what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASteve

If there's any better reason for the restoration project on Beal & Castle Eden, I can't think of it.

Well done, George.  :beers:

Brian taylor

At the moment I am building the baseboards for a 12ft by 5ft layout and continually changing the design of the layout as I keep getting over-excited at what I can build on that space in N gauge lol.

AndyRA

Another weekend keeping the rails clean by running the trains :NGaugersRule:

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

crewearpley40

Fabulous to have a running session andy. Great photos and stock as always. Chris

LASteve

Always great to see your pictures. Nothing more therapeutic than sitting back and watching the trains go by.

Brian taylor

Wow, am really impressed by those pictures, wanting to get my setup running more than ever now but know it will be a good while yet before I'm even close lol.

KevTheBusDriver

TODAY... I've been installing a new pcb to control 2off 3-aspect signals (WL101 DOWN SLOW & WL100 DOWN FAST). The pcb was designed and built by myself - there are 9 relays on this board! WL100 protects the crossover DF-DS so will have a 'feather'. I stopped tonight at 21:15 having got WL101 working. WL100 awaits tomorrow...

This board permits automatic running; isolator sections, reed switches for cancel and autoclear, override with shunt signals.

Once this lot is working I'll put a video on YouTube... kevthbusdriver

Newportnobby

Clever stuff which doth completely bypass all my understanding, but I've never understood electrickery.
'Tis a black art and the work of Satan :uneasy:

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 23, 2021, 09:14:32 AM
Clever stuff which doth completely bypass all my understanding,

I am okay when it comes to getting power from A to B, (or even C), via switches, even DPDT, but that is about my limit! PCBs, diodes, relays and the like -  :no:.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

port perran

Very impressive work but waaaaaay beyond my technical understanding. Like others electrickery is, to me, a black art.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

KevTheBusDriver

Well, the board took most of my spare time on Tuesday to install, but it's all working and I manged (eventually) to put a descriptive video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vplfsR-77lw

The electrics aren't that complicated - you really only have to know how a relay works and how a transistor can be wired 'as a switch'. Although it took a week to design & build, this board hasn't cost more than about £15 in parts. What's next? Maybe signals WL102/103 (they are are on a gantry...).

PGN

Playing trains.

Or, as I explain to my wife ... it's a (scenic) test track, so I'm testing things  :bounce:
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

KevTheBusDriver

Sunday 12 Dec 2021...
install & wire new 4-aspect signal gantry at Pleck Junction;
Here's the original 3-apect version dating from about 1985...

The 3-aspect junction signal (WL103) was wired to only show Y when 'off' if the diverging route was set. In order for the 4-aspect version to 'look' at the correct signals ahead, it needed a 'router':

The new signals also required a new control board...

The new gantry on the bench:

And does it all work? See the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VGkPXcvzk

Having spent at least 4 hours underneath Pleck Junction this weekend, I'm running trains now!

Trainfish

I fitted just over 5 metres of backboards over the weekend. Next I have to fit just over 5 metres of backscenes and lots of countryside.

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations