New Career - The first week!

Started by acko22, November 10, 2019, 02:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acko22

Hi all,

So as many of you may know I recently finished my 16 year stint in the army, and lined myself up for a new career on the railways. To my delight after a few disappointments Freightliner offered me a a job as a mechanical and electrical fitter at Crewe Basford Hall VMF (Vehicle Maintenance Facility) or depot in old speak!
The job is a more in depth role than some of the others out there and I am to not just carry out basic fixes and maintenance but the full spectrum of maintenance from fault diagnosis to overhaul work primarily on the freightliner electric fleet but increasingly the diesel fleet.

This week was the first week in work and well I have been thrown in the deep carrying out A and B exams on both class 86s and 90s including the fun of changing brake blocks and replacing damaged rectifiers on the class 86 which isn't a job I am looking forward to repeating!

But all in I actually for the first time in a long time really enjoyed work! Next week I have the fun of my first major overhaul, carrying out a bogie overhaul on a class 90 so this could be interesting!  :D

Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Bealman

Congratulations on your new career. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Least you may have the chance of travel, work you may love doing and a nationally recognised qualification. Good luck gareth

njee20

After 16 years in the army I'd have thought not ever travelling again would be more appealing in a job  ;D

Glad it's started well.

exmouthcraig

Good job sir!! I hope you succeed in civvy street and enjoy another long successful  career  :beers:

I'm expecting a super detailed Freightliner depot diorama coming soon  :D

Bob Tidbury

Glad you've  got another good job and it sounds like one that really is made for you .
Bob Tidbury

Bob G

Sounds like a brilliant job to me. Well done and good luck.
Hope week 2 is even better.
Bob

RailGooner

Glad it's started well for you and long may it continue! :beers:

maridunian

Congratulations on this fresh start! I'm sure we'll be picking your brains before long...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Paddy

Many congratulations @acko22 - I wish you every success and happiness for the future.  You deserve to be happy.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Graham

congratulations on the start of the next phase of your career.

Ben A

Hi Gareth,

Very well done on your new career - let's hope you don't get too grand to help us on the Revolution stand!!!

Cheers

Ben A.

Ditape

Good luck in the new job, I hope you settle into civvy street I know several Vets who found it difficult.
Diane Tape

guest311

Quote from: Ditape on November 10, 2019, 10:59:40 AM
Good luck in the new job, I hope you settle into civvy street I know several Vets who found it difficult.

here here, all the best for a quick settling in.

dannyboy

Good luck in the job Gareth, sounds like you will be enjoying yourself in civvie street.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations