How far can you stretch Rule 1?

Started by Dorsetmike, October 10, 2013, 10:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrippa

As I'm a bit arachnophobic  that pic scared the bejasus out of me , won't sleep tonight. When you mentioned
a " largish Huntsman " I expected to see a fat men in a red coat. Hope the train survived its encounter with
that horror.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

mereman

Another rule 1 follower here. Which is why I went for a Heritage layout, as an aside can we not have so many interesting posts, it's stopping me getting on with my layout :smiley-laughing:.

The only rule I go by is do I like this train, carriage, building or other stock. If I like it it will go in somewhere :D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Agrippa

Rule 1 is self explanatory therefore it can be stretched infinitely, thus you could have Stephenson's Rocket
hauling 20 HTAs  or nuclear flask wagons if you wished. The only limit is your imagination ( and wallet).

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Agrippa on October 17, 2013, 11:34:11 AM
, thus you could have Stephenson's Rocket
hauling 20 HTAs  or nuclear flask wagons if you wished.

Sorry but thats silly!.  The rocket would have to be double headed with Locomotion No 1 to haul that length of train.  Ok I'm getting my coat........
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Agrippa

Sorry , didn't think of that,,,, so I won't mention running a TGV on a West Country branch line. :D

Sprintex

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 11, 2013, 07:24:51 PMone exhiition layout has a motorised pig to run when they get an overdose of rivet counters. A mouse would be more fun IMHO, or for N I guess something like a big plastic spider.

Already seen that in 00, they have a big furry rat that comes out of the tunnel, usually when some unsuspecting female is starting to look slightly bored - soon wakes them up :laugh:

Paul

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Quote from: NeMo on October 11, 2013, 06:03:35 PM
I love Tank's approach to liveries!

It's funny how some people object to seeing a loco that's been painted in a non-prototypical way, yet will happily model entire mainlines or branchlines that never existed, or were ripped up dozens of years ago!

After all, how often have we seen nonsense liveries on real locomotives? Just thinking back to my teenage years, there were 47s and 50s in GWR livery, DMUs in chocolate and cream, even a 37 painted like a police car! I'm sure others with deeper knowledge of the subject can think of even more bizarre examples.

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: Mr chapman on October 11, 2013, 05:19:36 PM
TANK, I was wondering when the NSE 125 would turn up :D Does look nice that...
Talking of nonsense liveries - look at this beauty! Spotted at Innsbruck station during my recent Euroadventure.
[smg id=7583 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=7582 type=preview align=center width=400]
There was even a little hobby shop in Innsbruck that sold HO and N models of it!
[smg id=7581 type=preview align=center width=400]

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on October 19, 2013, 04:13:31 AM
Talking of nonsense liveries - look at this beauty! Spotted at Innsbruck station during my recent Euroadventure.
[smg id=7582 type=preview align=center width=400]

Love it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Was it celebrating anything?
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Hi buddy!

To be honest, I really don't know.... maybe some of our continental members can provide more info. I do know it had ROCO on the side of it - isn't that a brand of continental model railway equipment?

George

Chetcombe

Hey George

I think ROCO is part of Fleiscmann, which makes it even more intriguing! Hopefully someone can shed some light on this cos it is seriously cool!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Yeah, Mike - when I think of it, I think the N scale model I saw in that shop was by Fleischmann..... and as well as being seriously cool, was also seriously expensive!

grumbeast

The lovely thing about Rule 1 is that it really isn't a rule.

I'm just like a magpie and all trains are lovely shiney things so I have to be able to run whatever I like
So its UK, Canadian, Japanese, German, Other European, steam, diesel, electric I love it all and run it all.

I also enjoy the challenge of making a layout that looks good with all of these things, and it is possible!  I'm very inspired by Jerry's amazingly lovely layout over at http://www.quinntopia.com/.  I'm not sure what it is but it just works so well with so many different trains.

Those of you who focus on just a single country should check it out regardless as its just lovely eye candy

Graham

James C

The only thing I currently stick to is that I don't run electric units as my railway isn't an electrified line... However as there are more and more good electrified models I'm tempted to apply Rule 1 to that as well.

silly moo

I'm another magpie and buy locos based on colour and shape and wagons because I like the typography. I do try to make up reasonably authentic trains though.

Some rivet counters (and I have seen real ones at a show so they do exist) would point out small faults like livery for instance but miss quite obvious things because there is a sort of convention that applies to model railways.

When you think about it, we model a world that ends at the edge of the baseboard, in which only the trains move. We also miss quite a lot of detail out and you often see locos without drivers, coaches without passengers, trains without lamps vehicles from the wrong era etc.

I haven't seen any real fantasy layouts which I think is a shame, perhaps those trying them have been shouted down by the so-called 'experts' and discouraged from producing them.

Forum challenge perhaps?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations