A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazadoom

Lovely models, Great runners, To fit DCC next!

Latches painted yellow, Coach ends a work in Progress

Newportnobby

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 16, 2021, 05:15:14 PM
Also pleased to say it ran round the R1 (9 inch) curve on one of my fiddle yard tracks without problem even at speed.

I believe you're the first to confirm that, Mike, so thanks for that (not that I have any 9" curves on my main lines :no:)

Quote from: Cazadoom on May 16, 2021, 07:06:09 PM

I do like that pic as there's more than a hint of green to the 'grey' of other pics in the thread.

pape_timmo

The real things are notoriously difficult to photograph for the same reason, GWR green does look different in changing light conditions.

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

RailGooner

This was taken outside under a bright blue sky.

Images © Mark Adedeji, on Flickr

Alan Kyte

My three year old called it my green train, that's good enough for me.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Graham

Quote from: railsquid on May 16, 2021, 12:42:39 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on May 16, 2021, 12:38:26 PM
Is it normal for Japanese models to be supplied with track to display them on?

This is the first time I've seen it with a bookset like this; usually only display/commemorative models (e.g. Tomix's "First Car Museum" range) come with display track.
I wonder if Kato expect the majority of them sold will just be displayed. Somewhere it was mentioned only 20% have been sold in the UK.

jpendle

Quote from: Graham on May 16, 2021, 11:49:15 PM
Quote from: railsquid on May 16, 2021, 12:42:39 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on May 16, 2021, 12:38:26 PM
Is it normal for Japanese models to be supplied with track to display them on?

This is the first time I've seen it with a bookset like this; usually only display/commemorative models (e.g. Tomix's "First Car Museum" range) come with display track.
I wonder if Kato expect the majority of them sold will just be displayed. Somewhere it was mentioned only 20% have been sold in the UK.

Apparently Kato will sell up to 90% of this model in Japan. As a result, they build in lots of 10k rather than the 1k that Farish, Dapol, et al are limited to. This results in a lower selling price. Apparently the Japanese market will buy a Japanese model regardless of where it runs

It also explains why they go their own way on DCC, AFAIK the Japanese market doesn't 'do' DCC.

So we get a very nice model at a very good price, BUT what's next. I'll probably get one of these as a rule 1 purchase, but a TPE CL802 is what I really want.
Is there any other UK loco/mu that would sell well in Japan?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

gc4946

Peco and Kato are planning two Ffestiniog Railway locos in 009.
The "Small England" 0-4-0TT locos will be released first then the Double Fairlie https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3121-peco-oo9-announcement

Otherwise in N Kato might release both Hitachi-built class 395 Javelin and/or the class 385s
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Newportnobby

Mine arrived this lunchtime. Looks a beauty so I set up my test oval (282mm curves) and trusty Farish train set controller. The Class 800 couplings can be a little finicky and I found required a slight twisting to get them to uncouple. Runs a treat down to a crawl.............

Kato Class 800 IET GWR livery by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

zwilnik

Quote from: gc4946 on May 17, 2021, 07:07:36 AM
Peco and Kato are planning two Ffestiniog Railway locos in 009.
The "Small England" 0-4-0TT locos will be released first then the Double Fairlie https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3121-peco-oo9-announcement

Otherwise in N Kato might release both Hitachi-built class 395 Javelin and/or the class 385s

Not only is that nice for 009 modellers, but it also means another source of good 0-4-0 steam chassis for N gauge modellers :)

dannyboy

Some nice plywood on show there Mike. (And the 800 is nice).  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

pape_timmo

[
[/quote]

I'd like to see both of these...
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Trainfish

Well I suppose someone had to get a duff one but why did it have to be me?  :'(

I didn't think they came with sounds like that.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

JonMann

Received mine yesterday and it looks stunning. Haven't had a chance to run it on the test track yet and also need to get the dcc and lighting kits for it.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations