miles from the exchange.. Then they dug a hole in the road for 4 of those 5 miles and put a repeater box in the next village, and a mode point about half a mile away..
Now we get 27Mbs :claphappy: only 40K before..

never give up!!

dannyboy

Quote from: The Q on September 28, 2020, 11:09:12 AM

never give up!!

I do not think I will see it in my lifetime  :no:. We are talking rural Ireland here! My house is 12 miles from the nearest exchange, my 'drive', (read track across a farmers field, although we shared the cost of having in covered in tar a few years ago  :)), is a quarter of mile to the lane, which is single track. We then have another quarter of a mile one way to one road and a mile and a quarter the other way to a road and those roads are only just wide enough for two cars to pass in parts. Mind you, I do live in a very rural but beautiful part of Ireland, so I can't have everything.  ;)
David.

Newportnobby

Unbelieveable scenes of people partying in Liverpool last night. They either think it can't happen to them or maybe the end of the world is nigh. Either way - totally moronic and they do their city no favours :veryangry2:

Trainfish

I have absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever. They need to be reminded that it is events like this which have caused the lockdown in the first place. I doubt they will listen/care/understand (detlete as appropriate) though unless we send in the army.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

I know I have said this before but I will say it again - I realise that I am over simplifying things, but there should be a total lock down, (with a few exceptions), and the rules should be mandatory, backed up by tough Policing, using the Army where necessary.  Advice means nothing if people take no heed.
David.

Trainfish

I 100% agree. I'm sure Boris hinted at using the army several weeks ago and I believe that now is the time to do so somewhere like Liverpoo if they don't behave. This will also act as a warning to other areas as to what will happen if they don't put their sensible heads on. The other option of course is water cannon, who wants to be hit with that on a cold October, November, December evening?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations