For those amongst us who remember:- "When I was a boy"!

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 09, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Maybe he dropped the maths because he was drinking the meths. Serves him right then  :no:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Michael Shillabeer

My Mamod never burnt anything, but I did burn my bedroom carpet with a soldering iron.

This was before a power drill slipped and tore a strip out of the carpet!

Merry Christmas
Michael

Geoff

I remember my first Cricket Bat I had to use Linseed Oil on the bat before I was allowed to use it.
I remember the first ball I received it hit me on the elbow and did it hurt.
I remember the telling off I got for letting it hit me, the teacher told me I need to move fast when a ball comes at you at 60 mph I never saw the thing, I soon took to football that ball never hurt me.
Geoff

Agrippa

Seeing the Mamod incident mentioned reminded me of something I saw years ago
on Opportunity Knocks with the cheesey Hughie Green, shown live I think.
The contestants usually had a friend to introduce them and one old geezer brought
along a live steam engine which he set off moving across the table. Hughie Green
thought it would fall off so grabbed it, but he must have got hold of the boiler
or other red hot section and burnt his hand. The Effin and Blindin from Hughie was
not suitable for an early evening show.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

railsquid

Quote from: Agrippa on December 15, 2014, 12:10:28 AM
When I were a lad  , for Xmas me parents bought me a pair of pit
boots so I could start the 3 am  shift properly equipped.
They also gave me a raw potato for me lunch. I were reet spoiled
in them days .....but things were hard , many a time I missed me
copy of The Tatler....

You think you had it hard? When I were a little'un we only had three Yorkshiremen in our four Yorkshiremen sketches, but we got by.

Agrippa

That's nothing, we were so poor our servants had to go without their Xmas dinner....

railsquid

Quote from: Agrippa on December 15, 2014, 01:51:05 PM
That's nothing, we were so poor our servants had to go without their Xmas dinner....
We were so poor our servants were our Christmas dinner.

Agrippa

joe cassidy

So far no one has mentioned Action Man.

I asked Santa for Action Man.

I got - Tommy Gun  :(

I always assumed that Santa was a bit hard up that year and Tommy Gun was cheaper.

In spite of my initial disappointment I came to appreciate TG because he was British, and so had British uniforms (including the Guards dress uniform) and weapons (FN rifle and Sterling sub-machine gun).

My Mum knitted a jumper for him (green of course).

I remember I had a "Commando" set that included a blow-up rubber dinghy and a Carl Gustav rocket launcher that fired a grappling hook.

Happy days !

Joe

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 16, 2014, 07:15:24 PM

In spite of my initial disappointment I came to appreciate TG because he was British, and so had British uniforms (including the Guards dress uniform) and weapons (FN rifle and Sterling sub-machine gun).

Sorry, Joe, but the FN rifle is Belgian made as far as I know.

Jack

Quote from: newportnobby on December 16, 2014, 09:41:15 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on December 16, 2014, 07:15:24 PM

Sorry, Joe, but the FN rifle is Belgian made as far as I know.

Correct! Both Action Man and Tommy Gun  both had 7.62 SLRs, well my four Action Man and one talking Action Man Commander did, as well as an array of other weapons,"toys" and uniforms/outfits. I think my Mum still has them hidden away somewhere, not good for a 59 yr old  :-[
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Komata

Does anyone remember the 'Viewmaster' stereoscopes (and their reels) ; especially those made of a brown plastic / bakelite material?  Magic!  They are still available it seems, although the titles have changed with time.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Ditape

Quote from: Komata on December 16, 2014, 10:11:46 PM
Does anyone remember the 'Viewmaster' stereoscopes (and their reels) ; especially those made of a brown plastic / bakelite material?  Magic!  They are still available it seems, although the titles have changed with time.
i remember them well I tried one at the local camera shop and loved it and every time I went past the shop I would stop and dream of owning one but unfortunately no one took the hint.
Diane Tape

Jerry Howlett

I had a red? one but it didn't have a wheel just a cardboard strip with 2 pictures that you viewed through the plastic gizmo do dah. I DO remember that one of the pictures I had was of the Blue Pullman.... The nearest I think I will ever get to owning one !!!

Oh and SPANGLES who remembers the Old English ones ?  A black packet I think.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 18, 2014, 03:57:12 PM
I had a red? one but it didn't have a wheel just a cardboard strip with 2 pictures that you viewed through the plastic gizmo do dah. I DO remember that one of the pictures I had was of the Blue Pullman.... The nearest I think I will ever get to owning one !!!

Oh and SPANGLES who remembers the Old English ones ?  A black packet I think.

Jerry

I think the 'stereo' viewer that Jerry is referring to came free with cereal packets as did the cardboard strip with 2 pics. I seem to remember mainly pics of animals such as elephants, goats, wallabies, giraffes and the like :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations