A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Ben A on April 24, 2021, 09:31:12 AM
Quote from: woodbury22uk on April 24, 2021, 09:15:31 AM
The instruction sheet and parts list is now available to download..

Hi Mike,

Good find - thanks for posting.

I must admit I am a little confused by the diagram showing the arrangement for multiple working - it seems to be suggesting that Kato are offering number variations.  Is this correct?

cheers

Ben A.

Maybe the versions in the Gaugemaster etc. sets have different numbers. The 282mm radius and needing a straight between reverse curves of a crossover might limit its use on some layouts. It also appears to come with a display track and buffer stop. No R1 station throats allowed.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Interesting. Requiring a straight between reverse curves isn't great, that presumably excludes their own crossovers, which is very odd.

woodbury22uk

I think that Kato can be a bit overcautious. The Eurostar minimum radius is 312mm but I know I have had mine safely through the one piece of R1 in the fiddle yard. Let's hope that the reverse curve issue is also a "belts and braces" measure for running at a scale 125mph, which we would only do if putting a video on Facebook, wouldn't we? :-)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Ben A

Hello all,

I agree that Kato are cautious, and rightly so IMO.  Always better to under-promise than over-promise.

In addition, and despite the wording, I suspect this is only an issue for the tightest radii.  No4 turnouts have a diverging radius of 481mm, and No6 turnouts a diverging radius of 718mm, so I doubt these will cause an issue.

Having said that of course, until we can test the models for ourselves this is all just (educated) guesswork!

cheers

Ben A.

njee20

Yes, I agree with the Eurostar I've run mine through 9" curves without issue. I guess the potential issue with the 800 is the 26m coach lengths, but I'm sure you're right about their pessimism. Although of no geographical relevance for me I look forward to getting my paws on one!

gc4946

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

osborns

my info says GWR version first at end of May followed by LNER in June

Newportnobby

Quote from: osborns on May 08, 2021, 11:28:58 AM
my info says GWR version first at end of May followed by LNER in June

Aha - but you come before Rails alphabetically :D
Even better as it's the GWR one I've ordered. Not long after a multi thousand pound bill for a new mancave roof, though :'(

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

railsquid

Quote from: Trainfish on May 08, 2021, 11:35:40 AM
Hopefully there will be no hairline cracks in the Kato version  :goggleeyes:

Apparently the Kato factory has been doing night shifts, and a van from Hammers'R'Us was spotted entering the delivery area earlier.

Katmandu

Railwaygun

We may have to add "crack - counters " to the vocabulary!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

osborns

crack counters -----------no how would hairline scale down anyway?

gc4946

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations