Tutorial requests - help on ballasting and grass scatter

Started by Bob Wild, September 08, 2013, 11:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Wild

Calling all you expert N gauge modellers. As a newcomer to this pastime I've found the tutorials forum most useful. But, having mastered the art of track laying and wiring I really need some basic help on how to lay the ballast and model the scenic grass. There are many interesting esoteric tutorials, but what I'm after are the real basics about how to start. What type and suppliers are the most useful? What are the best ways of applying them? At the moment I'm scratching my head - there seem to be so many choices that I find it difficult to know where to start. I'd really like to begin simply and then progress to more sophisticated techniques. Pointers please.......would be most appreciated. I'm sure basic tutorials would be most useful and appreciated by other novices like me.

Sprintex

The problem with tutorials on ballasting and scatter application is that so many people have differing opinions on whose products are best and how to use them ;) It's not like wheel cleaning or loco maintenance where there is more-or-less right ways and wrong ways of doing it, it's all very subjective and based on what look you want to achieve.

You'd probably be better searching for "ballasting" in the 'Layout Construction' section and reading the results, that way you will get a range of methods and manufacturers and hopefully pictures of the results to judge for yourself :thumbsup: In those same threads you may just find the same answers regarding scatter ;)

Paul

EtchedPixels

I'd start with grass because the "traditional" way of doing that and ballast is the same.

You need
- a bit of something to practice on
- brown acrylic paint (or 'burnt ochre')
- PVA glue (cheap woodglue available by the bucket from any plasterers/builders shop or in smaller bottles for a lot more at arts stores etc)
- scatter (Woodland scenics tends to work well if you need a brand). I'd suggest two different greens

Take the piece of something to practice on. Paint in brown acrylic or similar (burnt ochre is the usual artistic suggestion for generic soil).

Let the paint dry.

Mix some PVA about 1 part PVA, 4 parts water. Wait until the wife isn't looking and add a tiny bit of washing up liquid (this avoids surface tension). An old plastic spoon is often handy here.

Dribble the mix over a small patch of your test area so you get a coverage. It will run down slopes a bit and sometimes this is useful as it guides you where water would run. You can make the mix thicker or thinner by adding PVA or water.

Cover this area in the scatter of the colours you have. Don't worry if the cover isn't perfect - thats why the soil is brown.

Dribble the mix onto the corner of the test area. Just a drop or two off the spoon. It should begin to spread into the scatter (if it sits on top you may need to tweak the washing up liquid or use one of the alternatives)

Gradually work over the area you are doing with the mix, dripping it just gently onto the edges of the already wet bit - you want it to soak into the scatter not move it away.

Let it dry for a day or so. If some is loose at that point just give it another dose

Repeat a few times until happy with the technique.

There are cleverer things like static grass but thats in many ways just a twist on the basic method so start basic IMHO.

The same basic technique also works for all sorts of other things depending upon the scatter mix you use.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

OwL

Hi Bob,
Some people learn better visually.

If you go onto YouTube and enter 'Model Railway Ballasting', this pulls up many videos which literally show you how other people do their ballasting.

You may find this of some use in helping you decide what method to use and how it can be done by seeing someone else do the method.

All the best and if you need anymore help please just ask :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Bob Wild

Thanks chaps for this info. But I was really hoping that one of you would volunteer to do some tutorials that could be called "Masterclasses" as a reference point for me and other novices. Pictures, videos, etc are always useful, but I appreciate that this may be time consuming. Note that I started this post with a reference to experts. I've seen many videos on you tube, but the trouble is knowing whether they are prepared by a true expert or simply some geek wanting to blow his own trumpet.

EtchedPixels

Seriously it isn't magic. Make a mess, learn, discover. Approach it as a seven year old would, except for the throwing it when it goes wrong bit.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sprintex

Stick a short length of track to a piece of wood and have a go. If it comes out wrong you haven't lost much, that's what I did ;)

Paul

Bob Wild

Thanks chaps. I guess I'll have to learn the hard way - by experience. No doubt I'll have a few queries when I have finished my wiring.

CarriageShed

Don't be afraid of posting photos here of your ballasting experiments so that we can all criticise comment, and perhaps offer advice.  ;)

scotsoft

Quote from: Bob Wild on September 09, 2013, 10:45:19 PM
Note that I started this post with a reference to experts. I've seen many videos on you tube, but the trouble is knowing whether they are prepared by a true expert or simply some geek wanting to blow his own trumpet.

Anyone who ends up with the result they want is an expert no matter which method they use.  There is not one way that is the correct way so you cannot get a definitive answer to your question.  You need to find the way that works for you, so by watching a few different methods on You Tube you pick one you like the look of and give it a try on a small length of track as EtchedPixels and Sprintex have written.

cheers John.

Jellicoe

Owl has the measure of it: go to YouTube and search for the series of Woodland Scenics tutorial videos.  They really are very good.  I was planning to go down the static grass route but got excellent results from their scatter materials.

Bob Wild

Thanks Jellicoe. I actually came across the Woodland Scenics videos yesterday and agree they look very useful. I'll give it a bash shortly and let you know how I get on. (after I've wired in twenty point motors, boring .....)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations