B&Q - madness!

Started by daffy, April 25, 2020, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

B&Q have opened 155 of their stores.

Take a look on this webpage at photos of the queues that have formed today.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/crowds-flock-bq-reopen-coronavirus-pandemic-a4424066.html

Some beggar belief, with many idiots seemingly oblivious to the term 'social distancing' .

Leads me to suggest a possible news headline:

"Special Offer at B&Q : Covid-19 now available!"

Okay, so the shops closed voluntarily and were not required under the lockdown regs to do so, but as demonstrated by some of the great British public (I won't give them the name that's forefront in my mind), re-opening will surely mean more will die.

Further words fail me - other than God help us!

:veryangry: :censored: :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

With an already marked card @daffy I will keep it as unpolitical as possible.

The problem we have is we have been lied too about the sheer amount of numbers we have lost to this "outbreak" due to poor planning and complacency.

It is still unclear if B&Q can be classed as a "vital business" and as virtually everything is a grey area it seems to of started becoming a free for all, people are just acting like their on holiday and theres nothing to worry about.

As I was entering sainsbury's this morning one bloke was walking out with his little trolley containing

A dartboard
2 slabs of Carling
6 tubes of pringles

Clearly missing the pub  ;)

crewearpley40

I noticed this earlier. I must admit I called my independent hardware store. The friendly manager had 1 left though aFter an unforeseen matter at home  went down. Kind of understandable 2 in 2 out policy but waited in the queue and 1 person jumped the queue. Stood quietly and waited my turn. Thankfully the store saved the item and had my name on the box. Out within minutes having paid. Just a fact of life for the time being. Even the supermarket queues were easier in marks spencer than another known store. Back to daffy ' s point . Madness and everybody wanting items for their project at home.

Just 

Ditape

Our local B&Q were doing a click and collect system that seemed to work well, you ordered your stuff when it was ready they messaged you, you went to the store parked outside called the store and your order was brought to your car, no physical contact between staff and customer, I thought this was a excellent idea so why open the store and tempt the idiots out to mess everyone up.
Diane Tape

njee20

Realised I needed a railway sleeper for a raised bed in the garden today. Would normally just pop to the local builders merchant, but instead have to pay £12 delivery and wait until 14th May for it. This despite having a ton of gravel coming from them next week, as they're no longer allowing changes to orders once placed. Sigh.

Still... you've got to really want your compost and bits of poor quality 2x4 to queue like that!

daffy

Quote from: Ditape on April 25, 2020, 10:55:23 PM
Our local B&Q were doing a click and collect system that seemed to work well, you ordered your stuff when it was ready they messaged you, you went to the store parked outside called the store and your order was brought to your car, no physical contact between staff and customer, I thought this was a excellent idea so why open the store and tempt the idiots out to mess everyone up.

This same click and collect system has been in use successfully by ScrewFix branches, under the same ownership as B&Q. So like you I fail to see why they needed to open the stores fully.

:hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

themadhippy

Dont be to harsh on  b+spew,there taking social distancing seriously,you even have to queue up to enter there web site,

Quoteyou ordered your stuff when it was ready they messaged you, you went to the store parked outside
And if you dont drive? same with the mass testing centers drive through or em?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Trainfish

Quote from: daffy on April 25, 2020, 11:34:52 PM
Quote from: Ditape on April 25, 2020, 10:55:23 PM

This same click and collect system has been in use successfully by ScrewFix branches, under the same ownership as B&Q. So like you I fail to see why they needed to open the stores fully.

:hmmm:

I agree. The Screwfix method is working well and stuff is often cheaper there. Thankfully a lot of people avoid Screwfix as they seem to think it's a trade outlet. This is probably due to the smaller outlets with what looks like a trade counter and usually on trading estates. I use them both for home and work and have always had good service from them. Personally I think B&Q, Homebase etc should either be shut down or operate the same as Screwfix. Due to the nature of my job I generally use trade counters but some I have had to request for my company to be added to their list as they only supply to essential services like the NHS. As the factory where I work makes components for ventilators I was able to add my company to the list but even then most are only doing deliveries, not pick ups.

I fully expect the so-called lockdown to be extended again and hopefully it will be more strict too to stop some of these idiots queuing up to buy a new barbecue or charcoal to go on it.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

PhilD

BEWARE - Covidiots are everywhere - they walk amongst us!

stevewalker

One of the problems has been that B&Q (and Homebase) have been operating limited ranges for click and collect and what is essential differs from household to household. For instance, I started working on our kitchen (replacing ceiling, re-wiring, re-decorating, new cupboards and worktops, new flooring, etc. before the lockdown. I am at a stage where I cannot continue without wallpaper. Lack of wallpaper means I can't put the wallcupboards back, the flooring, the worktop and therefore the oven and hob (the old cooker is still in place, so we can cook). We are a household of five, with a single through room (plus conservatory)  downstairs, that currently looks like this:

My wife has health problems, but the state of the living room is getting her down and she is staying in bed all day, every day. We can't continue to live like this much longer. We *need* to get wallpaper!

daffy

Just to be clear, my issue is not with B&Q per se, it is with the morons in the queues who are making their stores "Death DIY.com".
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

weave

Quote from: exmouthcraig on April 25, 2020, 10:22:43 PM
With an already marked card @daffy I will keep it as unpolitical as possible.

The problem we have is we have been lied too about the sheer amount of numbers we have lost to this "outbreak" due to poor planning and complacency.

It is still unclear if B&Q can be classed as a "vital business" and as virtually everything is a grey area it seems to of started becoming a free for all, people are just acting like their on holiday and theres nothing to worry about.

As I was entering sainsbury's this morning one bloke was walking out with his little trolley containing

A dartboard
2 slabs of Carling
6 tubes of pringles

Clearly missing the pub  ;)

In my opinion that is absolutely disgusting. Not the dartboard or missing the pub but Carling. That IS absolutely disgusting  :sick:

As for Pringles, the guy should have bought an industrial pack of toilet paper to go with it. Pringles contain Maltodextrin, amongst other things, and as their advert predicts 'Once you pop, you just can't stop!'  :D

Regarding B&Q, at least we know the staff will be safe as they don't have any except of course Kevin on till 13, the only one open, and Julie on customer services. Sunday (today) will probably be inexplicably busy so they're both goners  :(

Warped wood anyone? Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Cheers weave  :beers:

njee20

Last time I was in B&Q a guy in orange asked me if I wanted decking. Luckily I got the first punch in, but you should definitely watch out. (Credit: Viz).

Quote from: stevewalker on April 26, 2020, 02:20:18 AM
My wife has health problems, but the state of the living room is getting her down and she is staying in bed all day, every day. We can't continue to live like this much longer. We *need* to get wallpaper!

Why can't you just buy wallpaper from any one of the hundreds of online retailers? Or do without walpaper and just paint the kitchen?

exmouthcraig

@weave Oi  :P this years barley is under contract to Carling!!! As long as their still brewing in September!!!

I totally agree, the stuff is bloody awful but as long as the likes of him are buying it they will give us a cheque at the end of the year

weave

Hi @exmouthcraig,

I'm sure you'll be fine as it does seem to sell  ???  but frankly the only nice thing John Carling ever produced was his grand daughter and before eyebrows are raised I was 15 when she was 16  ;)  :)......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHqsQJOWNE

Good luck with the 'arvest.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations