what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greygreaser

We'll spotted chaps
The right hand track got 'damaged' when my arthritic hand slipped whilst trying to push in a track pin - sadly it was being traversed successfully before the attempt with the track pin
I've worked out how to effect a simple repair
The kink in the boardwalk will fit round a ground signal - it's a contrivance to deflect the the viewer from a straight line - not the end of the world to make a straight one later if it looks naff
Thanks for taking an interest and posting comments
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Trainfish

There will soon be a Concorde performing a flypast above my flying museum.

And here's a comparison of size with a partly built Chinook which will be static. Both are 1:144

EDIT: I should add that I got a friend to build these  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Platy767

After having the layout in storage since April, (doing house floor sanding and refinishing, and garage storage rearrangements) I finally managed to play trains today.

The layout resides in the garage, and now has a more semi-permanent position, being mounted off the garage/house wall and fitted with 2 legs with adjustable feet on the other end.

Storage had resulted in a point motor switch being broken off the top of the solenoid, but this was repaired. A rub over with a track rubber and cleaning solution and it was trains away. It isn't meant to be a GWR BLT, but I was checking clearance around the far curve, where the layout meets the house, and I was using an autocoach, my longest carriage. Pulled and propelled in turn by both a 94XX and a 45XX showed there was plenty of clearance. The NSWGR CPH 42' Railmotor came out for a run as well. Just a short running session, but still some fun.

Mark

Foxhound

Been really busy at work so haven't posted much. We had some leave earlier in the month and Becky and I decided to have a crack at improving the running of the layout (tracklaying not as good as it could have been), and adding some more interest.
We have been adding some new buildings, latest being Metcalfe's Ramshackle Workshop.

Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Greygreaser

That's a delightful building is it a new addition to the Metcalfe range?
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Foxhound

Quote from: Greygreaser on October 17, 2022, 01:44:49 PM
That's a delightful building is it a new addition to the Metcalfe range?

Yes, it's not been out long. Quick to build too.

Southerngooner

I'm not actually working on Brickmakers Lane but I have been busy getting it ready for Steve Wright to take it away and wire it for me. I've made some travelling frames and tested them out yesterday. I'm so pleased he offered to do the wiring as I'm hopeless with electrics while he is most definitely not! The wiring includes making all control panels and power boxes, so I should get a working layout for Xmas. In return I'm designing and making him some kits from scratch on the Cricut to make the larger buildings on James Street quayside, so all in all a good trade!

Dave

Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Foxhound

Right now, regretting using flexi and wishing I had stuck to Setrack (*cue gasps of horror*), as a drop in temperature of 6 degrees has seen shrinkage of 3mm in some sections, and therefore widening of joints in several places on the layout, which has caused havoc. It was running beautifully too.  :(

port perran

Quote from: Foxhound on November 04, 2022, 02:02:13 PM
Right now, regretting using flexi and wishing I had stuck to Setrack (*cue gasps of horror*), as a drop in temperature of 6 degrees has seen shrinkage of 3mm in some sections, and therefore widening of joints in several places on the layout, which has caused havoc. It was running beautifully too.  :(
A few more pints of that dark North Cornish stout and you won't notice.  :beers:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bob Tidbury

Yes the extreme heat had the opposite with track expanding and joining isolated sections so the gaps were made a tad bigger now with the sudden drop in temperature I have the same problem as you gaps too big .
In my case thats the price I have to pay for having a 20ft x8ft layout in a shed which although insulated get very hot in the summer and cold in the winter .
So huge fans and windows open in the summer ,Windows shut and two gas fires on in the winter  though with the cost of gas bottles they will  only go on if I have visitors this year .
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

Get yourself some good thermals - vest/knickers/socks Bob!  :). Whenever I went to visit my late Mum anywhere near winter, (September to April  ::)), I always had to come away with at least one thermal item!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

chrism

What am I doing on my layouts?  Absolutely beggar all.

Haven't got time to do owt on the layouts, I'm still working my way through painting/lining/lettering and finishing off all the coaches I've printed  :o

Finished the lining/lettering on one side of all the second batch of LMS ones tonight. I'll varnish those sides tomorrow then I can do the lining/lettering on the other sides.

In between times, I'm working on the Furness Railway ones. All seven (and the railcar/trailer) have had the white coat for the upper panels and the first four have had the lower sides cleaned up a bit (to smooth the printing stepped effect somewhat) and have had the lower sides and ends painted blue. When I've done the same to the rest I'll have the fun job of picking out all the beading around the upper panels and the window frames in blue, and the droplights in red.

There are definitely times when I wish I'd chosen to work in a larger scale  :smiley-laughing:

In any other odd between times I have another project I'm working on for the printer - but that will not require any fancy painting nor, phew, lining  ;)

Firstone18

I have started on scenic work on my layout - not my favourite nor my best skill area!
I am in awe of many who build from scratch, particularly when specific structures are the subject.
At present I am building Metcalfe kits which were purchased many years ago, and I'm getting better with each one, I think!
I've never tackled the landscaping side of scenery but now I have joined a club (Silver Fox) I have members I can ask for help, and things like a static applicator I can borrow.
I'll be fitting a sound decoder to my Deltic soon as it is (allegedly) a straightforward fit when using the Zimo MX660 decoder and no cutting or milling of the chassis is needed.
Any other forum members near Buckingham? if so let me know.
Cheers
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Foxhound

Quote from: port perran on November 04, 2022, 04:26:01 PM
Quote from: Foxhound on November 04, 2022, 02:02:13 PM
A few more pints of that dark North Cornish stout and you won't notice.  :beers:

A few more pints of that and I won't be able to find the layout!  :beers: :smiley-laughing:

Foxhound

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on November 04, 2022, 04:41:56 PM
Yes the extreme heat had the opposite with track expanding and joining isolated sections so the gaps were made a tad bigger now with the sudden drop in temperature I have the same problem as you gaps too big .
In my case thats the price I have to pay for having a 20ft x8ft layout in a shed which although insulated get very hot in the summer and cold in the winter .
So huge fans and windows open in the summer ,Windows shut and two gas fires on in the winter  though with the cost of gas bottles they will  only go on if I have visitors this year .
Bob Tidbury
The extreme heat in the summer caused buckling and bending to the extent that I had to bin some track and nearly considered mothballing the layout in my frustration. My layout is a horseshoe shape, 8'x10'x9', 2ft deep. I can't replace the track with Kato Unitrack because the curves won't fit the beautifully crafted scenic embankments Rebecca has made and decorated, and I don't think you can use it with Faller plastic bridge kits either - as I have three of these and they're substantial, that's also an issue.
It's in a partially insulated block built and rendered garage. There's heat for in the winter (along with coats, hats and boots!), and I open the door in the summer when we're in there. Can't cut a window aperture sadly.
The plan was to go up into the loft when we have that converted, but Trussonomics has put that on the backburner indefinitely, as our mortgage deal expires next October and Lord alone knows what it will go up to then even without bunging a £35K loft on top.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations