Groundworks payment

Started by Newportnobby, April 04, 2024, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc-c

Depending on the amount pay it on credit card, or a mix of credit card and bank transfer once the job has been completed to your satisfaction.  Even if you paid £200 on credit card that means you are covered should something go wrong or gets deputed, as it makes the credit card jointly responsible under consumer law.

Regarding the choice of builder, ask for names and addresses of previous clients and then go and talk to them.  If he has a good rep then they will sing his praises.  Or if anyone else in your street has had building work done, knock on their door and ask them if they were happy with their builders and if so do they have the builders details.

If any builder asks for cash up front that's a red flag to me.  Any true builder will have 30 day trade accounts with the companies they use to purchase materials.  If they haven't then that could mean they have been bad payers and the suppliers have stopped offering them credit.

When I've need work doing I've asked for quotes rather than estimates.  If the work is quite involved and could throw up obstacles, and they are insistent on providing estimates rather than quotes, I ask for a max contingency, and then confirm in writing the acceptance of the quote and that you won't be paying no more than the estimate if the work is straight forward or with the contingency cost should it arise.

Good luck 
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

emjaybee

Quote from: Malc-c on April 06, 2024, 10:44:53 AMDepending on the amount pay it on credit card, or a mix of credit card and bank transfer once the job has been completed to your satisfaction.  Even if you paid £200 on credit card that means you are covered should something go wrong or gets deputed, as it makes the credit card jointly responsible under consumer law.

TOTALLY AGREE

Regarding the choice of builder, ask for names and addresses of previous clients and then go and talk to them.  If he has a good rep then they will sing his praises.  Or if anyone else in your street has had building work done, knock on their door and ask them if they were happy with their builders and if so do they have the builders details.

NOT AS STRAIGHT FORWARD AS YOU THINK. THIS CREATES ISSUES WITH DATA PROTECTION. BEFORE YOU CAN GO AND SPEAK TO A 'CUSTOMER' THE BUILDER WOULD NEED TO APPROACH THE CLIENT TO ASK FOR WRITTEN PERMISSION. BUT IF THAT CLIENT HAS NOT GIVEN WRITTEN PERMISSION FOR THE BUILDER TO RETAIN THEIR DETAILS THE BUILDER WILL BE UNABLE TO LEGALLY CONTACT THE CLIENT FOR THIS PURPOSE.

PLUS, THIS IS WIDE OPEN TO MIS-REPRESENTATION AS IT'S TOO EASY TO GET THEIR BROTHER/DAD/BEST MATE ETC. TO 'VOUCH' FOR THEM.

If any builder asks for cash up front that's a red flag to me.  Any true builder will have 30 day trade accounts with the companies they use to purchase materials.  If they haven't then that could mean they have been bad payers and the suppliers have stopped offering them credit.

ON THE CASH FRONT, I AGREE.

ON THE CREDIT ACCOUNT COMMENT, NOT NECESSARILY. CREDIT ACCOUNTS CAN BE A PAIN IN THE PROVERBIALES. NOT HAVING A CREDIT ACCOUNT DOESN'T MAKE A BAD BUILDER.

When I've need work doing I've asked for quotes rather than estimates.  If the work is quite involved and could throw up obstacles, and they are insistent on providing estimates rather than quotes, I ask for a max contingency, and then confirm in writing the acceptance of the quote and that you won't be paying no more than the estimate if the work is straight forward or with the contingency cost should it arise.

YES & NO.

YOU'LL BE LUCKY TO GET A BUILDER TO GIVE YOU A "MAXIMUM" CONTIGENCY FOR UNEXPECTED WORK. UNEXPECTED CAN BE HORRIFIC, ALTHOUGH IT IS UNCOMMON.

Good luck

Just my thoughts from the 'other side of the fence'.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Much is based on the assumption we have a huge choice of artisans up here. I've approached a good half a dozen so called experts and have had just the one return a call or bother to turn up (even then I had to remind him). There is so much house building going on in th'area it seems workmen have contracts so can afford to be ignorant. Mind you, the chap I've found says he can't start for 3-4 weeks as he is busy correcting mistakes (not his) made on new builds.
The tip about using credit card is good. Thank you.

Trainfish

Generally speaking, if they can't start for a few weeks/months for a 4 day job then that's fine. That's usually because they are busy which is often down to having a good name and hopefully not due to them fixing their previous 'male chicken' (changed by forum)-ups elsewhere. If they can start on Monday I wouldn't use them. A 1 day job could be viewed differently of course.
I would personally use someone who has been recommended to me rather than find them in the Yellow Pages or Checkatrade etc. A decent builder doesn't usually need to advertise.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations