Model Train Spotting, Not Live (idea)

Started by zwilnik, July 13, 2016, 03:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

After cringing our way through the first episode of  train spotting live, my brother suggested a not entirely stupid idea.

What about those of us with working layouts contribute a one or two minute video of their trains running (basically whatever you find interesting) with some notes on what it's showing then we montage them all into a 30-45 minute video, possibly with optional commentary as an "N Gauge Train Spotting" video blog.

Would probably be a lot more interesting that what the BBC has come up with! :)

Ditape

It could not be any worse and it might give the BBC a idea to do a Modelling show instead of all the cooking,antique and car shows.
Diane Tape

Skyline2uk

Like this,

Would happily contribute  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Dorsetmike

As for spotting model trains, I remember seeing a lad at a couple of Bristol shows back in the 1980s, going from layout to layout with an Ian Alan combined edition and actually marking off what he saw; often wondered what he thought when he saw the same loco number on more than one layout
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

kirky

Very difficult to do in N gauge. I find it hard enough to read the loco numbers when Ive got the thing in me hand and my eye is ten inches from it.

But I like the idea of a montage of N guage footage.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

railsquid

Interesting idea, but it is indeed tricky with the numbers; here a couple of recent videos I made:

Numbers too blurry to read, though they were quick shots in poor lighting conditions, better camera settings (or a better camera) and lighting might help.

zwilnik

We could do the numbers/names etc. as part of the details with each video.

So you record a 1-2 minute video clip (or edit down to 1-2 minutes). In *LANDSCAPE* of course. Without any voice over. Then add some notes or the narrator and the video info, such as what the loco/train/scenic vista etc. is in the clip, loco numbers or anything you think might be interesting and that can be used in the optional narration and added to the video info.

Feasibly, when they're all stuck together, we end up with a 30-45 minute video with a *lot* of trains and information

mr bachmann

sounds like a great idea, but to keep it looking professional let the subject do the moving and camera still at all times and don't play with the zoom . if possible manual focusing once mastered .

scotsoft

I like the idea but feel there may have to be more than one compilation needed to keep everyone happy.

e.g. Steam, Diesel, EMU's, Continental, American and all the others I have not listed.

Cheers John.

zwilnik

Quote from: scotsoft on July 14, 2016, 03:57:54 PM
I like the idea but feel there may have to be more than one compilation needed to keep everyone happy.

e.g. Steam, Diesel, EMU's, Continental, American and all the others I have not listed.

Cheers John.

Yup. would be easy to start with a general compilation to see just how practical it is to do, then do specific ones.

port perran

I quite like this idea.
Sounds very interesting. Only think is my videoing skills are very poor!
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Chris Morris

My video skills ain't good but here is train spotting on the Ridgacre branch. I was driving and filming at the same time. The whole layout is 44" by 30"

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

zwilnik

What we'll probably need to do is work out somewhere to upload the video clips and info to for collation.

In theory we could do a shared Dropbox folder and pm whoever is collating/narrating to be added to it.

Graham Walters

Quote from: kirky on July 13, 2016, 06:58:24 PM
Very difficult to do in N gauge. I find it hard enough to read the loco numbers when Ive got the thing in me hand and my eye is ten inches from it.

But I like the idea of a montage of N guage footage.

cheers
Kirky

You need to pan the camera with number, then it should stay in focus, will take a bit of practice.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33