Do I get a Blue Peter badge!?

Started by Tdm, December 08, 2014, 07:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHEINGOLD

Stickleback Plastic,
To answer Tony's question about "stickleback plastic" which I missed;.............whenever they were making something,("and here's one I made earlier"...oh yeah !) it always seemed to involve using a metal coat-hanger,some empty toilet roll tubes,an empty plastic washing up bottle and a roll or sheet of "stickleback plastic."  :hmmm: :confused2:
Rheingold

Caz

Think you will find it was "Sticky back plastic", think it has the trade name of "Fablon" at the time.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

RHEINGOLD

Caz,
Re "Stickleback Plastic"
Do you take me for a complete fool?  :laughabovepost:
Humf... "sticky back plastic" indeed,.....my backs*de !
As for Fablon I think you're referring to John Gotti who was of course famously known as The Fablon Don.
Sort yourself out young man or you'll end up bemused,befuddled and confumbled....er in fact... just like me.  :doh:
Rheingold

joe cassidy

What amused me about Blue Peter was the lengths they would go to to avoid being accused of advertising.
The washing up liquid bottle had to be sanded down to remove all traces of "Fairy Liquid".
I hope the same bottle was reused several times.

Newportnobby

Quote from: RHEINGOLD on December 09, 2014, 07:13:48 PM

Sort yourself out young man or you'll end up bemused,befuddled and confumbled....er in fact... just like me.  :doh:

Just to further correct you - Caz is a young lady :D

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on December 09, 2014, 09:41:02 PM
Quote from: RHEINGOLD on December 09, 2014, 07:13:48 PM

Oops. I hope you don't make a habit of confusing hims and hers!!

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Trainfish

I never could find a shop which sold stickleback plastic, now I know why.

By the way, the smaller trunking is usually called mini trunking and the larger compartmented trunking is dado trunking. I should know as I've fitted a few miles of it (horrible though it is) in my time as a hairy arsed sparky.  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Caz

I like the young bit Mick, where do I send the cheque?    :)
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Tdm

Dedo, Dado, Dodo - at least one of those is dead, and the other has possibly had a name change. Many many years ago when I was an I.T. Manager in Conwy (and that is the correct Welsh spelling of Conwy by the way) I am sure I signed a contract for a new Computer Room and the whole of the building where I worked to be equipped with new "dedo" trunking so a computer terminal could be plugged in anywhere within the building (except the "Loo").

Maybe the sub-contractor who got the job got the spelling wrong on the contract, or I have just remembered it wrong - it doesn't really matter as you know what I was talking about.
Maybe I will soon be going the way of the Dodo - it's my birthday tomorrow and I will be 27 (I'm dyslexic by the way!).

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on December 10, 2014, 08:37:35 AM

I like the young bit Mick, where do I send the cheque?    :)

I believe you have the details of my Swiss bank account, Caz :angel: :thumbsup:

Caz

Quote from: newportnobby on December 10, 2014, 10:36:16 AM

I believe you have the details of my Swiss bank account, Caz :angel: :thumbsup:

:laughabovepost:   :laughabovepost:    :laughabovepost:

Think the trunking takes its name from the rail that used to run around rooms at about waist height and was called a dado rail, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dado_rail   ;)
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

RHEINGOLD

I thought Dido was some English blond singer,but she must have come down in the world if she's having to carry wires around a room or building to earn an "honest crust".
Still I suppose someone's got to do it and a job's a job nowadays. :confused2:
Rheingold

joe cassidy

How about "duct tape". Does Anyone Know what that is ? Apparently it exists in America.

Joe

RHEINGOLD

Yes it's really stickleback plastic but comes as rolls of tape in strips of various widths rather than sheets of plastic.
It's called Duck Tape in America (a lot of American's refer to it as Duct Tape but we know what they're like when it comes to spelling) and is used for fixing things,wrapping/packing things and just about everything else you can think of.
Rheingold

trainsdownunder

Quote from: RHEINGOLD on December 12, 2014, 02:19:02 PM
Yes it's really stickleback plastic but comes as rolls of tape in strips of various widths rather than sheets of plastic.
It's called Duck Tape in America (a lot of American's refer to it as Duct Tape but we know what they're like when it comes to spelling) and is used for fixing things,wrapping/packing things and just about everything else you can think of.

Not quite sticky back plastic as it is a woven fabric with plastic coating one side and strong adhesive the other.
DUCK tape is not a mis spelling but refers back to the tapes origin as a "cotton duck" material used as a strengthener. DUCK Tape is also a Brand name. It is known by an assortment of names the other most popular being GAFFER TAPE which is actually a  different product. (different glue). DUCT Tape is again a similar product but was originally developed ( I believe) for heating and ventilation system joints - it's glue being resistant to heat.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations