what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

This afternoon I have been constructing a grounded van body from the leftovers of at least 3 different kits. Sides from one kit, ends from a Mogo kit. Floor from something else and roof from possibly the same as the sides.

I have also been looking at some old D and M coaches considering the best way of restoring the bodies. The chassis are rubbish, I wonder if anyone ever got these to run? I have a stock of Stove R chassis for this purpose. These will need shortening and modifying to make them work on these coaches. The weights will certainly not be needed as the coach bodies are white metal and accordingly very very heavy. Not sure what loco will be able to haul them.

As can be seen these are rather crude models that do not match any known prototype but they have a certain charm. I do have a couple more boxed examples waiting as well. 

joe cassidy

A Union Mills loco is your best bet for maximum haulage capacity

Maurice

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/135/8695-310823210754.jpeg

Working on motive power. I have moved my workbench to the dining room table. I really need to get organized. On the newspaper/ painting area is a 4-wheel center cab diesel getting it's ends painted yellow. On the cutting mat is a two truck Bo-Bo diesel. Both are 3D printed bodies on Kato chassis. Both bodies were spray painted in my spray booth, but I am adding yellow by hand. The bodies came from Budget Model Railways. The center cab uses the chassis that Kato used on their original Pocket Line Center Cab Electric switcher (with catenary). They recently updated the chassis and this body will not fit on the new one. Fortunately, I was able to find an old one. The Bo-Bo is giving me problems. The buffers for the ends are supposed to attach to the chassis but that doesn't leave enough room for the body. I found that the chassis needs some extra weight. I added 1 ounce of lead weights and it runs great now. Oh, and the plastic card on the cutting mat is for a station platform I am scratch-building. Cheers. Maurice

Trainfish

Building a bridge

Should be finished by Christmas
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 01, 2023, 09:03:48 AMSo you say, but which Christmas?
At my age, such things are important :laugh:

I'm not saying but please try to be around will you?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Kris

More progress has been made on the 6 wheeled coaches.

keithboddey

Laying 4 tracks, I am modelling modern day Newport to Cardiff

Newportnobby

Quote from: keithboddey on September 03, 2023, 09:04:39 PMLaying 4 tracks, I am modelling modern day Newport to Cardiff

Good grief! :o  Just how much space will that take? ;)

crewearpley40

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 03, 2023, 09:47:19 PM
Quote from: keithboddey on September 03, 2023, 09:04:39 PMLaying 4 tracks, I am modelling modern day Newport to Cardiff

does that include the bridge over the Usk? At Newport plus the Shrewsbury lunes and various branches in ams around cardiff?

Trainfish

Well it's only 13 miles as the crow flies so roughly 141.3612837837838 metres in 1:148 by my calculations.
John

<*))))><

Foxhound

Quote from: Trainfish on September 03, 2023, 11:23:33 PM

Well it's only 13 miles as the crow flies so roughly 141.3612837837838 metres in 1:148 by my calculations.
11.75 miles by rail, as many a basher's move book will attest from the early-mid 80s. ;)  :claphappy:
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Foxhound

Kitbashed two Faller bridges over the weekend, to create one masterpiece. My good lady did the painting....

Rob and Becky (artistic director)

crewearpley40

Quote from: Foxhound on September 04, 2023, 01:19:35 PM
Quote from: Trainfish on September 03, 2023, 11:23:33 PM

11.75 miles by rail, as many a basher's move book will attest from the early-mid 80s. ;)  :claphappy:
which period Keith?

Plenty of steel , coal, iron ore , oil freight , HSTs, relief passenger and local dmu services

Timbo66

Finished ballasting. Now for the joys of putting the scatter down, a part I really enjoy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations