New run of the Dapol 9F announced

Started by N_GaugeModeller, May 18, 2021, 01:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

Quote from: Dr Al on May 19, 2021, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on May 19, 2021, 05:58:28 PM
I am pretty sure the chassis was plastic and often went banana shaped, but I also recall that in a Dapol catalogue it erroneously referred to them having metal chassis sometime later and I wonder if it is just a lift and drop of the spec that was there.

Yes, correct.

The batches were as follows:

Batch 1 - wide deep flanged wheels, no spring bogie, missing front pickups (also promised in the pre-release adverts), Tomix style motor, black rods.
Batch 2 - finer profile wheels, sprung front bogie, front driver pickups, Tomix style motor, black rods
Batch 3 onwards - finer profile wheels, sprung front bogie, front driver pickups, super creep motor, gunmetal rods.

All had plastic chassis, and the later batch 3+ models are more variable, I've seen a number with badly bowed chassis so that they see-saw on central drivers. Can be corrected, but shows that either the tooling had wear or those batches weren't well moulded. One to watch out for on new runs.

I've seen no evidence of any weight difference between batches, though haven't honestly been looking for it.

Cheers,
Alan

the one ive got is the first gen--i fitted the front pony spring--very fiddly job that was.  I hadnt noticed the deep flanges.  It does run smoothly and much quieter than 28xx, manor  and grange.

the main thing to me is the price!  if it does now have a metal chassis it could be a winner.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

N_GaugeModeller

I suspect at that price, (Farish take note) they will sell Very well indeed.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Newportnobby

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on May 18, 2021, 03:03:08 PM

I was hoping that they would upgrade to loco-drive and/or a Crosti version

Methinks a Crosti would involve new tooling and Dapol seem to be avoiding that in N, relying instead on re-releases or new liveries

Bealman

If they were going to do it accurately, it would most definitely require major retooling, both above and below the running board.

The prototype was not long lived, or particularly successful, anyway.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on May 18, 2021, 03:03:08 PM
I was hoping that they would upgrade to loco-drive... it runs OK but I still dislike the Dapol drive-shaft system.

It already is loco-drive, not tender-drive.  It's a shame Dapol's implementation of shaft-drive is a bit clunky and obvious,  every time I look at mine I wonder why the rear shaft pocket has to be so large and visible?

Other brands I own have managed shaft drive much more neatly - and they'll go round 9" radius curves :)   Done properly it allows maximum weight over the drive wheels (more weight than having a motor in the loco), a decent powerful motor in the tender and room for DCC gubbins.

This is a Roco model from the 1980s, much neater shaft drive just by having the pocket further back in the tender

This is a Hobbytrain (Kato) model also from the 1980s, you can see the pocket but it's smaller than the Dapol version

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bigmac

i had to smile-just now-i was slowly reversing my 9f into the left curve track of a peco 55 medium radius point; halfway through the loco got very tired and fell completely off the track--onto its side and lay there dead. None of my 50+ other locos do this.

Roy L S

Quote from: Bealman on May 20, 2021, 09:44:48 AM
If they were going to do it accurately, it would most definitely require major retooling, both above and below the running board.

I would absolutely challenge the last point. That the locos were not long lived was not for reason of any problem with them it was due to the intervention and acceleration of the Modernisation Plan. The locos had plenty of life left in them and had there been a different policy would have lasted in traffic for many more years.

It was also arguably amongst the most successful heavy freight designs, being well regarded by drivers, easier to maintain, prepare and dispose of than older designs and capable of hauling very heavy trains. It also had a remarkable turn of speed, reputedly when "borrowed" for passenger trains on the Great Central being flailed along at near 90mph - until the authorities got wind.

The loco is deserving of a complete retool, the Dapol one originates from 2006/7 and in spite of some improvements and tweaks over the years is not close to current "state of the art". This, along with the tooling already having been amortised explains a lot of the price differential between it and say the new Farish 8F - about £35 on RRP - the Farish loco is most certainly worth the extra, it is in a totally different league in terms of specification and quality.

Roy

NGS-PO

Quote from: Roy L S on May 20, 2021, 06:49:40 PM

I would absolutely challenge the last point. That the locos were not long lived was not for reason of any problem with them it was due to the intervention and acceleration of the Modernisation Plan. The locos had plenty of life left in them and had there been a different policy would have lasted in traffic for many more years.

It was also arguably amongst the most successful heavy freight designs, being well regarded by drivers, easier to maintain, prepare and dispose of than older designs and capable of hauling very heavy trains. It also had a remarkable turn of speed, reputedly when "borrowed" for passenger trains on the Great Central being flailed along at near 90mph - until the authorities got wind.

The loco is deserving of a complete retool, the Dapol one originates from 2006/7 and in spite of some improvements and tweaks over the years is not close to current "state of the art". This, along with the tooling already having been amortised explains a lot of the price differential between it and say the new Farish 8F - about £35 on RRP - the Farish loco is most certainly worth the extra, it is in a totally different league in terms of specification and quality.

Roy

I think George is referring to the unsuccessful nature of the Crosti modified 9Fs and not the 9F class as a whole.

Best

Scott
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Newportnobby

Agreed. Sorry, Roy, but I think you have the wrong interpretation of what George was saying.
All you say about the 9F I agree with, too.
I used to love them clanking through Wolverton with what seemed like endless freight wagons.

Bigmac

when i can buy one of this new batch--if it could only run and pull as well as it looks--it will be up there as one of my best locos.

Roy L S

Quote from: NGS-PO on May 20, 2021, 08:29:32 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on May 20, 2021, 06:49:40 PM

Roy

I think George is referring to the unsuccessful nature of the Crosti modified 9Fs and not the 9F class as a whole.

Best

Scott

Thanks Gents.

George my apologies, my misunderstanding. yes, the Crosti 9F I think can best be described as an experiment demonstrating the difference between a theory and what a result is in practice - not especially successful.

Kind Regards

Roy

Bealman

Yes, I was referring only to the Crosti one.

However, I do agree that the 9Fs were awesome locomotives that were victims of the dieselisation plan.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bigmac

9Fs--happy days..bunking Saltley shed in birmingham.

Paddy

Hi Folks,

So to date the Dapol 9Fs have all had plastic chassis?  Dapol seem to be saying that this batch has been upgraded to have a new metal chassis - correct?  Has anyone been able to confirm this with Dapol?

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Newportnobby

Quote from: Paddy on May 21, 2021, 09:42:47 AM
So to date the Dapol 9Fs have all had plastic chassis?  Dapol seem to be saying that this batch has been upgraded to have a new metal chassis - correct?  Has anyone been able to confirm this with Dapol?

Have posed the question to Joel on the Dapol Digest, Paddy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations