The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatso

1O Days night mare has started with the WORLD ARMS FAIR being right on my door step every two years this year the police presents is a lot and officer with guns walking around and on the river gun boats one of the things we have live with here London be so near to the EXCEL  my lady been stop 5 times in 3 days even thou she has a passing stating we live here  I guess  they have to have somewhere and we got lucky  lol.mike
Always looking on the bright side of life

Newportnobby

Well, at least you should feel a bit safer with armed police everywhere - providing they don't start nicking things :laugh:

REGP

Quote from: fatso on September 15, 2015, 10:01:06 AM
1O Days night mare has started with the WORLD ARMS FAIR being right on my door step every two years this year the police presents is a lot and officer with guns walking around and on the river gun boats one of the things we have live with here London be so near to the EXCEL  my lady been stop 5 times in 3 days even thou she has a passing stating we live here  I guess  they have to have somewhere and we got lucky  lol.mike

A mate and I decided to have a look at the small naval ships tied up outside the EXCEL Centre during the last exhibition. So we went up on the high pedestrian bridge over the dock and there I was taking photos of the ships when I heard "excuse me sir  (in deep brown voice ) what are you doing up here".

Turned round to find 5 armed coppers behind me,  it turns out the bridge was closed as a security precaution and we had walked straight through their security cordon without realising it.

Although we had a laugh about I with them they still insisted we left.

Ray

fatso

Quote from: REGP on September 15, 2015, 10:25:18 AM

A mate and I decided to have a look at the small naval ships tied up outside the EXCEL Centre during the last exhibition. So we went up on the high pedestrian bridge over the dock and there I was taking photos of the ships when I heard "excuse me sir  (in deep brown voice ) what are you doing up here".

Turned round to find 5 armed coppers behind me,  it turns out the bridge was closed as a security precaution and we had walked straight through their security cordon without realising it.

Ray

Quote from: REGP on September 15, 2015, 10:25:18 AM

That bridge is only 5mins walk from my front door .mike

Ray
Always looking on the bright side of life

Skyline2uk

I am thinking my next project will be making a tiny doll model for each of the family we brought this house from......and impale them all on a spiky thing....... :veryangry: :censored:

Just had an attempted fitting of our new oven.

Shut off gas, dis-connected old oven.

Dis-connected electricity from old oven.

Clever looking box of tricks attached to power supply from wall....BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP  :( :worried: :(

"Polarity Warning"  :goggleeyes:

Much swearing from bloke trying to fit oven. Checks power switch in wall (which we have had replaced), all looks / seems fine.

Checks fuse board, same. Conclusion? "Maybe a cross connection at some point between fuse box and oven, nothing more I can do".

FFS!

SO, old oven still here, but now useless. Thankfully company involved are being decent and have said they will re-attempt fitting once we get leccy sorted (no extra charge).

Our preffered sparky is going on holiday from tomorrow. We are supposed to be saving for a wedding, and now have no oven to cook with and thus prevent our eating out habbit.

ARG!....ARG! I say!

Skyline2uk

joe cassidy

Quote from: findus on March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM
is the place to let ofThis  steam about anything that angers you!

I hate stupid tv programs that my trainee wife watches; cougar town, the hills, glee ,sex and the city,90210,  >:( >:( >:(

Your wife watches a TV show about an ex-WD 8F 2-8-0 ?

;)

the small print!
Just make sure its not in anyway offensive or directed at anybody on the forum..

Trainfish

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 18, 2015, 04:01:21 PM
............... once we get leccy sorted (no extra charge)...............

Skyline2uk

Adam, where are you exactly? PM me if you prefer. Doubtful that I could get to you quickly as already committed to something tomorrow and working next week. I may be able to help with a bit more info though.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

paulprice

Well time for my rant.........you know what has really got my anger muscles pulsing................its not going to be popular but its.........wait for it US, N GAUGE BRITISH OUTLINE MODELLERS...... :sorrysign:

YES ITS US.....I'm sorry you can all line up to kick me in the Gentleman's area, but let me explain, I know I have contributed to the conversations about reliability of locomotives, availability of models and ever rising prices but we have to STOP.....we are giving our N Gauge enemies to much advantage.

Let me explain what could be described by some as my madness. Last night the Domestic Overlord, made one of those throw away comments, or at least I thought it was a throw away comment, but then I did a little research last night, and some pondering when I should have been sleeping and the perhaps they are right  :'(

The comment was "those O gauge wagons are quite cheap" and you know what they are right, I was looking at a couple of new PO wagons on the web at around £14 each when I hit the wrong button and saw O gauge PO's at around £30. The other half noticed that straight away and then made comments that it x times the size for not much more and therefore you would need less stock............

Now I am on to this clever ploy by the Domestic Authority, other comments made when visiting Liverpool box shifters of, "Look you can get the same model, but bigger for less here" or "these things will be easier to work on because they are bigger".  Added to the fact that when I go to my local club, the OO modellers who moan about everything under the sun, as easy as drawing breath sometimes, never ever moan about locomotive failures...............

Is I true am I going mad, (they did say when I left college that I should never get a job that involves wearing a white coat, unless the sleeves were at the back  :-X) but is there something more to this... :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

daveg

An interesting point, PP but what should be done about the pricing differential, if that's the main point here?

I have also noticed the gauge v price thing on both retail and eBay websites but my reasoning is that just because it's bigger, it ain't necessarily better made or vfm. Making quite small model trains and rolling stock that look the part and dare I say, work 9 times out of 10, right out the box isn't that bad. From my small collection of 44 steamers and diesels (50/50 mix) I've had to return 2. One as DOA and another just a bad 'un.

My Significant Other often says 'What more!?' as another parcel arrives from Liverpool/Sheffield/Bideford (etc) but never criticizes the choice of N gauge.

Another option is to respond to in-house comments with 'You are quite incorrect and anyway, I like this/these better, so there  :nerner:' and await the reaction.   :D

I am advised that my special white coat is in the back of the wardrobe but readily available.   :wave:

Dave G

steve836

There is a great deal of truth in what you say, Paul, but presumably we choose N gauge for reasons which prevent us choosing larger scales. In my case it's because I wanted to model a prototype and run scale length trains. To build the same thing in OO would take an area of 36ft x 16ft  and in O 72ft x 32ft. If I had wanted to model a branch line with tank engines and short trains I would have chosen OO especially as there is a much larger choice of prototype. O gauge would only be suitable for the sort of model which fits in a suitcase in N. However that doesn't give manufacturers the right to take the pee with prices (based on volume an N gauge model should be 1/8th the price of OO) or faulty goods.
So no kick in the nuts from me but I think you need to redirect your anger. :hmmm:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Ozymandias

Paul, that was no throw away comment from the Domestic Overlord...! ;) It's up there with "I can't see why you don't sell the (beloved, cherished, adored) Mini and get a more modern car that you don't have to work on so much."

It's because I can tinker with and maintain my beautiful little Min that I love it so much. And it's only ever broken down once, and that was my fault for not tightening up the valves, so there).

It's the same with N Gauge - yes, you can get bigger, perhaps more reliable, "more model for your money" locos and stock - but you can get far more pleasure out of having much more layout per square inch, getting a recalcitrant loco to work well (yes, I'm looking at you, Minitrix 9F!) or repainting a loco to make it the exact one you want.

The challenge is part of the fun (OK, not always, but mostly) - and anyway, anything bigger than N Gauge just looks like... a toy... ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

paulprice

Quote from: Ozymandias on September 21, 2015, 09:47:10 AM
Paul, that was no throw away comment from the Domestic Overlord...! ;) It's up there with "I can't see why you don't sell the (beloved, cherished, adored) Mini and get a more modern car that you don't have to work on so much."

It's because I can tinker with and maintain my beautiful little Min that I love it so much. And it's only ever broken down once, and that was my fault for not tightening up the valves, so there).

It's the same with N Gauge - yes, you can get bigger, perhaps more reliable, "more model for your money" locos and stock - but you can get far more pleasure out of having much more layout per square inch, getting a recalcitrant loco to work well (yes, I'm looking at you, Minitrix 9F!) or repainting a loco to make it the exact one you want.

The challenge is part of the fun (OK, not always, but mostly) - and anyway, anything bigger than N Gauge just looks like... a toy... ;)

I agree, the challenge is part of the fun, so much so is my new challenge of looking at new houses, with bigger rooms for my trains, er sorry I mean visitors of course  :-[

I know how you feel about your jam jar, I had to get rid of my beloved Jag, for a flippin FORD (oh the shame) the pain of this loss was nearly as great as the pain I suffered when the Domestic Overlord said "its time to get rid of the Jag its getting old and tired" and I replied "the same could be said about you", still the week I spent unconscious was like a holiday I suppose......................................................

Ozymandias

Quote from: paulprice on September 21, 2015, 09:59:08 AM

I agree, the challenge is part of the fun, so much so is my new challenge of looking at new houses, with bigger rooms for my trains, er sorry I mean visitors of course  :-[

I know how you feel about your jam jar, I had to get rid of my beloved Jag, for a flippin FORD (oh the shame) the pain of this loss was nearly as great as the pain I suffered when the Domestic Overlord said "its time to get rid of the Jag its getting old and tired" and I replied "the same could be said about you", still the week I spent unconscious was like a holiday I suppose......................................................

:laughabovepost:

Paul, I am beginning to think our Domestic Overlords may be related... ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

paulprice

Quote from: Ozymandias on September 21, 2015, 10:04:03 AM
Quote from: paulprice on September 21, 2015, 09:59:08 AM

:laughabovepost:

Paul, I am beginning to think our Domestic Overlords may be related... ;)

PLEASE DONT SAY THAT, it means there could be a tribe of them, and they might start hunting in packs.......were doomed, doomed I tell you, well they wont take me alive, I wear the trousers in my house (though skirts are quite comfortable...ahem). I'm going to make a stand and say enough is enough, Im going to put my foot down and make a stand for us picked on chaps.......well I might do, then the other half is in a better mood........ :help:

Newportnobby

I'd suggest you work out the footprint required to have your current N gauge layout replicated in 0 gauge, print off a few details from an estate agent showing houses with rooms large enough to accommodate the aforesaid 0 gauge layout and leave them lying about for the D.O. to find.
That, and a simple comparison betwixt the prices of N and 0 gauge Black 5s.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations