Am I mad?

Started by Ted, February 15, 2020, 05:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Dunno if I'm moderately atypical on this, or just total proof of 'the rule'!

I started building a small layout to start with, because that's what you do. I wasn't interested in it, because I didn't want a small layout, so it never got anywhere at all. So when I had space I built a bigger one (12x3), which I enjoyed. It didn't actually progress to scenics because I got distracted by running trains, wiring up all the points, then handbuilding track and relaying it and so on. Then a couple of years ago we decided to move house, so I stopped progressing anything which would be irretrievable and was content running trains around.

After a couple of false starts for various reasons we are now going to move house in the next couple of months (once our vendor finds somewhere, grumble grumble), and I'm going to have a bigger space, which I fully plan to put an even bigger layout in. It will take a very long time, I realise, but that's ok, because the end result will be something I will enjoy. I'd sooner spend longer on something I have an interest in, and I certainly enjoy the planning. I'm much happier doing this than quickly progressing on something which doesn't interest me. I'm never going to be a "one layout a year" sort of chap, and I'm alright with that!

I'm in Templot right now planning it, in fact!

Ted

Thanks for the input chaps, it sounds like this is 'prototypical' of many modellers.

I'm trying to fix the issues that were slowing me down before, one was not having a dedicated space. That mean having to unfurl my modelling stuff and tidy-up at the end of the day, this was annoying and felt like dead time.

That's one tick then!

Secondly, I spent a whole week doing this and tried to convince myself I enjoyed it:

I did however, learn. Which is important. I also - think - I over-engineered that, it's only a 60x30cm diorama!

Thirdly, I spent 8 hours doing this (which I know is a lot) and thoroughly enjoyed it:

I enjoy the weathering and details, so I'm going to get an airbrush setup as this will improve things further. Especially on scenic stuff. I like grime and nuances!

Another thing to consider is that each time I lay track I get better of course, and that very much goes for the electronics. The electrics really slowed me down at first - this is all new to me!

My first ever project was [successfully] adding sound to a Class 08 shunter - so I don't do things by halves...
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Bealman

Everything in your post looks awesome to me buddy.

:thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

The basic track on my layout  was laid in 1982 but it has had lots of modifications to the fiddle yard ,and a yard with turntable fueling points for steam and diesel and an engine shed and a branchline added over the years ,I still have lots of scenic stuff to do and my daughter has bought me a house to go on the layout which now means a drive ,footpath and a garden and fencing to do once the weather gets warmer it costs too much to run the super ser gas fires just for me They only go on when I have visitors .
If I was starting again I would have gone for a fourtrack mainline and passing loops in the station but that would be to difficult to change now so I will live with what I've got ,in fact I enjoy doing the scenery as much as running trains ,if I have any visitors I often leave them to run the layout while I do some work on the scenery .I have allways said it's the scenery that turns a train set into a Model Railway .
Bob Tidbury

Ted

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on February 16, 2020, 11:40:16 AM
The basic track on my layout  was laid in 1982 but it has had lots of modifications to the fiddle yard ,and a yard with turntable fueling points for steam and diesel and an engine shed and a branchline added over the years ,I still have lots of scenic stuff to do and my daughter has bought me a house to go on the layout which now means a drive ,footpath and a garden and fencing to do once the weather gets warmer it costs too much to run the super ser gas fires just for me They only go on when I have visitors .
If I was starting again I would have gone for a fourtrack mainline and passing loops in the station but that would be to difficult to change now so I will live with what I've got ,in fact I enjoy doing the scenery as much as running trains ,if I have any visitors I often leave them to run the layout while I do some work on the scenery .I have allways said it's the scenery that turns a train set into a Model Railway .
Bob Tidbury

Sorry Bob, you're going to hate me for saying this but, 82 was my birth year!  :D

You sound very a patient man.

And noted on the "If I was starting again I would have gone for a fourtrack mainline and passing loops" comment. I too have been playing with ideas around 2 fast, 2 freight, as the main run.

I've set myself a target of finishing the diorama first before 'allowing' myself to start anything bigger!

Just not Eddie.

railsquid

There's a lot to be said for track systems such as Kato Unitrack, which make it possible to play around with various permutations to get an idea of what "works" for you, without having to fret over how you hex your frog juices etc.

The great thing about modern N gauge is that if you know you want to model Lower Wibbleton Junction as it was on a wet spring Tuesday in 1963 with scale sleeper spacing and something approaching realistic rail height, you have options; if you want to run trains round and round for a while until you known what you want without committing to scenery and point motor locations, you also also have options.

crewearpley40

Don't worry bob.when the green signal is illuminated by Your Secretary aka Val I'm sure we can help turn a boxed house into a miniature and beautiful property

Trainfish

Quote from: Ted on February 16, 2020, 10:55:55 AM

Ted, are those the Megapoints servo mounts? If so would you recommend them?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Ted

Quote from: Trainfish on February 16, 2020, 02:38:20 PM
Quote from: Ted on February 16, 2020, 10:55:55 AM

They are indeed.

Vs trying to mount with aluminium U channels, yes I certainly do recommend them.

A few dabs of superglue and they're ready to go, plenty strong enough too and easy to work with.

I threw myself in the deep end with the electronics, having never done any of this. Servos, triple points, frog relays, megacontrollers etc. It was a steep learning curve that I'm now - thankfully - over!  ;D

Just not Eddie.

Trainfish

Quote from: Ted on February 16, 2020, 02:45:08 PM

They are indeed.

Vs trying to mount with aluminium U channels, yes I certainly do recommend them.

A few dabs of superglue and they're ready to go, plenty strong enough too and easy to work with.

I threw myself in the deep end with the electronics, having never done any of this. Servos, triple points, frog relays, megacontrollers etc. It was a steep learning curve that I'm now - thankfully - over!  ;D

I have some U channels, both aluminium and plastic but haven't used them yet. I saw those mounts the other week and almost bought some, now I think I will. I also have the Megapoints sytem with 4 expansion boards so have a lot of servos to fit over time  :goggleeyes:

EDIT: Just ordered the servo mounts along with button cables and route processor  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Ted

Quote from: Trainfish on February 16, 2020, 02:54:53 PM
Quote from: Ted on February 16, 2020, 02:45:08 PM

They are indeed.

I have some U channels, both aluminium and plastic but haven't used them yet. I saw those mounts the other week and almost bought some, now I think I will. I also have the Megapoints sytem with 4 expansion boards so have a lot of servos to fit over time  :goggleeyes:

I've yet to find a technique for installation - quite fiddly to get right. You can of course adjust the servo, but it doesn't fixed a misaligned servo and point!

My original plan had 32 points and servos... I'm glad I down-sized for my first attempt.  :smiley-laughing:

Just not Eddie.

JanW

About your original question: lots of modellers have this.
I have three unfinished layouts (n gauge, 2mm scale and h0)  :-\

Have you ever heard about the TOMA concept of MRH Magazine?
This is the original idea:
http://mrhpub.com/2013-05-may/land/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#page151
Which developed into the TOMA concept:
http://mrhpub.com/2017-08-aug/online/?page=22

Quite interesting and you can always change your plans along the way.

njee20

I prefer the U channel to the servo mounts. Find it easier to install them.

Ingleborough

Hi Ted,
My solution to this problem was to model a real location. Doing that you are constrained by the prototype. Only certain moves are possible, dependent upon the track layout and signalling. My problem is I still feel the need to collect stock that isn't suitable for the location modelled, but it will run on my new layout, If I ever get around to building it!
Cheers

Ted

Quote from: Ingleborough on March 01, 2020, 03:43:07 PM
Hi Ted,
My solution to this problem was to model a real location. Doing that you are constrained by the prototype. Only certain moves are possible, dependent upon the track layout and signalling. My problem is I still feel the need to collect stock that isn't suitable for the location modelled, but it will run on my new layout, If I ever get around to building it!
Cheers

I think you are entirely right!  :thumbsup:

I've been looking at Shirebrook (late 80's) in awe. https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08

This has helped me a lot recently. I've been looking at photos of the area etc which restricts the mind wondering, and gives you a plan to build towards.

Also, I've looked at video archives such as this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBOr43Ji6U - that help me understand what stock appeared on the lines, in the general area.

... it doesn't stop me buying locos though! I've got a Rf and a Coal Dapol Class 26 coming. Not sure they ran in the Midlands?!  :worried:

Just not Eddie.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations